DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #3881  
Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 PM
huXler huXler is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Oops, you're right. Found it! Thanks! :D
Reply With Quote
  #3882  
Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 PM
joepeng joepeng is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi gavin,itīs me again.
if you have the time would you comment my 2 videos that i uploaded on youtube for a contest in germany.
Oneīs a playalong ,the other one a solo.I know itīs a little "egging" around.
:)
What do you say?Here are the links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpzCPWSO00 playalong,Iīm looking a bit concentrated there,chewing my lips.:)
http://www.youtube.com/user/bighelp0.../0/yEHe6KACU0c solo

Thanks for your drumming,and sharing your thoughts at drummerworld.


greetings
joe
Reply With Quote
  #3883  
Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Phil Brodermann's Avatar
Phil Brodermann Phil Brodermann is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: High Wycombe, South East England
Posts: 61
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin, can you tell us the details of your designer kit; shells, sizes etc.? Sounded very nice at drummer live.

Also, when using 14" and 16" floor toms, which depths do you prefer and why? 14"x12"/14"x14" and 16"x14"/16"x16"

Thanks a lot :)
Reply With Quote
  #3884  
Old 12-10-2009, 02:26 AM
K.Howden's Avatar
K.Howden K.Howden is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lincoln - Lincolnshire; United Kingdom
Posts: 472
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Not sure if it's been posted here before but I've found an interview with Gavin, pretty recently this year in Italy (I think): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkIhlaiZb3w

Enjoy!

Kev
__________________
<a href=http://www.youtube.com/user/FallingLightsBand target=_blank>http://www.youtube.com/user/FallingLightsBand</a>
Reply With Quote
  #3885  
Old 12-10-2009, 02:33 AM
MaidenFanSte MaidenFanSte is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 21
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Howden View Post
Not sure if it's been posted here before but I've found an interview with Gavin, pretty recently this year in Italy (I think): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkIhlaiZb3w

Enjoy!

Kev
Not seen that, cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #3886  
Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Joethebeat

are you planning to come to Frankfurt music fair again sometime like you did in 2007?

No plans for that this year.

Hi huXler

And the fill in Slippin' Away at about 2:15, or that you are doing live sometimes.
Am I right, that it consists of a kind of flam on a tom with the right hand, one stroke on the snare with the left, and then RRLL ghost notes?


I think it's a double on the bass drum followed by a flam (on the tom and snare) and then RRL on the snare.

Hi joepeng

if you have the time would you comment my 2 videos that i uploaded on youtube for a contest in germany.

I'm sorry but I don't comment on video/audio performances.

Hi Phil Brodermann

Hi Gavin, can you tell us the details of your designer kit; shells, sizes etc.? Sounded very nice at drummer live.

That kit is 8x8 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 22x16 all 6ply maple shell no internal wood rings.

Also, when using 14" and 16" floor toms, which depths do you prefer and why? 14"x12"/14"x14" and 16"x14"/16"x16"

Actually I really like to use 15x13 and 16x14 - that's what I'm using now on my SQ2 with Porcupine Tree. There's something about a 15" floor tom that I really like.

cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison
Reply With Quote
  #3887  
Old 12-11-2009, 11:03 PM
MaidenFanSte MaidenFanSte is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 21
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Hi huXler

And the fill in Slippin' Away at about 2:15, or that you are doing live sometimes.
Am I right, that it consists of a kind of flam on a tom with the right hand, one stroke on the snare with the left, and then RRLL ghost notes?


I think it's a double on the bass drum followed by a flam (on the tom and snare) and then RRL on the snare.
Just had a listen and it's exactly that.
Double on the bass followed by a Blushda.....love it!
Reply With Quote
  #3888  
Old 12-12-2009, 05:43 PM
David Floegel David Floegel is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 815
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin,

why don't you comment videos/mp3's?

Do you think your words would hurt people to much?

(Maybe People will get inspired and motivated through your words)

Thanks
David
__________________
www.davidfloegel.com
Reply With Quote
  #3889  
Old 12-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

I'd rather say that would end up in an endless series of countless videos for Gavin to comment on. I think I wouldn't start it either if I were him ;).
Reply With Quote
  #3890  
Old 12-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Bernhard's Avatar
Bernhard Bernhard is offline
Founder Drummerworld
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riehen - Basel - Switzerland
Posts: 2,227
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Hey Gavin,

why don't you comment videos/mp3's?

Do you think your words would hurt people to much?

(Maybe People will get inspired and motivated through your words)

Thanks
David

Gavin is the absolute top worldclass drummer - we all are so happy and proud to have him on board - always ready to give advise and good tips and giving away his secrets for free.

For sure he has no time and doesn't want to open such a can of worms.

Bernhard
Reply With Quote
  #3891  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Fox622003's Avatar
Fox622003 Fox622003 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,066
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
For sure he has no time and doesn't want to open such a can of worms.
Yeah. Just think about it, Kalma, he does get tons of requests to check out performances, and even if he did check them out, his opinion would spawn another couple of questions from that person. Also, I have no doubt Gavin would know what most of us could work on if he saw a video of us playing, but it takes quite some time to actually sit down and write personalized tips and suggestions like a teacher would for every person out there that shows him a vid. It's already great that he is here answering questions almost daily, and they are quite personalized even. That's my take on it.


Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #3892  
Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 PM
MaidenFanSte MaidenFanSte is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 21
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Yeah. Just think about it, Kalma, he does get tons of requests to check out performances, and even if he did check them out, his opinion would spawn another couple of questions from that person. Also, I have no doubt Gavin would know what most of us could work on if he saw a video of us playing, but it takes quite some time to actually sit down and write personalized tips and suggestions like a teacher would for every person out there that shows him a vid. It's already great that he is here answering questions almost daily, and they are quite personalized even. That's my take on it.


Fox.
Exactly!
That's the kind of time and effort you pay a drum teacher for.
We're seriously lucky to get the advice we do from Gavin.

It's much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #3893  
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Guys,
I do get a lot of requests via private messages and MySpace from people asking me to listen to their tracks and then give them my opinion. I don't really have the time or energy to do that - plus I really don't want to be put in that position where I'm going to have to criticize/comment on someone's performance and potentially upset them in the process.

I have done it in the past - and it's usually bitten me in the arse.

cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison
Reply With Quote
  #3894  
Old 12-15-2009, 11:46 AM
MaidenFanSte MaidenFanSte is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 21
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Guys,
I do get a lot of requests via private messages and MySpace from people asking me to listen to their tracks and then give them my opinion. I don't really have the time or energy to do that - plus I really don't want to be put in that position where I'm going to have to criticize/comment on someone's performance and potentially upset them in the process.

I have done it in the past - and it's usually bitten me in the arse.

cheers
Gavin
Don't blame you for not commenting.
Reply With Quote
  #3895  
Old 12-15-2009, 07:06 PM
joepeng joepeng is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Guys,
I do get a lot of requests via private messages and MySpace from people asking me to listen to their tracks and then give them my opinion. I don't really have the time or energy to do that - plus I really don't want to be put in that position where I'm going to have to criticize/comment on someone's performance and potentially upset them in the process.

I have done it in the past - and it's usually bitten me in the arse.

cheers
Gavin
Thats really no problem,i fully understand that.People get upset easily i think.If you said something negative about their performance.
Plus i guess you have a ot of other things to do ,than watching us play.


Itīs awesome to talk to someone who is able to make a living out of drumming.


greets Joe
Reply With Quote
  #3896  
Old 12-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin - concerning developing a good sense of time and tightness:

You already described your recommended method of recording oneself and listening back maybe even slowed down.

I have a question: Since playing to a recording or a click, or all by oneself for that matter, and playing with a band (or even with just one more musician) are two totally different pair of shoes - do you have any thoughts on that? Would you say the recording efforts in the practice room do sharpen one's ears sufficiently so when playing together with other people timing nuances will be heard much more easily?

There are situations the whole band makes some short slight change in tempo (not on purpose), and the only way (I can think of) to realize that while playing would be to hear my own playing so accurately I can hear MY speeding up. Is that right?

Hope I make sense. Maybe you can share some of your experience on that.
Reply With Quote
  #3897  
Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 AM
DTrocks's Avatar
DTrocks DTrocks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 56
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Any news regarding the new PT-dvd?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #3898  
Old 12-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Progdrummer160 Progdrummer160 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Netherlands, De Kwakel (YES, that is near Amsterdam :P)
Posts: 10
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey mr. Harrison,

How long does it take bevore you change your heads, especially for your snare drum?

Thanks,

Frank
Reply With Quote
  #3899  
Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 PM
TKIE TKIE is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi!
I'm big fan of everything what you do and I'm glad that I found a way, how to ask you for something:
I want to ask you about time and groove (I think they're one of most important "abilities", which must good drummer have). I've solve these "problems" a long time ago and I have a lot of questions since now and I read somewhere that you're working on them still now (so I will be excited, if you share your way to develop them). There are some questions:
Do you practise with and without metronome and counting throught it? If yes, do you do a similar work as do (among other) Benny Greb - like counting eight notes off beats, the second and fourth sixteenths etc. (or click on off beats), or do you count shortest / longest (quarter notes or even longer) subdivisions and practise to the lowest tempos? There are opinions to have time "in voice" - by counting (or if you like - singing) or using movements as a tool to have better sense of time (tapping with feet - mechanics which Billy Ward do a lot). And when you record yourself, are you slowing down your playing to lever out nuances - and then to work on weaks to be "absolutely perfect"?
Also I have question about groove? What's your aproach to playing in the pocket? And how you playing in front of/on/behind beat if you do it (If you do that, are you trying to laid back or play in front only with one instrument - for instance HiHat and Bass drum on and Snare Drum played before/after or whole groove? Last question is about breathing :-) - I heard somewhere that breathing (one bar/2 beats/etc. aspirate, second/... one expirate) can really help with playing nice, deep groove, are you sharing same opinion? If you wrote answers and maybe give us some more yours opinions, exercises,... then you'll give us a great present for a Christmas. - Hope you enjoyed them, and we're waiting for your Rhythmic Designs, which will be very great I think.

All the best!
TKIE
Reply With Quote
  #3900  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Swiss Matthias

concerning developing a good sense of time and tightness:
I have a question: Since playing to a recording or a click, or all by oneself for that matter, and playing with a band (or even with just one more musician) are two totally different pair of shoes - do you have any thoughts on that? Would you say the recording efforts in the practice room do sharpen one's ears sufficiently so when playing together with other people timing nuances will be heard much more easily?


Sharpening your ears is something that happens the more you focus on timing issues and spend more time practising timing things. You can get to a point where almost everything sounds 'out' of time to you...and can really annoy you. But the better your ears are at hearing timing issues - the better your chances are of correcting them.

The first thing to except is that nobody has perfect time. We're all 'out' of time to certain degrees. It just depends how wide your 'window of acceptability' (WOA) is. Some musicians I've played with feel like their timing is fine - when to my ears it's sounded out. Maybe I have a smaller WOA than them. Making a nice feeling with your time is a listening matter. If it sounds good/steady/grooving to your ears then that's all you can hope to achieve. You might listen back to something a few years later (when your ears are better) and then decide that it wasn't feeling that good after all.
Yes playing to a click is different to playing without one...and playing with other musicians is an organic thing that can be good or bad - and never quite the same every time you play.
I try to really relax and listen. I know what it's meant to sound and feel like when it's grooving and everyone's smiling.

Hi DTrocks

Any news regarding the new PT-dvd?


we're working on it right now.

HI Progdrummer160

How long does it take before you change your heads, especially for your snare drum?


It depends. When I'm on tour with Porcupine Tree I change the top snare head every two shows. It's pretty much destroyed after two shows - and when I take it off it has a huge crater in the middle of it. It's a Remo C.S. When I'm at home playing in my studio it really depends how long and how hard I play on it for me to feel like it's time to change it.

Hi TKIE

Do you practise with and without metronome and counting throught it?

No I never count. I do sometimes practise with the click playing in offbeat positions...and polyrhythmic positions.

There are opinions to have time "in voice" - by counting (or if you like - singing) or using movements as a tool to have better sense of time (tapping with feet - mechanics which Billy Ward do a lot). And when you record yourself, are you slowing down your playing to lever out nuances - and then to work on weaks to be "absolutely perfect"?


I'm aware of Billy's methods and I've been grunting and ticking my teeth in certain subdivisions for many years. Tapping my feet (especially my left heal I find helpful). Slowing down the recordings just shows you the errors like an audio microscope.

Also I have question about groove? What's your aproach to playing in the pocket? And how you playing in front of/on/behind beat if you do it (If you do that, are you trying to laid back or play in front only with one instrument - for instance HiHat and Bass drum on and Snare Drum played before/after or whole groove?

I tried for many years to play 'laid back' - it was a sound that I'd heard Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro do on many records and I wanted that 'sound to my timing'. Now I do it all the time - and it's quite hard for me to not do it and play in a different position. I don't delay one element - it's everything together (even though I'm more aware of the snare drum placement overall). It's a very personal kind of DNA thing (that why I never ended up sounding like Gadd or Porcaro). No two musicians play their time in exactly the same way. The way that you play your time becomes part of your sound and recognisable to the listener (if they are familiar with your playing). I can hear Steve or Jeff by the way they play their time. It's very obvious in swing time too.

Last question is about breathing :-) - I heard somewhere that breathing (one bar/2 beats/etc. aspirate, second/... one expirate) can really help with playing nice, deep groove, are you sharing same opinion?


I don't think I've ever tried to breathe in this way - what would you do at different tempos?

cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison
Reply With Quote
  #3901  
Old 12-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Fox622003's Avatar
Fox622003 Fox622003 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,066
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin, I wanted to ask about the live middle fill for Lazarus (the one after the drums stop and start again, from the Arriving Somewhere DVD) it's similar to the studio one, but not the same. It goes like this, right?


(and those first notes are ghost notes, and the doubles, sort of multiple-bouncy-grace-notes, but it's hard to get that down with Guitar Pro)

And I know those 32nd notes are supposed to be started with your left foot, but since there's no bass drum after the three notes, and because I find it more comfortable to start them with my right foot, is there any disadvantage to that? How do you start them?

Alright, thanks Gavin, your answers are great!


Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #3902  
Old 12-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Random Name 123
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin,

- Can I become a great drummer within a week?

- What shoes are best for walking onstage up to the drum kit?

- Should I use deodorant on my head to stop it sweating?

- Will my breakfast affect my playing?

- Will your breakfast affect my playing?

Thanks.

--

Now I know there are a lot of yanks here who won't sense the tongue in my cheek, so I'd better let you know I'm just messing about.
Reply With Quote
  #3903  
Old 12-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Swiss Matthias

concerning developing a good sense of time and tightness:
I have a question: Since playing to a recording or a click, or all by oneself for that matter, and playing with a band (or even with just one more musician) are two totally different pair of shoes - do you have any thoughts on that? Would you say the recording efforts in the practice room do sharpen one's ears sufficiently so when playing together with other people timing nuances will be heard much more easily?


Sharpening your ears is something that happens the more you focus on timing issues and spend more time practising timing things. You can get to a point where almost everything sounds 'out' of time to you...and can really annoy you. But the better your ears are at hearing timing issues - the better your chances are of correcting them.

The first thing to except is that nobody has perfect time. We're all 'out' of time to certain degrees. It just depends how wide your 'window of acceptability' (WOA) is. Some musicians I've played with feel like their timing is fine - when to my ears it's sounded out. Maybe I have a smaller WOA than them. Making a nice feeling with your time is a listening matter. If it sounds good/steady/grooving to your ears then that's all you can hope to achieve. You might listen back to something a few years later (when your ears are better) and then decide that it wasn't feeling that good after all.
Yes playing to a click is different to playing without one...and playing with other musicians is an organic thing that can be good or bad - and never quite the same every time you play.
I try to really relax and listen. I know what it's meant to sound and feel like when it's grooving and everyone's smiling.
Thank you Gavin for taking your time and giving me/us some great insight on that and sharing your honest thoughts.
I've actually been to the point were virtually everything sounds 'out of time'.
And the organic experience of playing with other musicians is the greatest challenge, the hardest thing and sometimes the easiest. And as you say, rarely the same every time I play. I'm always on my way I feel though, and I'll always be, as we all do probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Some musicians I've played with feel like their timing is fine - when to my ears it's sounded out. Maybe I have a smaller WOA than them.
Either that, or different musicians perceive groove and time differently, and their bodies and ears respond to and like different kinds of feels?

Last edited by Swiss Matthias; 12-19-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3904  
Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 PM
nolonx's Avatar
nolonx nolonx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 65
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
HI Progdrummer160

How long does it take before you change your heads, especially for your snare drum?


It depends. When I'm on tour with Porcupine Tree I change the top snare head every two shows. It's pretty much destroyed after two shows - and when I take it off it has a huge crater in the middle of it. It's a Remo C.S.
This is how it looks like :)

__________________
And silence is another way
Of saying what I wanna say
Reply With Quote
  #3905  
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Progdrummer160 Progdrummer160 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Netherlands, De Kwakel (YES, that is near Amsterdam :P)
Posts: 10
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

That's a nice drumhead, it was from Gavin, right?.

Though I am surprised to see some dents in it? :O
Reply With Quote
  #3906  
Old 12-20-2009, 03:55 PM
nolonx's Avatar
nolonx nolonx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 65
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Yep, I bought it at a gig. It's signed by all PT members (the signature you see should be Gavin's one. Correct me if I'm wrong Gavin).

I thought it would be nice to show the "huge crater" Gavin was talking about :)
__________________
And silence is another way
Of saying what I wanna say
Reply With Quote
  #3907  
Old 12-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Fox622003

I wanted to ask about the live middle fill for Lazarus (the one after the drums stop and start again, from the Arriving Somewhere DVD) it's similar to the studio one, but not the same. It goes like this, right?

I don't know as I don't have the disc with me. But I'm sure in this bar that there's only two beats on the bass drum - the third beat is always a floor tom.

And I know those 32nd notes are supposed to be started with your left foot, but since there's no bass drum after the three notes, and because I find it more comfortable to start them with my right foot, is there any disadvantage to that? How do you start them?

I always start with the right foot.

Hi nolonx

It's signed by all PT members (the signature you see should be Gavin's one. Correct me if I'm wrong Gavin).

Yes that's right...and that's what the head looks like after two PT shows.

cheers
Gavin (in India)
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 12-20-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3908  
Old 12-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Phil Brodermann's Avatar
Phil Brodermann Phil Brodermann is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: High Wycombe, South East England
Posts: 61
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin, how is India? I have a question about 'un-necessary' movements. You said that you find tapping your left heel helps with your time. I also used to do this, but I had a lesson a few weeks ago, and my teacher told me to stop any 'un-necessary' movements, including my left foot tapping, what's your opinion on this?

At times, you feel a lot more balanced, relaxed and controlled, at other times your focus is on stopping the movement, not on your playing.

Thanks a lot for your time, Phil
Reply With Quote
  #3909  
Old 12-21-2009, 12:34 AM
joepeng joepeng is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

how are things going?
I got a question concerning "Start of Something Beautiful" on the Arriving Somewhere Dvd.
On youtube its 4:36 to 4:40.This fill is roaming around in my head all the time.But i donīt exactly know how its played.Are those Six Stroke Rolls that youre playing? Starting on your second tom?And are there any bassdrums in between?

Thanks for your answer,you would help me get to sleep again.lol


greets joe
Reply With Quote
  #3910  
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Fox622003's Avatar
Fox622003 Fox622003 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,066
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brodermann View Post
Hi Gavin, how is India? I have a question about 'un-necessary' movements. You said that you find tapping your left heel helps with your time. I also used to do this, but I had a lesson a few weeks ago, and my teacher told me to stop any 'un-necessary' movements, including my left foot tapping, what's your opinion on this?

At times, you feel a lot more balanced, relaxed and controlled, at other times your focus is on stopping the movement, not on your playing.

Thanks a lot for your time, Phil

As I say everytime I try to answer to someone on this thread: I know you want Gavin's opinion, but I'll tell you what I realised after my last question.
I told Gavin "Hey, it's way easier, feels more comfortable, and sounds better if I start this with my right foot, but technically, I'd have to start it with my left foot." He just told me he always started with his right foot, and it's obvious why. It's better, period. I think the same for this tapping thing, some teachers are obsessed with perfect posture and the such, but in my opinion, as long as you're not injuring yourself, your sound's good (and you aren't making any extra noises with your tapping either) and it helps you to execute a passage better, there shouldn't even be a debate about it. There are some things that just don't look nice, like Multiple Bounce Rolls with the fingers you're not using spread off your hands, or other similar stuff, but that's also in your taste, even though there's a way of doing it that's usually more accepted. But again, on this tapping thing, it should be all about what let's you play something better.


Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #3911  
Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Phil Brodermann

I have a question about 'un-necessary' movements. You said that you find tapping your left heel helps with your time. I also used to do this, but I had a lesson a few weeks ago, and my teacher told me to stop any 'un-necessary' movements, including my left foot tapping, what's your opinion on this?


I'm not sure why your teacher has told you this. There maybe a reason - I don't know because I haven't seen you play. Personally I like to do it because I feel it can help me keep in time a little easier. It's true that on some stages it can make an un-necessary banging sound.

Hi joepeng

I got a question concerning "Start of Something Beautiful" on the Arriving Somewhere Dvd.
On youtube its 4:36 to 4:40.This fill is roaming around in my head all the time.But i donīt exactly know how its played.Are those Six Stroke Rolls that youre playing? Starting on your second tom?And are there any bassdrums in between?


It's triplets grouped into fives (or at least the beginning of it is) with this sticking RLRRL and there's no bass drum notes in there.

cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison
Reply With Quote
  #3912  
Old 12-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Gus's Avatar
Gus Gus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sevilla, Spain
Posts: 97
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

Now that youīre in India (have a good time...;-) ), may i ask you about your view on Indian drummers/percussionists?.

I always found them exciting musicians. Mostly i know those who worked with John McLaughlin: The mighty Zakir Hussain, Trilok Gurtu, or Ranjit Barot who plays on JML last cd 'Floating Point'... Also you worked in Dizrhythmia with Pandit Dinesh...

Thanks in advance

Gustavo
Reply With Quote
  #3913  
Old 12-22-2009, 11:45 AM
marin's Avatar
marin marin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: croatia
Posts: 15
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

hello gavin, hope you're enjoying in india

i have a question, tough.
do you play live performances with metronome due to samples and electronic stuff in porcupine tree's music? in your opinion, is it required for a drummer to play with metronome in that kind of situations?

again, if my english stinks or if this question was already asked, i apologize.

happy holidays & greetings from croatia. i hope to see you guys here soon
__________________
croatian indie pop/indie rock;
http://www.facebook.com/londinerband
Reply With Quote
  #3914  
Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Sol Good Sol Good is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 35
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Phil Brodermann

I have a question about 'un-necessary' movements. You said that you find tapping your left heel helps with your time. I also used to do this, but I had a lesson a few weeks ago, and my teacher told me to stop any 'un-necessary' movements, including my left foot tapping, what's your opinion on this?


I'm not sure why your teacher has told you this. There maybe a reason - I don't know because I haven't seen you play. Personally I like to do it because I feel it can help me keep in time a little easier. It's true that on some stages it can make an un-necessary banging sound.

cheers
Gavin
Brings up an interesting point that Jonathan Mover made in a recent interview (with Jeff Sipe) in his magazine. He talked about not wanting one limb (ie. left foot) to 'anchor' his time, and that he wanted his time to be completely internal, if that makes sense. I am way too dependent on my left foot to anchor the time at certain tempos - trying to get to the point where left-foot tapping is not a habit but a deliberate choice to affect the sound. Phil - perhaps that's what your teacher meant by 'unnecessary movement'.
Reply With Quote
  #3915  
Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 PM
ahector's Avatar
ahector ahector is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 239
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Good View Post
Brings up an interesting point that Jonathan Mover made in a recent interview (with Jeff Sipe) in his magazine. He talked about not wanting one limb (ie. left foot) to 'anchor' his time, and that he wanted his time to be completely internal, if that makes sense. I am way too dependent on my left foot to anchor the time at certain tempos - trying to get to the point where left-foot tapping is not a habit but a deliberate choice to affect the sound. Phil - perhaps that's what your teacher meant by 'unnecessary movement'.
Yes, I think this is a great point. I just started working with a teacher, and he has been encouraging me to stop all 'unnecessary movement' as well. I have a habit of subdividing 16ths with my left leg (I kind of shake it all over the place, it's weird), moving my head and all of that.

He wants me to try to play without relying on that stuff. Most great drummers make all sorts of weird movements with their bodies, so I think eventually it's fine to just let loose and let your body do what it does. But right now for me, I'm trying to develop good internal time without having to rely on my left foot or other motions.

Ask your teacher to clarify what he is trying to accomplish by asking you to stop those movements.
Reply With Quote
  #3916  
Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Progdrummer160 Progdrummer160 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Netherlands, De Kwakel (YES, that is near Amsterdam :P)
Posts: 10
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin View Post
again, if my english stinks or if this question was already asked, i apologize.
Check http://www.askgavinharrison.com/ to see if a question is asked already. :D
Reply With Quote
  #3917  
Old 12-22-2009, 11:06 PM
KirkDS KirkDS is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin - Just wanted to check in (I last posted here a couple of years ago) and say that I continue to love your playing with PT and Blackfield. Still need to get the 05Ric CDs. Your playing is quite inspirational in ways that are different from most other great drummers....can't put my finger on it, but your style resonates with me.

Big fan, hope to see you in Minneapolis, MN!

Kirk
Reply With Quote
  #3918  
Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 AM
jado jado is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Dear all,

Perhaps you may help me: I've noticed that Gavin uses some device positioned to the left of hi hi-hat that closes very tightly the cymbals, do you know what piece of equipment is this? Who manufactures it?

All help is welcomed!

All the best from Caracas, Venezuela! Happy holidays!
Reply With Quote
  #3919  
Old 12-23-2009, 02:01 AM
jado jado is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Cobra Clucth! Just found it!
Reply With Quote
  #3920  
Old 12-23-2009, 03:35 AM
jez- jez- is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 22
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin!

I looked through the list of your album appearances on your homepage, and I found this:

Eros Ramazzotti 1995 "Pių bella cosa" Live

Which CD or album is this exactly? Could you point me in the right direction?

All I could find is this:

http://www.discogs.com/Eros-Ramazzot...a/master/88657
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com