Travis Barker: Underrated or Overrated? What do you think of him?

He is both...Nevertheless, He is a drummer... and drummers rock!

I don't think it really matters. Just another chance for silly arguing.

I've actually never heard him play, just read about him in magazines. So I can't answer the actual question.

But . . .

It's fairly cliche to start thinking something or someone who is popular is "overrated." In fact, they may just be "too popular." I think it's easy to become too popular, but difficult to tell if something or someone is overrated. I think it takes historical hindsight to determine if something or someone is overrated.

Personally, I respect anyone who has achieved making a living from playing drums.

If you compare him with Marco Minnemann, of course he is overrated. In any case, I can think of him as an entertaining drummer. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It's fairly cliche to start thinking something or someone who is popular is "overrated." In fact, they may just be "too popular." I think it's easy to become too popular, but difficult to tell if something or someone is overrated. I think it takes historical hindsight to determine if something or someone is overrated.

Personally, I respect anyone who has achieved making a living from playing drums.

I totally agree with JBoom, in this case, the "too popular" might apply here, every famous drummer has given something to the drumming community, whatever we like or don't like a particular drummer.

Travis Barker is a very good drummer, shame he doesn't play in band which I happen to like, I never been a fan of Blink182.

Underrated or overrated.....personally I couldn't give a toss. I'll leave that for the fanboys, detractors and everyone else who seems to comment on youtube without the first clue of what it is they're commenting about.

What do I think of him? This covers my thoughts exceptionally well I think.

Sure there's a ton of drummers I'd prefer to listen to over Travis Barker, but that doesn't change the fact that he's the best Travis Barker there is. He's out there doing it, being acknowledged for it and most importantly, getting paid for it. What more can he do? What more should he do?

He's without question the king and savior of modern drumming. Before Travis, people had no alternative to the obviously painful sub-standard drumming of people like Ringo, Meg White, or worse, Peart who is nothing but a huge ego with bad sounding drums. Then Travis Barker hits the scene, bringing back real drumming with passion, dynamics and feel. I think the best part about his drumming is how innovative it is.

He's constantly pushing the boundaries of the very essence of what it means to be a drummer, and I think any rating is an under-rating, because it's hard to even define what it is he does that's so awesome. Basically, he's so far ahead of us that it will take some time to figure out what's really going on.

He's without question the king and savior of modern drumming. Before Travis, people had no alternative to the obviously painful sub-standard drumming of people like Ringo, Meg White, or worse, Peart who is nothing but a huge ego with bad sounding drums. Then Travis Barker hits the scene, bringing back real drumming with passion, dynamics and feel. I think the best part about his drumming is how innovative it is.

He's constantly pushing the boundaries of the very essence of what it means to be a drummer, and I think any rating is an under-rating, because it's hard to even define what it is he does that's so awesome. Basically, he's so far ahead of us that it will take some time to figure out what's really going on.

Now you're making me want to listen to Travis Barker for the first time! I find more and more reason to respect your opinions.

I'm also with JBoom on this one. The man is making a living playing his drums and that's more than I could ask for. Oddly enough, I don't listen to any of their songs, though. But I respect anyone who's out there doing it and putting food on the table with it, because I know how hard that can be when you just try to do it with your drums. So I'm cool with whatever Travis, or any other person in his shoes, does.

In fact, I had a brush with greatness some time ago when I went to a party and this guy introduced himself to me and told me he played drums on one of Britney Spear's tours (weird way to start a conversation though), but as soon as the tour was over, he was back at it doing work as a plumber, or whatever it was he was doing. I don't remember his name. So in this light, if you can have any kind of career playing your instrument and can continue to do so for more than three years, you get my respect. You might not get my ear, but that's ok.

I appreciate your sarcasm. It makes me happy on the inside :D

The thing is, the drummer himself has nothing to do with whether he's over-rated or under-rated or whatever. He just does his thing and other people decide. Very few drummers out there are saying, "I'm the greatest (except Buddy)" and I really doubt Travis would argue that he's under-rated. Like everyone else he plays his gig the best he can and that's it. Moron haters and fan-boys are the ones who start this kind of stuff.

He has been in the right place at the right time to cultivate endorsements, fame and a steady income stream. Not my type of music, therefore not my type of drummer. But I respect what he has done and his legions of fans. 30 years ago, I probably would have been a big fan. 30 years from now, Travis may be playing on the 50th Anniversary Burning For Buddy Memorial Concert.

GJS

He's one of my earliest influences, he's very creative, thinks outside the square, and his material is absolutely littered with 'I would never have thought to play that' moments. Not everything he does is impressive, but he tries to leave his mark on everything he does.

Those who aren't too keen on Blink 182 should check out +44, it's so much better than the recent Blink 182 stuff.

To me he now just a meme. He is mentioned in the comments of every youtube drum video because it's supposed to be funny. Is it funny though? Yes. Yes it is.

You know how on any good music video on youtube some moron makes a Justin Bieber comment?
Yeah, drummers have been doing that with Travis before it was cool. 8)

He's a good drummer, I don't get why people feel the need to go "OH THIS GUY IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN TRAVIS BARKER" on an unrelated jazz drum video.

Millions of people love Ringo Starr, I don't see people criticising him because he doesn't have Tony Royster chops.

To me he now just a meme. He is mentioned in the comments of every youtube drum video because it's supposed to be funny. Is it funny though? Yes. Yes it is.

So it's meant to be funny? It seems like in every single drum related youtube clip, the main focus of the commentary is Barker. It makes more sense if people say it just be hilarious, similar to screaming Freebird at a concert. But, even if people mention him initially to be funny, it always seems like there is a genuine discussion of people arguing over his ability after that. Often the top rated comments!

Who's doing the rating? Who cares about who's doing the rating?

Anyone who is popular can be considered overrated -- especially if they're flashy and depend on theatrics -- which he does.

Having said that -- the guy can play -- no doubt.

Back