ways to place 2 condenser mics

haroldo_psf

Hi, I would like to know if the Recorderman method is really the best way to use 2 condenser mics to record drums, or if there are other ways people have found to work as well.

The Recorderman method uses one mic directly above the center of the snare, and one behind and above the drummer's right shoulder, both equidistant from the center of the snare.

Is there any chance that two condenser mics close together in front of the kit will also work decently? Or any other ways?

what are your experiences?

(I'm completely new to recording)

Not sure why 'Recorderman' has become such a fad lately. Just look up 'Stereo Micing Techniques' - there are hundreds of them.

When I'm faced with only two mics, I tend to put one about 24" off of the ground in front of the kit about 24" away, and the other one overhead about two drumstick lengths (from the snare top head) over the center of the kit. Move around to taste. Your room will probably dictate what sounds best though, you'll have to just put the mics in different spots and hear what sounds good to you.

Maybe a year ago or so, someone posted a very in-depth post, complete with pictures, on the pros and cons of a variety of ways of placing the over head mics on here.

I believe the OP may have been referring to a situation where 2 condenser mics are the only mics used when recording the kit.

In those 2 and 3 mic situations, I've had good success with either Recorderman or Glyn Johns method of micing the drums (The GJ method refers to a condenser over the kit, and one pointed across the top of the floor tom at the snare from a few feet back).

Both of those methods are dependent on the room, and having a decent sounding kit in the first place. The best thing to do in any situation is just EXPERIMENT and try different micing styles out.

I've always had success with just an XY facing down into the 'centre' of the kit, tilted slightly towards the cymbals (mic stand behind the drummer). MS is my favourite method of all, but I don't own mics with the necessary polar patterns.

Back