Remo coated vs Remo Smooth

jimtyler

Can anyone tell me the sound characteristic differences between a regular Remo Ambassador coated and a Remo Ambassador smooth white drum head? They are both described the same way on the remo site. I'm most curious as to which would have the most sustain, as well as which one is brighter/darker etc. Thanks in advance..Jim

Can anyone tell me the sound characteristic differences between a regular Remo Ambassador coated and a Remo Ambassador smooth white drum head? They are both described the same way on the remo site. I'm most curious as to which would have the most sustain, as well as which one is brighter/darker etc. Thanks in advance..Jim

I'd have to say the smooth one would be brighter and may sustain a little more just for the simple reason that they are not coated. The coating warms the sound up and takes a little of the brightness away. I think the difference may only be "slight" I haven't used smooth whites but have used coated so I am guessing that the smooth whites are closer to sounding similar to clears than they are to coated.

I was thinking the same thing, yet that is not how Remo described the sound. If it is smooth white I assume it is "coated" in some fashion anyway. Would a smooth white be warmer than a clear but still retain the same resonance? I have also read that a coated head, having less brightness, also can still have more resonance, and in my experimenting, sometimes that is the case. I am very confused.

The smooth white is going to same just about the same as a clear head. It is not coated. The plastic film is white. That's all.

Back