New CD Set Combines Six 1961 Coltrane Quartet with Dolphy Shows

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
[SKF NOTE: I have yet to do a complete inventory, but I know I have several cuts from at least some of these shows on various Coltrane albums. Every cut I've heard has first-class, experimental, straight-ahead musicianship. And Elvin Jones plays great throughout.

Acrobat says of this release on their web site: "This is to some extent a sequel to our 2014 release of “All Of You: The Last Tour 1960” by The Miles Davis Quintet featuring John Coltrane, as it presents ‘live’ recordings from Coltrane’s European tour the following year."
]

Jazz
John Coltrane: So Many Things – The European Tour 1961 CD review
John Fordham - Thursday 5 February 2015 14.15*EST

5067385.jpg

There’s been plenty of bootlegged material over the years from this celebrated 1961 tour by John Coltrane with saxophonist and bass clarinetist Eric Dolphy.... Now Acrobat has remastered tapes from six shows in Paris, Copenhagen, Helsinki and Stockholm and pulled them into a useful four-disc set....

Coltrane had not long formed his “classic” quartet with pianist McCoy Tyner, bassist Jimmy Garrison and drummer Elvin Jones, and in 1961 had also forged a brief but creative association with Dolphy. Their fearless stretching of the postbop envelope remains enthralling (at times even shocking) in its intensity, and the set pinpoints how the same pieces (including Blue Train, Impressions, My Favourite Things and Naima) change from night to night.

Acoustics are inevitably uneven, but students of Coltrane’s gamechanging work at a conceptual turning point won’t mind that.

Full Story

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Back