Elvin Jones's "Puttin' It Together" Available in MP3 Format

Scott K Fish

Silver Member

61fk93fmwl-_ss280.jpg

SKF NOTE: Finally! Blue Note releases this incredible album by the Elvin Jones Trio with Jimmy Garrison (bass) and Joe Farrell (sax, flute) in MP3 format. This was my introduction to Elvin when it was first released as an LP in 1968. Forty-six years later it remains one of my favorite jazz albums, and probably my favorite Elvin Jones album.

In my humblest opinion, Puttin' It Together belongs in every serious drummer's music collection.

Elvin Jones: Puttin' It Together at Amazon

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

61fk93fmwl-_ss280.jpg

SKF NOTE: Finally! Blue Note releases this incredible album by the Elvin Jones Trio with Jimmy Garrison (bass) and Joe Farrell (sax, flute) in MP3 format. This was my introduction to Elvin when it was first released as an LP in 1968. Forty-six years later it remains one of my favorite jazz albums, and probably my favorite Elvin Jones album.

In my humblest opinion, Puttin' It Together belongs in every serious drummer's music collection.

Elvin Jones: Puttin' It Together at Amazon

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Thanks for the heads up. This album (and the drumming on it) is about as bad as it gets. A few years ago I sprung for the Mosaic box of Elvin's complete Blue Note recordings (which includes the session for "Puttin' It Together"), and it was worth every cent. One of the things I like about the early Blue Note trio albums by Elvin is how high in the mix Jimmy Garrison's bass is. That and the lighter playing of Joe Farrell (well, and also the absence of piano) make these an interesting contrast to the records Elvin made with Coltrane earlier in the 60's.

I love Elvin in trio settings. Maybe I'll put together a list. The companion Blue Note date to Puttin' It Together - The Ultimate - is also a must-have. But it's also an out-of-print CD and, as far as I can tell, unavailable as a single album in MP3 format.

Elvin Live at the Village Vanguard is another favorite trio date. Elvin kills on this album from start to finish with head shaking drumming that will make you smile. The trio is Elvin with George Coleman on sax, Wilbur Little on bass. Boy, if there are any unreleased tracks from this session - I would love to hear them.

Scott K Fish

Absolutely. It really was the "gateway" album for me and I actually heard it before any Coltrane quartet stuff. It blew me away how-I can't find the right words-how perfectly integrated, balanced, organic, dynamic, swinging it was. I was able to get a new copy of it by chance and found a used copy of The Ultimate that was in decent condition a few months later.

Another album I love him on is McCoy Tyner's Trident with Ron Carter. Also, Lee Konitz's Motion with Sonny Dallas on bass. And I'm not sure what the original album is, but there's a double album compilation called The Big Beat with Max, Art, Philly Joe & Elvin. I got him to sign it for me but it got stolen some years back. The last track on Elvin's side is called 'Six and Four', a tune by Oliver Nelson. It has Elvin's brother Hank on Piano and Art Davis on Bass and if I had to have one "Desert Island" track, it would be that one.

I will have to check out the Village Vanguard CD.

Last edited:
I own it on vinyl and CD

one of Elvins finest

any drummer who doesn't own this should pull a hamstring rushing to get it

Back