Mounting Floor Toms

Hey I've heard quite a few things bad things about the way my floor toms are mount. My 14" and 16" are mounted on one side by a ball tilter to a heavy duty cymbal stand. My kit is Taye, and as far as I can tell, they have a lot of tom mounts like this. Does mounting my floor toms like this damage the shell? I've had the kit for about 5 months and I've seen no damage. Thanks.

Pics would help us to figure that out.

Based only on what you've said, I'd say no, assuming that the tom mounts are meant for that purpose (hanging mounts) and are not floor tom leg mounts. If it is the latter, they MIGHT be okay, but just know that the leg clamps are not designed to withstand the lateral force of the drum- hanging and bouncing while being played. They might be strong enough. They might not be. Only time can tell.

But again, if you're using the factory designed hanging tom mount, you're in good shape.

If it came from the factory configured to be used like that, you're fine. If it's something you rigged up yourself make sure most of the mass of the drum and the center of gravity is under the mount (in other words, you may have to turn your drum upside down, switch heads if necessary). Pics of your drums would help us all make recommendations

yea thats how the drums came from the factory. i guess im in good shape. thank you two for verifying this for me.

I'd say your ok.
the rehearsal studio i sometimes practice out of has the Taye studio maple's set up in there rooms. with 16" floors suspended on heavy duty hardware. its a pretty busy place, so for the amount of use they actually see they seem to hold up fairly well.

You should be fine, since they we're desinged that way. Just make sure you check up on all your hardware every now and then. I have a low-end Taye Rock Pro and the majority of the hardware has failed on me so, just be careful.

Back