DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

hi gavin i was intrigued reading about the cymbal washers you mentioned earlier in the thread and i wondered what they were like. e.g. felt rubber, and will there possibly be a commercial release of them. also to everyone. has anyone actually tryed casting gavins chimes like melting the tin and copper down. and making them that way. if so how did it go?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi SantiBanks,

Do you guys rehearse a lot with metronome for the other songs that are not synced up to sequences, video etc.? And does everyone on stage hear the click in their monitor?

I might use the metronome just to help get the tempo before counting in. When there is a click - everyone has it in their 'in ear' monitors only in the parts when I'm not playing the drums.

Hi Merting

-What is your Porcupine Tree track to play live?

I don't really have a 'favourite' song - it varies from tour to tour - and even from night to night. We play them all so many times - the challenge for me is to try to stay fresh with them.

-Is PT planning to visit any countries they haven't visited before? I have lots of friends impatient to see you guys live in here, Turkey!

We'd love to come to Turkey - but I don't think it's part of the plans at the moment. The decision is usually left up to our agent and manager.

-And do you have any suggestions for a young drummer?

Keep practising and always work on your timing!!!!!

Hi Hurlza

hi gavin i was intrigued reading about the cymbal washers you mentioned earlier in the thread and i wondered what they were like. e.g. felt rubber, and will there possibly be a commercial release of them.

They are made of a very special rubber material combined with felt. Once I'm done testing them I would hope to make them commercially available.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-30-2009, 12:17 AM

Hey thanks for the advice you gave ages ago on making your chimes, i have finally gotten around to trying it and i must say they sound very nice, it beats paying for a brand new chime from zildjian and sounds just as nice. For anyone else attempting to make them, cutting them with the tin snips is harder than you might initially imagine! It takes a good half an hour to make one chime, and furthermore anything above six inches doesn't sound too pleasing in my opinion. Anyway, thanks for the help Gavin.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:12 PM

Hi Gavin,

Great to see Porcupine Tree will be playing in Newcastle, UK, in December.

As well as being a drummer, I'm a journalist on the city's big evening newspaper and I'll be reviewing the gig.

Clearly it's months off, but how would you be fixed later in the year for a telephone interview to promote the show, the new album, the band and even talk about drums?

If you'd be agreeable, let me know what would be the best way to approach.

I'm concious you mightn't want to go into detail on here, but maybe you could let me know your management company's contact details, or maybe send me a private message.

Cheers.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin,
What do you think of Sonor Force 3007 kits? because they are very tempting for the price, nice finishes, 9 plies of maple, decent sound for what I've heard. It's just that the difference with higher end kits is too much and I'd prefer to get better cymbals, hardware and equipment in general for it. With decent Mic'ing, would they do for live and studio situations? (I'm not expecting to get the sound you get out of your SQ2s, but at least something decent) or would you still go for a higher end kit?

Thanks, Fox.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:14 AM

Hi Gavin!
I know it is a stupid question, but: There is a little cat in The Incident video, what is her/his name? (maybe Bonnie? :P)
Old 07-02-2009, 02:13 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi supermac

Clearly it's months off, but how would you be fixed later in the year for a telephone interview to promote the show, the new album, the band and even talk about drums?

It's possible. I've sent you a private message with the record company's 'press person' email address.

Hi Fox622003

What do you think of Sonor Force 3007 kits?

I haven't played them but I've seen a few up close at the Frankfurt Music show and I was very impressed by their build and quality. I'm sure you can make a good sound on them.

Hi Renard

I know it is a stupid question, but: There is a little cat in The Incident video, what is her/his name? (maybe Bonnie? :P)

That is in fact the studio cat...and you guessed right - her name is Bonnie.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Hi Gavin,

I just want to know how many ply has your sq2 (thin vintage shells). I just want to know how many ply has your toms. your floor toms and the bass drum.

I think the toms are 4 ply... but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2009, 11:11 PM

Hey Gavin! Thanks for the reply! In relation to having Jeff Porcaro as an influence, I think you would be a perfect fit for Toto (nothing against Simon of course).

I just noticed you played on Sam Brown's stop! album. Great stuff! The title track is a fantastic tune.....

I am almost certain I will be catching Porcupine Tree's show in Montreal in the fall. It will be great to see you perform live!

Kevin
Old 07-03-2009, 08:14 PM

Hi Gavin! I'm Alonso and i'm from Mexico

You are an incredible drummer. I love PT, you guys are my favorite band. I saw you guys on the Mexico City show. Great performance!

By the way congratulations for being in King Crimson, great band! I once met Tony Levin when he came to Mexico.

Cheers from México!

Alonso

Last edited by AlonsoLópezMatus; 07-03-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 07-04-2009, 01:47 PM

G'day gavin. i was just wondering from your dvd Visions. were your floor toms hanging? If so what sizes. and what kind of ride were you using? it had a lovely sound and i wouldnt mind tracking it down. itd make a great replacment for my planet Z model.

Also is australia penciled in to your tour plans yet? I know a fair few people itching for you to come to melbourne.

Cheers Hurlza.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurlza View Post
G'day gavin. i was just wondering from your dvd Visions. were your floor toms hanging? If so what sizes. and what kind of ride were you using? it had a lovely sound and i wouldnt mind tracking it down. itd make a great replacment for my planet Z model.

Also is australia penciled in to your tour plans yet? I know a fair few people itching for you to come to melbourne.

Cheers Hurlza.
if i try to remember well, Gavin in that dvd play a Zildjian costantinople ride 20" or 22"...seems bigger than the actual and usual 20"K ride...i don't remember if He use his vintage Zildjian 20" ride in that dvd.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 AM

Gavin let me start with this...

I love your work and your a huge influence on my playing... Its good to see that your down to earth enough to come on here and mingle with all of us. Thank You.

Second I so love your work with PT but the idea of you in King Crimson with two drummers blew my mind. Any chance you will continue to work with Fripp and the boys?

Take care,

Jeramie
Old 07-06-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Cheers
Gavin
Gavin,

I thought you used 13" K hats? and do you use 3 A custom's for crashs live or do you use any of the K's?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drum-R

I just want to know how many ply has your sq2 (thin vintage shells). I just want to know how many ply has your toms. your floor toms and the bass drum.

The SQ2 set that I have in America has the vintage shells. All the drums are 4 ply (with support rings inside).

Hi Hurlza

i was just wondering from your dvd Visions. were your floor toms hanging? If so what sizes. and what kind of ride were you using? it had a lovely sound and i wouldnt mind tracking it down. itd make a great replacment for my planet Z model.

Yes they were hanging floor toms and I believe there were 14x12 and 16x14. That ride cymbal was a 20" Constantinople.

Also is australia penciled in to your tour plans yet?

Not yet - but we hope to back over there next year.

Hi the whale

Second I so love your work with PT but the idea of you in King Crimson with two drummers blew my mind. Any chance you will continue to work with Fripp and the boys?

I hope so. There's nothing planned right now - but hopefully something will emerge over the next year.

I thought you used 13" K hats? and do you use 3 A custom's for crashs live or do you use any of the K's?

Yes I do normally use 13" K Hi Hats - looks like my 12" Remix Hi Hats in that photo. My crashes vary from year to year - I do sometimes use the A Customs.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 AM

The first thing i want to write on this post is that you are an amazing guy! i mean...you sit in front of your laptop and answer to every question we make! You sent me the break in the Break song (thanks a lot!!!)! I don't think that anyone would do it...it's an amazing thing and thank you very much!!!

Now i was trying to find the album with the song Slippin' Away and of course i couldn't...can you help me with it?

And another thing...these bells you've got on the left can i buy them? Are they available or just for you? if they are available how can i find them!!! They're a huge love of mine!!!

Last edited by shortsman; 07-07-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:04 AM

Hey Gavin!

Quick question...do you ever get cramps in your thighs from sitting so low? We're the same height (6'2) and I also sit fairly low, but I seem to cramp up sometimes. When I sit higher, it just doesn't feel right, and I can't get the same bass drum technique. Anything you can think of that I may be doing wrong or not doing at all that could help? THANKS SO MUCH!

Oh, btw...I sent a drummer friend of mine the youtube video of your performance of Slippin' Away from PASIC and he was blown away. I've been telling him to check you out for awhile, but he just never got around to it. When he finally saw this video, he send me a text message, saying how mesmerized he was by your playing. Just figured I'd let you know. I can't wait to see you with PT in September in Philly!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Hi Gavin!

I wanted to ask your opinion on Thomas Pridgen's performance at the Modern Drummer Festival '08.
I just saw it, and it was really impressing, but for me, it was a little over the top. I find, that sometimes it was really too much.

Cheers

Last edited by huXler; 07-07-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 PM

Hi Gavin!!

Could you explain to me a bit your decision to change to Longboards?? People tell me you trie them and don´t come back!! is it the comfort or agility?? You might have been playing them for ages but well, in Spain news comes late...

Cheers
Danny Penalver
Old 07-08-2009, 11:57 AM

hello gavin
i was just wondering if you had any tips in regards to licking a finger and sliding it across a tom? i've tried to do it recently and i can't seem to replicate how you do it on your dvd's, arriving somewhere etc.
any help is appreciated
thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 04:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi shortsman

Now i was trying to find the album with the song Slippin' Away and of course i couldn't...can you help me with it?

there is a version of it on my DVD Rhythmic Horizons but I haven't recorded it on any album. The original version (I believe) is on a James Newton Howard album (with Jeff Porcaro on drums). I heard it first on a plastic flexi disc that came free with Modern Drummer in about 1983 featuring Jeff promoting Paiste cymbals.

And another thing...these bells you've got on the left can i buy them? Are they available or just for you?

No they are not commercially available. If you're interested in more info about them - do a search on this thread.

Hi XboxIsAGodToMe

Quick question...do you ever get cramps in your thighs from sitting so low?

Can't say I have.

Hi huXler

I wanted to ask your opinion on Thomas Pridgen's performance at the Modern Drummer Festival '08.

Yes Thomas played great. I was watching it from backstage. A lot of energy going on.

Hi dannypenalver

Could you explain to me a bit your decision to change to Longboards?? People tell me you trie them and don´t come back!! is it the comfort or agility?

Really it's the power you can get from them. I found could play articulate stuff on them - but at louder volumes. Sitting at home playing double pedal is one thing - but when you get in a band situation - everything becomes MUCH louder and I was struggling to get the volume I wanted from my previous pedals. I think it's the long board that makes a big difference - if you play heel up - and halfway down the board - you've got a lot of leverage = power = volume.

Hi massive prog fan

i was just wondering if you had any tips in regards to licking a finger and sliding it across a tom?

really it's a conga player's trick. First the drum can't be too small - I get the best results from my 12" tom with the head not very tensioned. Secondly it really needs to be a coated head. Thirdly you need to wet your (middle) finger a bit to get the right amount of surface friction going - and you need to hit the drum first with your other hand to get the skin in motion before you lightly rub your middle finger over it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 PM

Hey Gavin!

Are the samples from the new album coming up online soon? I want to hear more from the incident. Really exited for this one! Which one of your kits are you using on the new record? The one you used for the modern drummer festival?

Cheers!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:00 AM

Gavin -

I was wondering if you could clarify the snare roll that you do at 0:37 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e9cPH6q0Rs

Are you playing singles or doubles? I am having trouble hearing the exact sticking for some reason.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:13 PM

hi gavin,

first of all - since this is my first posting - thanks a lot for answering all those questions. i've learned so much just from reading your answers, thank you so much ! needless to say, that i love your drumming....

so here is my question: songtempos - what is your method of memorizing them ? do you use a metronome for your count-in ? being a professional drummer for quite some years, i still find it hard to get the tempo right everytime - and so do most of my colleagues.

thanks a lot,
and greetings from austria
daniel
Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Cheers for the info !! makes a lot of sense!!

Danny..
Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 PM

As i wrote some posts ago...you are my favorite drummer and i mean it! So i uploaded a video on youtube yesterday and i would like to know your opinion, if you have time to see the video of course! It's one-take of some patterns i've been working on lately

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUpA1ztKxhY
Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 PM

Hi Gavin

Just a simple thing that i´m not sure to have understood correctly... You said you put your mics, into a digital converter and then through your Mac. Even when you´re playing on stage, are you sending this way your signal to the main desk??.

Thanks for your time here and for so much inspiration!

Gustavo
Old 07-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin

I know I somewhat got bashed from another member or two, but I'd still be interested in your opinion about Virgil Donati's playing. I'm quite a fan of his, and since he's very much interested in bending, manipulating and pushing grooves and rhythm in general, I'm wondering if you like his playing too. My favourite record with him on drums would be Serious Young Insects by On The Virg, that one never stops amazing me. I'd very much recommend to check it out :) !!
Old 07-11-2009, 05:16 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi DTrocks

Are the samples from the new album coming up online soon? I want to hear more from the incident. Really exited for this one! Which one of your kits are you using on the new record? The one you used for the modern drummer festival?

There probably will be some samples coming soon. Check the PT MySpace site - we'd put them there if anywhere. I used my Tribal finish UK kit on the record - not the Golden Madrone kit (that is in the USA) I used on the MD Fest.

Hi NeuroAxis

I was wondering if you could clarify the snare roll that you do at 0:37 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e9cPH6q0Rs Are you playing singles or doubles?

I'm playing doubles.

Hi D-a-n-i-e-l

so here is my question: songtempos - what is your method of memorizing them ? do you use a metronome for your count-in ?

Yes I use a metronome. The days of me counting in from memory are long gone. Folks are much more anal about tempos being exact these days.

Hi shortsman

So i uploaded a video on youtube yesterday and i would like to know your opinion, if you have time to see the video of course!

I'm sorry but I'm trying not to make comments on peoples video/audio samples. I get asked the same thing about 20 times a day on MySpace.

Hi Gus

Just a simple thing that i´m not sure to have understood correctly... You said you put your mics, into a digital converter and then through your Mac. Even when you´re playing on stage, are you sending this way your signal to the main desk??.

No that's only for recording. In a live situation the drums are sent to the front of house - and the monitor desk simultaneously. I don't have my converters or my Mac with me on stage.

Hi Swiss Matthias

I know I somewhat got bashed from another member or two, but I'd still be interested in your opinion about Virgil Donati's playing.

Yes he's a great drummer - I met him a couple of years ago in LA. Very nice guy too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Hi shortsman

I'm sorry but I'm trying not to make comments on peoples video/audio samples. I get asked the same thing about 20 times a day on MySpace.

cheers
Gavin
I thought so...you're right about that...all right now a thing i was wondering about and i think is one of the biggest ''advantages'' of your style is the table of time in your playing! I mean you are able to play any note in the table of time and various groupings of these not just 16th notes or 8th note triplets etc. How did you improve this ability? Any exercise?

Last edited by shortsman; 07-11-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:25 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi shortsman,
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "table of time" ?

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-12-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Hi shortsman,
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "table of time" ?

cheers
Gavin
I mean the rhythmic values of notes for example 16th notes, 16th triplets,8th notes etc. You play countless groupings of these values! How did you achieve that level in doing this? (Sorry my English are not that good :()
Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Gary Chaffee, "Rhythm & Meter Patterns" ! :)
Old 07-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin,
There's a heavy double bass section in Anesthetize which I can't quite figure out, the one you play here from about 5:12 to 5:30. I think there are triplet notes going on on the the bass drum, but I'm not sure, and I don't think the time signature is 4/4 either. The slightest enlightment on that section will help figuring it out!

Thanks a lot, Fox.

UPDATE: Ok, I think I figured some of it out, the music is in 4/4, and your playing in groupings of three, switching between ride and crash each eighth note, (is this correct?) Now, the question remains, what the heck's going on in the double pedal there, man :P?

Last edited by Fox622003; 07-13-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:57 AM

Hey Gavin,

First off your a huge inspiration for me as a drummer, so thanks XD!

Second, I was curious what your favorite PT song is.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsman View Post
The first thing i want to write on this post is that you are an amazing guy! i mean...you sit in front of your laptop and answer to every question we make! You sent me the break in the Break song (thanks a lot!!!)! I don't think that anyone would do it...it's an amazing thing and thank you very much!!!

And another thing...these bells you've got on the left can i buy them? Are they available or just for you? if they are available how can i find them!!! They're a huge love of mine!!!
I am saying cheers to that post. Tonnes of great drummers, but great drummers who are great guys as well is rare!
I think Gavin's bells are now available from Zildjian.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:24 PM

Hi Gavin,

There are a lot of different ways to achieve a good recorded tom sound. Of course well tuned drums, the drummer, and the way the drums are hit are key. But getting into the technical side of micing and recording: some like to have 80% of the toms come from the overheads and use the close mics on the toms for attack (compression/gating etc). Some use overheads for cymbals only and use the close mics to pick up 100% percent of the toms. I was curious as to what percentage between overheads and close tom mics do you use...if any? You also have another 2-4 extra ambient mics setup at times, correct? Does this make it that much harder to mix your sound?

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 07-13-2009, 07:58 PM

hi gavin, is everything ok?
i have a question for you, or, i can say, i need an advice.
Actually i'm using an Tama starclassic Maple snare drum.Nothing out of standards...4plies of maple with reinforcement rings, equipped with a pinstripe coated and a puresound snare wire.
It is a versatile snare, and i'm happy about his sound.
2 days ago i found a private customer from Milan that sell a vintage yamaha recording custom snare drum.it's a 14x6 birch snare, i'll link the photo to you, so you can told me if this snare is similar to your.
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1856/yamahasd096.jpg
my question is: may this snare be more versatile than mine?And overall, what do you think about its size.May be a 14x6 with an high tuning on batter head similar to a 14x5\14x5.5?
i gotta say that i don't need this snare a lot, i'm good equipped.But i understand that we are talkin' about a snare out of stock from years, and probably very hard to find.So this may be an "extra" snare...what do you think?
thanks a lot master.
Have a nice week!
Cheers from Italy
Riccardo
Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 PM

The Incident preview... damn! Very dynamic stuff (loved the heavy parts) & impeccable drumming and drum sound. Can't wait the actual release + I'm dying to see & hear live performance (finally you're visiting Slovenia in November)... :))
Old 07-15-2009, 12:49 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi shortsman,

I mean the rhythmic values of notes for example 16th notes, 16th triplets,8th notes etc. You play countless groupings of these values! How did you achieve that level in doing this?

Ah ok you mean subdivisions. To switch from one to another you need to be able to do it accurately - so practise them slowly with a metronome until you can make the transition from one to another smoothly. It's a hard thing to do.

Hi Fox622003

There's a heavy double bass section in Anesthetize which I can't quite figure out, the one you play here from about 5:12 to 5:30. I think there are triplet notes going on on the the bass drum, but I'm not sure, and I don't think the time signature is 4/4 either. The slightest enlightment on that section will help figuring it out!

This was discussed a couple of years ago and I transcribed a couple of things from there. Be sure to check the "search this thread" function at the top of the page when you're logged in ;-)

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=1407

Hi indiadrummer

Second, I was curious what your favorite PT song is.

I don't really have one - it changes from week to week whilst we're touring.

Hi JeffV71

I was curious as to what percentage between overheads and close tom mics do you use...if any? You also have another 2-4 extra ambient mics setup at times, correct? Does this make it that much harder to mix your sound?

The mix of those mics depends on the song and the kind of sound I'm trying to get. If the song doesn't call for very big ambient tom sounds then I just don't use those mics in the mix. The ambient mics can sound great - but you lose clarity in the mix - so I use some digital reverbs too on the close mics.

Hi ItalianRicky

my question is: may this snare be more versatile than mine?And overall, what do you think about its size.May be a 14x6 with an high tuning on batter head similar to a 14x5\14x5.5?

I've no idea how versatile your other snare drum is. Personally I find it hard to get my sound on deeper snare drums. I'm sure it will be a quality drum - how old is it? If you get the serial number I can tell which month/year it is.

Hi Alex P.

I continue to post the « Deadwing » transcriptions. I didn’t have the time to do it sooner. So, now, I proceed the work…
Here is the “Open Car” live version, from the DVD.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8523/opencar1.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7103/opencar2.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6742/opencar3.jpg

great work - thanks for posting!!!

cheers
Gavin