Update on Leo

leo_battery

Hello to all my friends in drumming!!!!!!!!!
I'm very glad to be back again ,here i post some pics from our last concert , im using the gear that some friends generously send it to me.I wish i can have better pics , when i have the posibilty i will post more of the drums.Im included a small video take.For me it's a big step to use this gear , my Dw7000 is perfect , with my old pedals i was not able to do many things that im doing now , and the cymbals , superb , they change the overal sound of my drumming.Thank you very much to all who helped me or supported me in all this time.You know who you are and my friends are always in my thougths.

Attachments

• DSC06039.JPG
    DSC06039.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 663
  • DSC06059.JPG
    DSC06059.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 661
  • DSC06063.JPG
    DSC06063.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 665
  • DSC05985.JPG
    DSC05985.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 649
  • MOV06160.mpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 308
Hey Leo, the kit looks fantastic. You've not explained that those shells are different to the ones in your original thread, and that you've done a full refurbishment job on them. Here's some pictures of the work in progress shells.

As always Leo, I'm very proud of your achievements. The kit sounds great, you sound great, & the work you've put into those shells really shows. Keep posting your stuff. There's a bunch of guys here who are really interested to hear of your progress.

Continue to inspire my friend, Andy.

Attachments

• DSC05690.JPG
    DSC05690.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 567
  • DSC05692.JPG
    DSC05692.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 567
  • DSC05719.JPG
    DSC05719.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 570
  • DSC05721.JPG
    DSC05721.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 570
The kit looks great mate, the drumming is pretty awesome too. As always it shows how much great drumming is a part of the drummer rather than just the drums, although what you've got now is no doubt a big improvement over the original kit.

This is great!
This is really one of the best things i've seen on DW.
Someone shows his gear, which is not the best of the world, but he is proud of it.
And then someone comes with the idea of giving him gear. I don't know exactly how to say this in correct english, but I really like it when people do this kind of things. If I lived somewhere closer, and I had some gear or money to buy something, I would have definately helped!

And Leo, great playing, I wish I could play that fast!.
Good luck with your gear and band!!

Bram

i am still a bit of a new arrival on the forum and just read this, wow it really is great, and has
also opened my eyes to the difficulties of drumming in cuba. and also how much we take for
granted in the USA, going to the nice drum store is easy, and now i wont forget how luck i am for that.

my Dw7000 is perfect , with my old pedals i was not able to do many things that im doing now ,
Leo, never, ever, ever throw your original double pedal away. The fact that your pedal was cast & fabricated from scratch tells me everything I need to know about your drumming ethic. Great picture in the green light BTW. Quite the better looking version of John Travolta. More importantly, great to see you smile.

This is great!
This is really one of the best things i've seen on DW.
Someone shows his gear, which is not the best of the world, but he is proud of it.
And then someone comes with the idea of giving him gear.

Bram

I think it would be an incredible thing to do here as a community for those drummers out there who have never seen a GC or have access to ANY sort of music/drum shop.

If someone would be willing to handle the legistics and spearhead the cause, I will donate a kickin' snare drum (one of many I don't use).

Leo, you ROCK!
Keep up the great work brother and stay encouraged.

I think it would be an incredible thing to do here as a community for those drummers out there who have never seen a GC or have access to ANY sort of music/drum shop.

If someone would be willing to handle the legistics and spearhead the cause, I will donate a kickin' snare drum (one of many I don't use).
A great idea in principal, & I'm the kinda guy who really gets his teeth into such a project, but it's also prudent to be realistic.

We got the Leo appeal going on the back of lots of posters offering help. It appeared that, all that was necessary was for someone to pick up the batton & run with it. To be brutally honest, a lot of the help offered in the original thread failed to materialise and the job was completed by a handful of enthusiastic members.

Other practical considerations also pose significant challenges. If we're talking about getting donated drum stuff to parts of the world where there is no reasonable access to drums, or the personal funds to make it happen, then transport & logistical issues become the biggest cost centre. Getting stuff to central China or Africa for example, would prove prohibitively expensive and probably unreliable. Import restrictions, embargos, mega high duty rates, impossible paperwork, etc, are all factors that must be taken into account. Just the cost of consolidating donated items is an issue in itself.

I have a lot of global business contacts who can do many things, but their reach rarely extends to the proposed target areas. I'm very experienced in shipping stuff and doing business around the world, and I'm acutely aware of the pitfalls.

If there was a real will to do something on a forum scale, then count me in. Maybe hooking up with a charity would help identify worthwhile causes and cut through the logistical costs & red tape. Everything is possible, but requires considerable effort & long term commitment to pull it off. To be up front, I'd want to see an official backing from the forum before I step forward to take any significant role in such a venture.

Leo was a "one of a kind" case. He came to the forum asking for nothing. The effort he put into making his own gear was way beyond what most of us would consider doing. He lives in an environment where buying reasonable drum gear was next to impossible. Ok, you can get this gear in Cuba, but Leo would have to put all of his earnings into the gear for the next 20 years to come even close, & then he has to eat & live. Put simply, he inspired myself & others to go & do something.

I'm very happy to see all my friends comments, all of that makes me feel in a way that i have have friends that i don't know them personally but they care for me , and for my person that's one of the most important things in the world.Thank to all of you , you make me bigger in feelings , i had learned a lot from this and as i say in past post , all the times count on me.

great to hear your doing well leo, i joined the forum recentely enough and just found the thread. what kit are you playing now?

Just read through this whole story and I'm blown away by the sheer generocity!! It's just really inspiring. The kit looks great as well.

This forum gets better and better each day.

I'm never going to complain about my kit ever again!

Just read through this whole story and I'm blown away by the sheer generocity!! It's just really inspiring. The kit looks great as well.

This forum gets better and better each day.

It is a great story Sarah, & I was honored to play a small part in it. Getting the stuff into Cuba was a challenge. Leo has continued to inspire me, & it was one of Drummerworld's finest hours IMO.

To update those who've joined the forum in the last year' here's the appeal thread http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55387&page=2

& here's the original thread http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8061&page=4

You must not complain about it...you should be proud of your drum-kit, several people around the world "wish & hope" to have a kit like yours - at least.

- a good drummer can make a rubbish bin sound good! :)

Leo:

I wish You and Colleagues - All The Best.

You must not complain about it...you should be proud of your drum-kit, several people around the world "wish & hope" to have a kit like yours - at least.

- a good drummer can make a rubbish bin sound good! :)

Haha well it's a Roland so I don't know if you can make them sound "better" or whatever :)

But I wont complain again that's for sure! :)

I've just realised Leos last post on this thread was 2010....and I forgot it's 2011 now! :D

I too wasn't around when all of this was going down...but I really want to applaud all of those involved in helping Leo... Leo, I applaud you for your ambition and tenacity in making do with what you had. I think it would be really great to see this kind of project take off. Perhaps each year the group could try and locate someone in need and we could all pitch in.

I did want to ask if Leo was able to get some new drum heads sent to him since he was having problems with broken ones, or have they become easier for him to acquire now that his band is receiving some notoriety.

Anyway...Cheers to all of you guys!

Back