Living next to an unemployed toolman!

I have always found with neighbor disputes that being open, honest, and kind is the best solution. Taking passive aggressive actions or being a jerk usually only results in reciprocal behavior. Walking over to talk to him or even writing a kind letter will almost undoubtedly have a better result.

"We both live with are mothers and are way too old to do so, but sometimes shit happens. I finally found an apartment elsewhere so my problem will be solved within a couple of weeks."

Well, if you are moving out in a couple weeks, why not just tough it out? You haven't said whether your mom (or anyone else in the vicinity) also has a problem with his noise. Why cause a bunch of trouble and leave your mother with a neighbor with a chip on his shoulder, and you're not even there any more?

Thanks for all the advise, but i certainly won't call the cops on him like some of you suggested. That just isn't my style. My mother says it doesn't bother her and the other neighbors don't mind, so i guess the best thing to do is just sit out these last few weeks.

Do you live in an industrial area? Is it zoned for that amount of work related noise? Is he licensed to work out of his home? If he has really turned his house into a workshop, I would check with your local city ordinance to see if he's permitted to carry on like this.

I guess that's the difference between American and European (mostly us in the north) people. Even though disturbance, someone using their tools, making noices everyday, we don't complain and especially not to the cops.

I guess that's the difference between American and European (mostly us in the north) people. Even though disturbance, someone using their tools, making noices everyday, we don't complain and especially not to the cops.

Nice attempt at taking a shot at Americans there buddy. However the original poster is from "The frozenlands of Holland". Sounds like he's one of you "mostly in the north" Europeans.

I have the same situation, but worse, I can take the guy next door with his power tools, it's the illegal day care center to the north of me, that part of my house has no window, so these kids kick soccor balls into the side of my house at all hours, noise is one thing, but this is doing damage to my house, I've told them to stop, but they are renters and not owners, so they are just waiting to get evicted....which is taking for ever. and if I play drums, they take that as a sign to start kicking balls into my wall super hard...it's not going to end well (6)...

Nice attempt at taking a shot at Americans there buddy. However the original poster is from "The frozenlands of Holland". Sounds like he's one of you "mostly in the north" Europeans.

I didn't want to offend you, buddy. :)
Just an observation of mine. I love you americans, most of the time.

Back