How to protect drums from the cold?

I've left my drums in the band van for two weeks in January during a gig lull. Temps were at or below zero the whole time. Absolutely no damage! I've also left my drums in a covered pick up truck in July in Tucson. At 110 degrees the interior of a vehicle can reach 160 and I do this to my drums every summer. My DW kit has been unaffected by this abuse. The only negative effect i've ever experienced from extreme cold or heat is the drums de-tuning.

I've left my drums in the band van for two weeks in January during a gig lull. Temps were at or below zero the whole time. Absolutely no damage! I've also left my drums in a covered pick up truck in July in Tucson. At 110 degrees the interior of a vehicle can reach 160 and I do this to my drums every summer. My DW kit has been unaffected by this abuse. The only negative effect i've ever experienced from extreme cold or heat is the drums de-tuning.

Extreme temps like those aren't good for vintage wrapped drums. No way.

If you wouldn't leave a Stradivarius in the room, don't leave your drums in there.

I have had Pearl GLX kit stored in an ingested garage in my summerhouse for 26 years. In flightcases. I take them out from time to time and they look exactly like the day they went in. Over a year they could go from -10 deg C to +30.

Mold, water and high humidity is what to watch out for. Temperature is not a problem.

Thanks

Jorn

Back