Difference between a 14x6,5 and a 13x7 snare

eric_B

Would there be much difference between a 14x6,5 and a 13x7 snare of the same model? Or would tuning the 14" a little higher or the 13" a little lower get the same sound?

I can only speak from the perspective of a 14 x 5.5 DW Collectors maple snare compared to a Tama Artwood 13 x 7 maple snare.

Though they are different brands and ply thickness (6 ply for the DW, 7 ply for the Tama) I used the same batter heads and snare wires (Evans HD Dry + Puresound Custom Pro wires)

IMO, the dimensions used by each drum has a specific purpose and objective. It would be extremely difficult (at least for me) to synchronize these 2 dimensions to get the same tone.

The Tama has a unique higher "pop" to it. That is why I ordered that size. I also have a Pacific Blackout 6 x10 popcorn snare whose dimensions are specific to a type of tone (brighter "pop" - such the name)

The 14" has a deeper, fatter tone that I would have a hard time converting to a pop unique to a 13 x 7 snare.

I like both tones, so I get them both and switch between them. My 6 x10 is an awesome side snare with a fricken mean pop to it. I got that drum free with my Zildjian A Custom cymbal set last Black Friday, but all my drumming buddies say it sounds the best.

It's like comparing apples to oranges IMO.

No. The pitch and indeed, the overall sound is different. I own several 14x6.5" and one 13x7". The 13" will never quite have the power and low pitch of the 14".

Well, to talk numbers: it's 7% less diameter, but 8% more depth.

I was wondering because I stumbled upon a Black Magic review in which the reviewer favored the 13x7 for 'sheer power' compared to the 14" snares (no 8"): http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/...e-drums/black-magic-snare-drums-290864/review.

I haven't been able to A-B snares like that myself.

Ah I used to own the 13x7 black magic. It's nice for the price, but it's still an 8 lug drum. I know like all 13's are. I find I get more "power" at higher tensions with pretty much any 14 with 10 lugs cranked. I find 14's cut just as much as 13's with the right heads/tension.

I'd get the 14. I own 1 13inch snare and like a dozen 14's if that says anything. If I was getting another BM snare I'd get the 14x8 or the 14x6.5

It seems to me that the 13" snare drum, no matter how deep it is, will always have a higher pitch than a 14" snare. I can never wrap my head around the sound of a 13" snare, I do like the little 10" and 12" for effect though.

Dennis

Good points about the number of lugs and the brushwork.
I'm still curious how different they would sound if you would tune both the same and use the same heads. Maybe I can give it a try in a store some day.

About the heads: I also noticed there are less 'exotic' 13" heads.

One thing appeals to me about the 13", as a smaller drummer - fits better between my legs and pedals. But I wouldn't sell all my 14"s either.

I can't agree more! As a shorter drummer, deep snares just aren't easy for me to work with unless the diameter drops from a 14". I must admit though, I love the sound of deeper wooden snares. In fact, I've just ordered a new 13x6.5 for my set up!

Back