Benny Greb's DVD about Groove

Is this a new way of getting funding? Just blatantly ask for money? I like Benny and enjoy his playing, but this new approach is a new thing for me. So you're asking us to donate money, and then when the DVD comes out, we still have to buy it?

How did he fund the first DVD?

This is the new wave. "Crowdsourcing". People throw up an idea they have, ask folks to chip in, and the "investors" get a piece of the pie, or at least a product.

It's part of the Steve Jobs legacy of throw enough shit against the wall, and keep what sticks. Fail fast-fail hard. There's no more really working it out first, just keep slinging it. The old monkeys writing Shakespear bit.

With a known quality like a great drummer who has had very well received videos in the past, I suppose it's a way to self produce and get more of the returns. Rather than being a hired gun from a production company like Hudson, in this he owns all the rights and the folks who helped fund it only get a copy. I guess it works for everyone in a way. I certainly support a way for working musicians to get more for their efforts.

I guess all those "entrepreneurs" on indiegogo and gofundme are hoping for the same thing. That their idea is the next iPhone and they'll get it all less the few samples they give out to the folks who bankrolled it.

Is this a new way of getting funding? Just blatantly ask for money? I like Benny and enjoy his playing, but this new approach is a new thing for me. So you're asking us to donate money, and then when the DVD comes out, we still have to buy it?

How did he fund the first DVD?

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, but you contribute by buying the dvd before it is released, and when (if) he reaches the desired amount, you get sent your copy. I think it's a very good idea, considering the dvd is cheaper if you buy it as a perk by supporting the crowdfunding thing. Otherwise, he would have to ask a company for support.

Dunno I you've checked this out yet?

Benny Greb - Why crowd funding? How does it work?

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, but you contribute by buying the dvd before it is released, and when (if) he reaches the desired amount, you get sent your copy. I think it's a very good idea, considering the dvd is cheaper if you buy it as a perk by supporting the crowdfunding thing. Otherwise, he would have to ask a company for support.

No, I hadn't checked that out. I was wondering if he was going to say how that all works in the video? I know he's a great player and educator, so he coulda' just talked about how this new funding idea worked and left it at that.

Many times, 10.00 gets you the CD or the digital download. 15.00 gets you the CD. 25.00 may get you the video, 40 may get you the CD and Video. Many variable I have seen to these programs.

No, I hadn't checked that out. I was wondering if he was going to say how that all works in the video? I know he's a great player and educator, so he coulda' just talked about how this new funding idea worked and left it at that.

Is all there on the link I posted. That's all you need to know.

Many times, 10.00 gets you the CD or the digital download. 15.00 gets you the CD. 25.00 may get you the video, 40 may get you the CD and Video. Many variable I have seen to these programs.

20 gets you the video, for download in HD no DRM, no restrictions.

Last edited:
I like it, if you're a fan then you donate and get to enjoy more of Benny's fantastic drumming, if you're not then you don't and move on, sounds good to me!

If you like it then spread the word friend.

You can either donate to get the project done or you can buy perks to get different goodies, from the finished product to the gear he would use to film it.

That's exactly it, plus you get a plethora of choices.

This is the new wave. "Crowdsourcing". People throw up an idea they have, ask folks to chip in, and the "investors" get a piece of the pie, or at least a product.

It's part of the Steve Jobs legacy of throw enough shit against the wall, and keep what sticks. Fail fast-fail hard. There's no more really working it out first, just keep slinging it. The old monkeys writing Shakespear bit.

With a known quality like a great drummer who has had very well received videos in the past, I suppose it's a way to self produce and get more of the returns. Rather than being a hired gun from a production company like Hudson, in this he owns all the rights and the folks who helped fund it only get a copy. I guess it works for everyone in a way. I certainly support a way for working musicians to get more for their efforts.

I guess all those "entrepreneurs" on indiegogo and gofundme are hoping for the same thing. That their idea is the next iPhone and they'll get it all less the few samples they give out to the folks who bankrolled it.

Just to make it clear in Benny's case he just didn't threw up an idea to see if it would get crowdfunded. He put a script together and now he needs to film it. He has been working on it for a couple of years.
I don't understand why people always find the negativity in everything. The beauty of this is that the product gets directly from the producer to the consumer, no middle man, no b.s.
Regardless of reality people should be smart enough to figure out what to do in cases like this.

Yup.

Bo, it's also a matter of making sure there's demand for the thing. Obviously if someone needs a tenth of a million dollars to make a dvd, they want to know they'll get that much in profit before spending it. If there's not enough demand- all the money gets returned and the creator pivots.

Yup.

Bo, it's also a matter of making sure there's demand for the thing. Obviously if someone needs a tenth of a million dollars to make a dvd, they want to know they'll get that much in profit before spending it. If there's not enough demand- all the money gets returned and the creator pivots.

I get it. I don't think anyone is "seeing the negative" here. I'm just asking the question. This is like a new paradigm for funding, because obviously, somebody funded his first DVD set. You would think they wouldn't mind funding another one.

I did read where Terry Bozzio was comparing what he does now to when he was in Missing Persons, and the fact that he probably makes more money now because he's not paying the record company for anything - it's just him, his cousin (or somebody), his kit, and they tour around doing concerts. Very hand-to-mouth gratification, and that's cool. With the band, you're dealing with vendors, crews, exposure, marketing, transportation....you need someone sponsoring to pay for all that. I'm no longer surprised when I see a big name artist with the "Best Buy" logo on their marketing campaign materials (or any big corporate name, for that matter).

Back