Roger Taylor

Yopps

Of Queen...

Roger-roger-taylor-12886069-454-420.jpg

You know I can't recall anyone ever talking about him on these forums, let alone seeing a thread. I was deeply listening to Queen II to other day, I'm really astonished by his playing on that record especially, because he is playing orchestrally. It's up there with my favorite (to play along with) DRUMMERS records, just well placed flourishes, fills and pure taste. Never noticed him much in the grand scheme of things when I was alot younger listeing to Queen albums probably due to the fact of Freddy and Brian, but Rog really adds alot to the Queen's music (and he's always sing one of his own songs on each LP too, hehe), much more then you'd think...

Most would/will probably immedialty think "We Will Rock You" or even "I'm In Love With My Car", but he has done brilliant playing all over Queen's entire catalog, even lesser known songs like White Queen, Stormtroopers in Stilettoes, Death On 2 Legs, Ogre Battle, ect....

I always liked Roger Taylor; he was one of my first drumming idles some 15 to 20 years ago when I was just starting out. I used to watch the Queen tribute video over and over, and play along to it when I could. I was around 14 at the time and had a crappy red Hohner kit - great fun though.

Last edited:
Roger Taylor of Queen, probably one of the biggest influences for me! I also think he is crazy underrated. Singing 4 part harmony while playing is difficult for most. Queen was the 1st Concert that I went to that I chose to go to. I’d been taken to other shows when I was too young to pick the show I wanted to see. I was fortunate enough to see Queen twice. This is from the first show I saw when I was 13, and luckily my uncle was good enough to take me. The show was at the University of Md, College Park, Cole Field House (where the Terps basketball team plays), Queen was the headliner, and Thin Lizzy opened for them. It was an absolutely amazing show, almost like going to the theater. Probably one of my favorite shows to this day. Here are some shots from the Concert Booklet that I got there. I can’t believe that I still have it!
6a1c0cc3.jpg
7a0a9ce0.jpg
52cf90b1.jpg
0539c514.jpg
9f011b80.jpg
d0b82497.jpg
79040c83.jpg
3023efc3.jpg

It wasn’t until I was much older that I realized the scope of what Queen was and what they accomplished.

Last edited:
He's an awesome drummer, their early stuff is superb, but even when they changed their sound for the 80's, when ya hear it live, he's still awesome.

For me the best thing about him is his use of the hi-hat, he opens and closes it in reverse order. ie, opens it on the beat of the snare, it really adds something strange to all their songs. Very cool.

Also, in his early years, he looks like my Auntie Anne!!!!

He's an awesome drummer, their early stuff is superb, but even when they changed their sound for the 80's, when ya hear it live, he's still awesome.

For me the best thing about him is his use of the hi-hat, he opens and closes it in reverse order. ie, opens it on the beat of the snare, it really adds something strange to all their songs. Very cool.

That hi-hat sound is his sound, and what a great finger print he has left on all Queen's music. He was amazing to watch back then, and he still is. He's just a great player!

An odd and unique drummer...outstanding hi-hat development player. That's what I like about his style.

That's what started it for me. Liar came on a Sat morning music show and I flipped out. I started asking people and at the time and no one had heard of them.

He was less flashy than his contemporaries - Bonzo, Moonie, Paice, Ward etc and certainly doesn't have the dexterity of some of the others, but he managed to transpose his solid style over Queen's wide range of styles in a manner reminiscent of Ringo.

That snare of his is tuned super low; it almost sounds like a tom. Can't imagine playing ruffs on it.

I saw Queen in the 70s when Boho Rhapsody was at its height - my favourite show ever (being in the 2nd row helped). Roger was powerful, dynamic, imaginative, versatile and ultra tight ... which will surprise no one.

Too funny! She must be very attractive lol

I liked Queen back in the day but never bought their albums. Four years ago I watched their set at Live Aid '85 and now they're one of my favorite bands. The whole band is amazing including Taylor's drumming and singing. Freddie stirred Wembly into a frenzy.
"The 20 minutes that changed rock and roll history."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omja1ivpx0

When I think of the rock drumming "Gods", Roger Taylor is definitely among them. John Bonham, Ian Paice, Cozy Powell, Carmine Appice, Simon Kirk, Bill Ward, Roger Taylor...those guys were the cream of the crop for me. I'm sure there are others I've not mentioned..Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell, Keith Moon etc., but Roger was definitely happening and he had a one of a kind voice. He used a Ludwig classic maple 6.5x14 snare on alot of dates and it sounded awesome. Big ol' 26" kick drum too. Great drummer and rock icon for sure.

I only like his work on stage, because on stage is where he tells the world what is he made of.

iconic................................

Greetings everyone. Rog is one my favourite drummer. And i've always loved his sound/ recently i tried to find his setup, but unfortunately google gives discrepant information. I e-mailed Zildjian and asked whether they could help me find a "Zildjian artist setup guide 80s" as he began playing this cymbals that years but unfortunately they replyed that it is now almost a collectors issue and that they can't help me. So I ask you maybe anyone has this brochure here I would be very grateful. thnx

Rog - for me his signature is "It's Late". Great for his thundering toms and bass drum, huge snare sound and those mutes on crashes....and a great voice to boot!

Back