Stopping bass drum creeping forwards

laxation

I used to have my bass drum up against my bed so it never moved anywhere.

Since I repositioned my kit, the bass drum keeps moving forwards (slowly, but surely) and gets really annoying having to keep putting it back.

Whats a good way of stopping this happening? Is it as simple as putting a blanket or something behind it?

it's also good to extend the spurs enough so that the front of the bass drum is raised above the floor by an inch or so. and if you have it sitting on a rug over a hard floor, make sure your throne is on the rug too.

Drive a couple of really huge nails down through your parent's floor in front of the bass drum.

it's also good to extend the spurs enough so that the front of the bass drum is raised above the floor by an inch or so. and if you have it sitting on a rug over a hard floor, make sure your throne is on the rug too.
Great tip as long as your throne & bass drum are on the same rug and the spurs dig into the rug you shouldn't. have this problem anymore.

Bonzolead

Drum rug, velcro on the the bottom of your pedal, end of story. Make sure the throne is on the rug as mentioned.

Hey,

I agree with some of the other posts- good drum rug, velcro on the bottom of the pedal, exted the side spurs out, and I'd add ONE more thing- a front center spur on the reso head hoop.

If you don't have one, PM me- I have a new one that I don't use- you pay postage/shipping, and you can buy it DIRT CHEAP!
Cheers,
C. P.

Many times at rehearsal, I don't even unfold the spurs on my bass drum, it's all in the velcro on the pedal. Stop the pedal from moving, problem solved.

Many times at rehearsal, I don't even unfold the spurs on my bass drum, it's all in the velcro on the pedal. Stop the pedal from moving, problem solved.

I'm sure it stops it from moving forward, but doesn't the drum roll from side to side? I'm guessing the kick is virgin........what if you mount toms off it?

Drum rug, velcro on the the bottom of your pedal, end of story. Make sure the throne is on the rug as mentioned.

That's what I was going to say. Even if you could just get some scratchy velcro on the bottom of the pedal, or get the pedal spikes into the rug, that should be enough.

In most cases, people can get away with a small drum rug too. I just has to be big enough to snag the throne, the bass pedal and the hihat pedal. I've never had a problem with stands moving either. I have a small 2' by 3' olefin rug (low profile, like the kind used in public buildings) that fits in my trap case when rolled up.

I'm sure it stops it from moving forward, but doesn't the drum roll from side to side? I'm guessing the kick is virgin........what if you mount toms off it?

It doesn't roll, I don't mount anything on it, it just sits there & goes boom. For most rehearsals I only set up kick-snare-hat. I tried everything you can imagine back when I was a bass drum scooter, before I got my DW pedal with the velcro, it also has little retractable spurs on the base plate which I'm sure help too, I extend them out just a little.

Never heard the velcro idea before. I swear velcro is the best invention ever.

I do have to wonder, Lazation, if you haven't developed some technique issues due to having the bass against a wall, meaning make sure your pressure on the pedal is straight down without any forward push to it. I remember in my youth pushing very much into the drum, twas bad technique.

I've heard that cockleburs on a wool sock were the inspiration for velcro. To bad it wasn't my sock, I'd be rich.

Tie a rope from your bass to your throne.

LOL

Sorry, had to say it.

I used to have this problem BIG TIME. Including at gigs.

Up in my bedrrom (which is where my drumset is), I bought this really huge black carpet to set it on. It digs into the carpet and doesn't move at all. Im guessing its because the bottom of the carpet has rubber on it or something. I dont know for sure, but definitely works.

You can also buy drum mats...I believe....

Back