Spray painting a drum wrap?

KSEfan

One of my friends whose been drumming for like 10 years told me about how he and his friends painted and designed his drum wrap with weird stuff to make his kit look awesome and he said it came out good. Stupid idea here, but I was wondering what anybody thought about doing something like that. What if I took some gloss spray paint to my plain drum wrap for a burst-like finish?

Go crazy. Krylon makes a spray paint, Fusion, that is made to be sprayed on plastic. I'm not sure how well it knocks about but it will adhere.

I'm sure I read an interview with Steve Smith where he said that he had a car body shop spray paint his Sonor phonic kit because he wanted a non-stock bright red finish.

As Gruntersdad says, there are paints designed to cover plastics (think of all the painted plastic on a modern car) but it will be difficult to get a flawless finish if you are just using aerosol cans and have no experience of spray painting. Take care.

TMS

I'm sure I read an interview with Steve Smith where he said that he had a car body shop spray paint his Sonor phonic kit because he wanted a non-stock bright red finish.

As Gruntersdad says, there are paints designed to cover plastics (think of all the painted plastic on a modern car) but it will be difficult to get a flawless finish if you are just using aerosol cans and have no experience of spray painting. Take care.

TMS

+1 it'll be very hard to get a nice looking fade like you had said you wanted to do using spray paint, if anything practice on something else first until you are satisfied with the work then do it on the drums.

i've seen a lot of kits spray painted over the years.....that's like taking a paint brush and a couple gallons of Valspar to a beautiful finish on a car.

If you have access to an airbrush or know of a local body shop that could do it for you, i would go that route before useing an aerosol can. As the others mentiond..if your not a very experienced painter you likely won't be happy with the result.

Back