DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-19-2017, 07:33 AM

Default Poor Mapex

In this sea of drum makers, these guys just cant buy respect. I personally think they make wonderful drums don't you?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Poor Mapex

Well, I think they make excellent drums for a good price. But I kinda agree, they probably will never gain as much respect in the drumming community as their close competitors, Tama, Pearl, Yamaha etc. Might be because they came into the business as late as they did, and seems like many have a problem with their name. They do make excellent drums though, I have a Saturn IV kit myself. They have a sound of their own, and as good as any of the high-end kits on the market, in my opinion. Not to forget the Black Panther series either.

Last edited by petrez; 04-19-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonormapex View Post
In this sea of drum makers, these guys just cant buy respect. I personally think they make wonderful drums don't you?
I wouldn't be too concerned, it's a brand, not a person. And they're still in business right?

Dutch
Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

I'd never really heard of them until I saw Billy Cobham was playing an Orion kit, and a few years later a friend of mine bought a Meridian kit that made my Gretsch Catalina maple set sound pretty lame. I started poking around and was lucky to pick up a new Saturn IV 5 pc for less than cost. Really enjoyed everything about them except the 22x20 bass drum was pretty unwieldy and I'm not crazy about triple flange hoops.

About a year ago I saw a deal on a new Black Panther Black Widow kit for crazy less than the going price and bought it. I've got couple other kits and it puts both of them to shame. Beautiful bearing edges and shells. Tom mounts/clamps are top notch. Hoops are sonic clear brushed nickel. Finish is transparent Black Lacquer. Coolest stock bass drum reso head out there! LOL..... and some great looking badges! 2nd only to Odery's custom shop badges in my opinion.

The thing I've noticed most about them is they sound really good with a variety of different heads. Single ply, 2 ply take your pick. Tune 'em up and lets go ! My only beef with the kit is the floor tom legs are a little short, another 2 inches would have been nice. They check ALL the boxes for me soundwise. That's all I can ask out a kit.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Gold Member

Mapex.... in a hurry

- Silly name (reminds me of a Linux-Operating System)
- Very "different" hardware design (=for me: not classy, not really pretty to look at)
- missing some classic, subtle finishes (too much *bling bling*)
- fantastic sound
- great value
- okay hardware

my 2 cents
Old 04-19-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Exactly. KHS own several drum brands, including Mapex & Sonor. Additionally, they're involved in the manufacture of a ton of other drum brands in one form or another. They also manufacture multiple other instrument forms, so "poor" doesn't exactly figure in their fortunes right now.

Some of the Mapex branded drums are certainly great products offering excellent value for money, so I'm sure their future is looking good.
At the same time though, no matter how good your product is, if you don't have the "je ne sais quoi" as the French say so eloquently, you're doomed!

Dutch
Old 04-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Gold Member

I just wish they would stop putting those silly label's on there product's. Their new Design Lab Snare's are nice, I like the Mahogany Snare in particular but with a name like "The Heartbreaker" IDK it just seems to take the High End out of it. Seems hard to take it serious. They have wonderful Hardware, I own several Falcon products and they are as nice as any other brand I have seen or own. I have never had any regret to my Saturn V purchase, I paid $2200 for a 6 pc kit. That's a lot of money to me and I took that purchase very seriously. I have plenty of sound files to back them up. I think some thing's should just be left alone, they know exactly where they stand in this business. Just being associated with KHS and Sonor says something. I think loosing JOE HIBBS was a big loss for them, they came a long way after he got on board. They still honor him on there FB page and its been like a year since his passing.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

I own 2 Mapex kits so I'll chime in. They offer a great product for a great price and their sound is really awesome and modern. Their hardware is innovative and they are consistently trying to improve.

While I think their beginner, intermediate and semi pro lines rival any other brand out there, I think one of their missteps was discontinuing the Orion Series. That was a top of the like custom kit that could rival what other brands were doing at the pro level. As good as the Saturn Series is, it just doesn't seem to be on par with other "flagship lines" from other companies. Maybe it is the price point, maybe it is the lack of custom options, but a DW Collectors, a Gretsch USA Custom or a Ludwig Classic Maple ect just seem more appealing to me if I were a pro drummer going with a flagship kit.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Poor Mapex??? They seem to be doing fine-growing in popularity. I was recently checking out a used Meridian maple because of their popularity. Funny the average couch probably weighs 4x's that of a nice kit and most cost less. Sadly I spend way more time on my couch (actually I have a leather recliner I call my narcolepsy chamber) than my kit. I didn't realize that both Sonor and Mapex were owned by KHS now.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Since joining this board 5 years ago I can safely say Mapex has only grown immensely in popularity. They are going great.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:35 PM

Agreed on the name lol
Sounds like some canadian brand that should be producing consumables (fyi i am canadian)

Cant say much about the product. Never played them before. However a lot of canadian merchants carry them in stock (LM, COSMOS, STEVES MUSIC, JUST DRUMS)

especially long and mcquade likes to overstock their shelves with random mapex hardware... and Gibraltar
Old 04-19-2017, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStroke View Post
Agreed on the name lol
Sounds like some canadian brand that should be producing consumables (fyi i am canadian)

Lol.. I was going to say that "Mapex" sounds like a brand of sanitary pads for Vermont'ers.

Last edited by KamaK; 04-19-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:45 PM
TripleStroke
This message has been deleted by TripleStroke.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Unfortunately, Sticks4Drums has permanently damaged their reputation. There's no coming back from that type of buffoonery in your name.

Fun fact: "Buffoonery" is in the Chrome spellcheck dictionary!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Unfortunately, Sticks4Drums has permanently damaged their reputation. There's no coming back from that type of buffoonery in your name.
Mapped Saturn

Make sure those badges are facing the correct direction!!!

Mapped Saturn
Old 04-19-2017, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

Drummers have long memories. Mapex came on strong in the late 80's but the product that was being shipped at that time had terrible quality issues. Many shops were inundated with returns and unfortunately this bad reputation seems to have been retained in some drummer's eyes.

Mapex is making very nice drums these days but just do not seem to have been able to break into that next level.

Canada's version of Guitar Center -Long and McQuade's is the exclusive distributor of Mapex and make every effort to push the brand in Canada to the detriment of other brands. You go into your local L&M and more than 50% of the drum sets on the floor are Mapex.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with the early QC missteps having some impact on the brand, but a large part of it is also (in my opinion) the thrust and tone of their marketing and design. The brand has targeted a younger demographic and a certain genre of player with their advertising, their branding, and even things like the MyDentity line. The names of some of their products are a little over the top as well (Armory! Sledge Hammer!) For drummers that fall outside those target demographics, that can cause a little bit of hesitation in embracing the brand. Even the name itself sounds like an '80s cartoon starring an outer-space robot.

For the record: I own a Mapex snare drum, and play a Mapex kit regularly in one of my steady gigs, and have no overall issues with the quality of the drums.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

I love my Saturn III's. I will likely never sell them. Even if I don't play them that much (I have too many kits), they are so unique that I will ever find a kit like them again.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:25 PM

Definately do agree that they seem to focus on the younger audience of drummers nowadays, a lot of flashy finishes and model names... I do see that it excludes a lot of potential older, "classic" drummers from their branding. I still get comments today (by other drummers, usually ignorant ones...) of why I chose to buy a Mapex kit for that kind of money (of my big Saturn kit). "Isn't Mapex basically a ripoff of Tama?" I guess a lot of people also think of their cheap kits automatically when hearing the name, at least around here that's what people see the most, the cheap Mapex V kits. And really basic hardware that's usually the cheapest of what the music stores carry, bought by all the first time drummers out there.

I don't know, I try not to get affected myself and I know that the drums sound good. At the same time, I also know that price was a big issue at the time I bought mine, and if I did have more money at the time, I probably would have bought one of the other kits I considered (Sonor Prolite, Yamaha Hybrid Maple, Tama Starclassic Maple, to name a few). At the moment I have enough money to swap out my Saturn for one of those kits instead, but I really can't justify doing it other than for the sake of change itself and maybe a step up reputation wise (however dumb that may sound). So I don't think it's going to happen.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:38 PM

We had a Saturn 1 at my church and I just never could seem to dial in a sound I liked out of it. Really kind of soured the brand for me. That and the terrible resale value.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

I play a Saturn V as my main kit for one simple reason, it sounds amazing. Before I spend the money on a new kit I played everything I could. I really wanted a Tama B/B Starclassic, and almost pulled the trigger on a set, but the Saturns just sounded "better". But I understand why some people would be reluctant. As somebody said earlier, drummers have long memories. I grew up playing on the power tom kits of the 1980's and as such I wont play a Ludwig or Pearl. I am sure they make great kits, but the all Ludwigs I played looked and felt cheap and the Pearl's had that crappy mounting system where the arm went through the shell. I dont feel bad for Mapex, they are doing well enough I think. They just need to market their top end drums as a professional kit and get away from the silly names and "mydentitiy" stuff. I would also say their snares are among some of the most popular on the market, so they are probably doing OK.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

The name Mapex seems to suggest that the drums are made of Maple. It just doesn't sound right. Kind of like 'ACME' from the Road Runner cartoons.

Aside from the name, I find their lugs and mounting hardware to be not especially inviting.

Those reasons alone prevent me from even checking them out.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrez View Post
Definately do agree that they seem to focus on the younger audience of drummers nowadays, a lot of flashy finishes and model names... I do see that it excludes a lot of potential older, "classic" drummers from their branding. I still get comments today (by other drummers, usually ignorant ones...) of why I chose to buy a Mapex kit for that kind of money (of my big Saturn kit). "Isn't Mapex basically a ripoff of Tama?" I guess a lot of people also think of their cheap kits automatically when hearing the name, at least around here that's what people see the most, the cheap Mapex V kits. And really basic hardware that's usually the cheapest of what the music stores carry, bought by all the first time drummers out there.

I don't know, I try not to get affected myself and I know that the drums sound good. At the same time, I also know that price was a big issue at the time I bought mine, and if I did have more money at the time, I probably would have bought one of the other kits I considered (Sonor Prolite, Yamaha Hybrid Maple, Tama Starclassic Maple, to name a few). At the moment I have enough money to swap out my Saturn for one of those kits instead, but I really can't justify doing it other than for the sake of change itself and maybe a step up reputation wise (however dumb that may sound). So I don't think it's going to happen.
Perfect description......... You got yourself a bargain there my friend and for my "money" it's ok if other drummers don't know it. I played a DW black ice kit 4 days before I bought my Blk Widow kit and I giggle every time I play it. Difference in price afforded me the luxury of buying a set of new HHX's to go with it. That said I understand the reticence of people regarding Mapex's silly name and sophomoric marketing. Alot of it is fanboy stuff too. Me? I'm a fan of quality and value. The beautiful thing is there ALOT of nice drums out there and competition is strong. that's ALWAYS a good thing for us. Try something you haven't played before......you might like it!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:33 PM

I think at one time Mapex didnt get the respect they deserved, but thats changing these days. They're a pretty well known brand in Canada and i see alot of guys playing them at gigs. I've been very happy with my Saturn IIIs that i've had for 12 or 13 years now and before that i had a pretty decent 6pc Mars Pro kit that i played for a long time. I think their hardware is top notch and works great. Of all the pedals i've owned or played my Falcon is still the best feeling pedal i've come across.

I'll add that as happy as i've been with my Saturn kit it doesnt sound as good as my old Pearl BLX kit that i gig with. Those things sounds fantastic.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's the first thing I think of when I hear the Mapex name. There was a funny story in another thread about someone who had messaged Mapex and mentioned Stix. They replied with something to the effect of "we are aware of him."

I think they're great sounding, just far too modern for my old man sensibilities.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Fun fact: "Buffoonery" is in the Chrome spellcheck dictionary!
Best thing I've read in a while.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 PM

I'm a Saturn V owner and I chose that set after about 2 years of research and waiting for the right time financially. I have absolutely NO intention of selling it as it sounds great and it's quality is up there with any other pro grade set.

The only set I would ever consider trading this in for is my dream set which is a Pearl Reference Pure, but that's it.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
That's the first thing I think of when I hear the Mapex name. There was a funny story in another thread about someone who had messaged Mapex and mentioned Stix. They replied with something to the effect of "we are aware of him."

I think they're great sounding, just far too modern for my old man sensibilities.
Of course they are aware of him! I'm sure he was on a first name basis with lots of the guys working there since he spent so much of his wife's money on custom mapex stuff, and publicly complained endlessly when he couldn't get exactly what he wanted.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Of course they are aware of him! I'm sure he was on a first name basis with lots of the guys working there since he spent so much of his wife's money on custom mapex stuff, and publicly complained endlessly when he couldn't get exactly what he wanted.
That's for sure. OCD, a narcissistic personality and an inferiority complex, that's a bad combo. He definitely didn't help the brand !! hehe
Old 04-19-2017, 11:40 PM

I would like to get in on the inside joke but came up empty after some searching around the forums. What has this guy done (sticks4drums) with Mapex?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I would like to get in on the inside joke but came up empty after some searching around the forums. What has this guy done (sticks4drums) with Mapex?
Very argumentative with anybody that doesn't agree with him. Wants others to respect him but shows no respect for anyone else. Whines about EVERYTHING and the whole know-it-all thing is taken to an absurd level. Possibly overcompensating, with humongous drum sets, for other things in his life that may be small.

Why couldn't he have been a Yamaha fan? hehe
Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here's a primer...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...t=sticks4drums
Old 04-20-2017, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I own 2 Mapex kits so I'll chime in. They offer a great product for a great price and their sound is really awesome and modern. Their hardware is innovative and they are consistently trying to improve.

While I think their beginner, intermediate and semi pro lines rival any other brand out there, I think one of their missteps was discontinuing the Orion Series. That was a top of the like custom kit that could rival what other brands were doing at the pro level. As good as the Saturn Series is, it just doesn't seem to be on par with other "flagship lines" from other companies. Maybe it is the price point, maybe it is the lack of custom options, but a DW Collectors, a Gretsch USA Custom or a Ludwig Classic Maple ect just seem more appealing to me if I were a pro drummer going with a flagship kit.
I think their misstep was to market the Orion, which was nothing but a "me too" thin shell maple kit, above the Saturn which has the alluring walnut inner plies... Ask any furniture salesman which wood is more saleable, maple or walnut..? I think the Orion series served no purpose and were rightfully discontinued. With the Saturns, Mapex finally created an identity for themselves.

And I think your "desirability" comparison with the classic high-end drum lines is probably a little off. Tama Starclassics or Pearl Masters would be a better match for the Mapex Saturn. I suspect KHS realizes that Mapex simply doesn't have the emotional brand value to compete in the upper tier, where history and tradition (and country of origin) rules supreme, no matter what customizations they could offer. Hence this thread...

I play a Saturn III kit which I love (Ocean Blue Sparkle laquer, most beautiful finish ever I must say). Don't care for the newer series with their photo finish plies, "angry" lugs and aggressive, though admittedly smaller, badge.

Last edited by VitalTransformation; 04-20-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Rashidi View Post
OCD, a narcissistic personality and an inferiority complex, that's a bad combo.
Dude, the forum rules clearly state to leave politics out of the conversation. :)
Old 04-20-2017, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sticks is still around on other forums. He just posted this on DF.org:

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/...-arctic-white/
Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post

Ha ha - I missed that one.
It was right around the time I joined this forum. There must be more to the story.
I guess things settled down because I posted back and forth a few times with him without incident.
It's probably just my charming personality though.

I'm sure most people here have seen the latest, but for anyone who misses the guy, you can catch up here:
http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/...-arctic-white/

Oh - about Mapex drums. I've had a few, but they're not among my favorites.
There's several other brands I'd go for before them, but I certainly wouldn't refuse them
if they were what was available.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

But they invented the SONICLEAR™ bearing edge!

Yeah, pretty much just trying to bait Andy with that remark. ;-)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Lol.. I was going to say that "Mapex" sounds like a brand of sanitary pads for Vermont'ers.
Quote:
Agreed on the name lol
Durex is a worldwide brand, isn't it? ;)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

I've never bought anything by Mapex.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:11 PM

Love my Saturn's. Maple and Walnut ftw!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalTransformation View Post
Durex is a worldwide brand, isn't it? ;)
Either Mapex or Durex will help you to stop having kids. I'm going with Mapex...