DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-23-2009, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,
First of all I must say you are one of my favourite drummers, and someone who continues to inspire me musically. I have been playing drums for 7 years and can't get enough of you playing!!
I’m writing to ask you a question about your books / dvd's. After confirming with my local drum store in Australia that I am able to order in your books and DVD's, I wondered which product of yours I should get. Originally, I was going to get your book 'Rhythmic Illusions', but once I realised that your DVD 'Rhythmic Visions' was pretty much the same thing except in video, I didn’t know what to get. Would you recommend getting the book, DVD or both? I should mention that this will be my first real study into rhythmic 'illusions'
I have a TV and DVD player in my drum room if that changes anything? haha
Thanks very much Gavin!
Andrew
Old 05-23-2009, 09:23 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi AronMapex

I wanted to know what you think of these drums = http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...ght=arcs+drums
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMQ5f16sd2M

they look very well made and sound good too!! Best of luck with them.

Hi Fox622003

would you recommend getting a really good sound card (one with 8+ inputs) and connecting the mics directly to the inputs? or getting a say, decent sound card and a good mixer, regulate from there, and have all the mics in just one track in the PC?

Personally I'd go with a mixer - but there's no need to have all the mics go down to one track in the computer. Of course it depends on the mixer and the card too. If you can find a mixer that has multiple outputs (some of the small Mackie's have 8) you can record on 8 discreet channels onto your computer and give yourself a lot more flexibility in mixing the drums inside the computer.

Hi tommykry

1. My whole band and I ( sound tech, and stage people also ) Purchased tickets to see your show at The Moore Theatre, Tuesday September 15, 2009 in Seattle Wa, Why are you guys playing the Moore and not The Paramount? i think last time you were here it was the Paramount? And will you guys be supporting a new studio CD for this tour?

We're not always in charge of exactly where we play. We have an agent for that. Sometimes it's down to the availability of certain venues on certain nights. I seem to remember playing at the Moore last time we were in Seattle. We will be supporting a new CD for this coming tour.

2. If you know or remember, On the Arriving somewhere live DVD recoding in Chicago, Were you using only one mic on the kick drum (sm91?) or 2 mics, i read your Faq and i think it says you use 2 in the studio but only one live, the kick sound on the live DVD is a perfect kick sound to me. And do you still only use one mic in the kick for live today or 2 mics?

I had one SM91 in the bass drum for that DVD recording. On the last tour I used an Audix D6 as well.

3. If you know or rememer What kind of vocal mics are Steven and John using on the Arriving somewhere live DVD?

I think they were Neumann KMS 105.

Hi ageis1

I’m writing to ask you a question about your books / dvd's. After confirming with my local drum store in Australia that I am able to order in your books and DVD's, I wondered which product of yours I should get. Originally, I was going to get your book 'Rhythmic Illusions', but once I realised that your DVD 'Rhythmic Visions' was pretty much the same thing except in video, I didn’t know what to get. Would you recommend getting the book, DVD or both? I should mention that this will be my first real study into rhythmic 'illusions'

I think a good place to start is with the first book "Rhythmic Illusions" and the DVD "Rhythmic Visions" and see how you get on with those. The book and the DVD are connected and explain my fundamental theories and concepts about creating 'illusions' in rhythm.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-24-2009, 04:52 AM

Perfect! Thank you my friend.

Tommy
Old 05-25-2009, 12:16 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've (and so has my drum teacher) been trying to work out two drum fills in the song "Fear of a blank planet", The one at 4:30 and the one at 5:01. Could you you possibly explain them, maybe with drum notation?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, I've just noticed there's a windows error sound on the studio recording of "The Sound of Muzak" (at about 2:05) you guys are probably aware of it, but if not, a funny one to tell Steven about :P.
Oh and by the way, you mentioned checking out some of the small Mackie's, I searched on Amazon and thought this one was pretty cool for recording and maybe small to medium venues, even for all the instruments. What do you think?
Thanks a lot for your answers, they've been really helpful.

All the best, Fox.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Hi Fox622003

would you recommend getting a really good sound card (one with 8+ inputs) and connecting the mics directly to the inputs? or getting a say, decent sound card and a good mixer, regulate from there, and have all the mics in just one track in the PC?

Personally I'd go with a mixer - but there's no need to have all the mics go down to one track in the computer. Of course it depends on the mixer and the card too. If you can find a mixer that has multiple outputs (some of the small Mackie's have 8) you can record on 8 discreet channels onto your computer and give yourself a lot more flexibility in mixing the drums inside the computer.
To jump in on it a bit more; as Gavin says, its what you want to accomplish. You could make a mix of the drums on a mixer and record the stereo feed. You could also get a soundcard with mic inputs (I can recommend mackie and presonus. They both sound very nice with a not so high pricetag. Im not sure how focusrite sounds) which gives the advantage of having every piece on a separated track. You could do that with a mixer too (if it has direct outs or enough busses to suite your needs) but then you need two pieces of equipment.

The last option is using one of the newer generation mixers with a computer option (usually a firewire/usb expansion board fitted inside the mixer). If you want a full digital desk (which means that you can save presets, have flying faders) then the Tascam DM24 is a good choice aswel as Yamaha (they have more models but they cost more).
Soundwise (and a bit cheaper but not fully digital) the Mackie Onyx series is very good. You can have a 12 or 16 channel mixer with firewire option. That gives you a normal analog desk with everything on it (including very good preamps! the Onyx preamps really sound sweeeeet) but every channel can be recorded over firewire.

Allen & Heath has also a new range of mixers which do the same as the Mackie. They cost a bit more and I haven't heard them yet so I cannot comment on the quality of the pre's.

To be honest, a mackie desk with firewire option gives the best of both worlds and makes it a flexible setup (because mixers are always handy to have and if you can record them easy with no extra soundcard, then that seems a good feature to me).
Soundquality and buildquality are good (preamps are top!), I think their drivers are very reliable now they are out for a few years and the prices are not a lot if you concider the other options and functionality.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
To jump in on it a bit more; as Gavin says, its what you want to accomplish. You could make a mix of the drums on a mixer and record the stereo feed. You could also get a soundcard with mic inputs (I can recommend mackie and presonus. They both sound very nice with a not so high pricetag. Im not sure how focusrite sounds) which gives the advantage of having every piece on a separated track. You could do that with a mixer too (if it has direct outs or enough busses to suite your needs) but then you need two pieces of equipment.

The last option is using one of the newer generation mixers with a computer option (usually a firewire/usb expansion board fitted inside the mixer). If you want a full digital desk (which means that you can save presets, have flying faders) then the Tascam DM24 is a good choice aswel as Yamaha (they have more models but they cost more).
Soundwise (and a bit cheaper but not fully digital) the Mackie Onyx series is very good. You can have a 12 or 16 channel mixer with firewire option. That gives you a normal analog desk with everything on it (including very good preamps! the Onyx preamps really sound sweeeeet) but every channel can be recorded over firewire.

Allen & Heath has also a new range of mixers which do the same as the Mackie. They cost a bit more and I haven't heard them yet so I cannot comment on the quality of the pre's.

To be honest, a mackie desk with firewire option gives the best of both worlds and makes it a flexible setup (because mixers are always handy to have and if you can record them easy with no extra soundcard, then that seems a good feature to me).
Soundquality and buildquality are good (preamps are top!), I think their drivers are very reliable now they are out for a few years and the prices are not a lot if you concider the other options and functionality.
Thanks a lot, that was very useful. Did you happen to check the one I am thinking of buying after Gavin mentioned Mackie? Here.
It seems like a decent option, it allows for USB recording, and also for just outputs through a sound card (AND it seems nice for up to medium live situations), although I'm not sure if you've had any experience with it, I still think you'll probably be able to tell me if it's a good idea to get it or not by the specifications. I need to get a decent soundcard anyway, since I invested some in a good PC, but left the onboard soundcard to expand it later.

Fox.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
Hi Gavin,

I've (and so has my drum teacher) been trying to work out two drum fills in the song "Fear of a blank planet", The one at 4:30 and the one at 5:01. Could you you possibly explain them, maybe with drum notation?

Thanks
Hey Fragile,

I transcribed one of the fills you're asking about. Here's a link for you:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Drumclin...risonfear.html

Here is some more stuff to check out as well:

http://www.askgavinharrison.com/transcriptions

Hope it helps!

Terry
Old 05-27-2009, 12:00 AM

Hey Gavin,
I looked through askgavinharrison.com to no avail, so hopefully you haven't answered this already. I absolutely love the sound of your snare drum throughout In Absensia, in particular Gravity Eyelids. What snare are you using during that track? Thanks again!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 PM

Hi Gavin,

Im mad about the groove of 'crisis'. I enjoy very much the way the notes are settled on the bar ... Im feeling with this pattern the same excitation that i felt with 'muzak' time ago.
To me there are more hard things to play in 'circles', for instance 'scar', but 'crisis' is simply perfect: highly musical and elegant. Great 'fusion' groove.

See you in Madrid in november!

Best regards from Spain.
Gustavo

Last edited by Gus; 05-27-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Thanks a lot, that was very useful. Did you happen to check the one I am thinking of buying after Gavin mentioned Mackie? Here.
It seems like a decent option, it allows for USB recording, and also for just outputs through a sound card (AND it seems nice for up to medium live situations), although I'm not sure if you've had any experience with it, I still think you'll probably be able to tell me if it's a good idea to get it or not by the specifications. I need to get a decent soundcard anyway, since I invested some in a good PC, but left the onboard soundcard to expand it later.

Fox.
I wasn't aware that mackie had these new USB mixers out so I haven't been able to check them out in the store. From what I see they look pretty decent built (like the onyx series) and well you have usb which is more common nowadays then firewire (though I prefer firewire for harddisks and audio/video interfaces. Their speed is more consistent which I think is important when dealing with huge amounts of data in realtime).

I don't know about the soundquality but I think this one will be a great addition (i'm not convinced that anyone can go wrong with mackie nowadays. Their soundquality has improved over all their productranges, with the onyx leading but the other series like the vlz being improved a lot too). I'd say that this is a good value.

However, be aware of the following:
This desk allows for stereo channel usb recording which means that the master bus will be recorded, not the individual channels (which is why mackie choose usb. Two track usb recording is not a problem at all)
This is not a problem if you record stuff one by one or don't mind having everything on just a stereo track (which means you have to mix in realtime at this desk). If you want more control over the mix (lets say a drumkit miked up with 6 mics) then this is not possible after recording with this mixer.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
This is not a problem if you record stuff one by one or don't mind having everything on just a stereo track (which means you have to mix in realtime at this desk). If you want more control over the mix (lets say a drumkit miked up with 6 mics) then this is not possible after recording with this mixer.
But aside from USB recording, doesn't each channel still have an output, which can be connected to a separate input on a soundcard? So, to record a miked a drumkit it would still allow for separate channels on the computer if not recorded via USB, right?

Fox.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:03 AM

Hey Gavin!

I know that Porcupine Tree (especially Steve) has a very strong connection with Opeth. Anyone who is a fan of both bands knows that there is a strong mutual respect between the two groups, but I'm wondering what you think about Opeth? Do you see the same beauty in Mikael Akerfeldt's writing that so many do? Any words on what you like/don't like?

Not really a pressing question, but it's something I've been wondering about for a while.

Thanks!

Alex
Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 AM

Hey Gavin,

Any idea when we will start seeing information about the new Porcupine Tree album? Regarding audio previews, promotional images, title, etc.

Thank you as usual!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have been asked to add drums to two pieces of music that lack any sort of percussion. The music styling is very new to me, I have never played to this kind of music before - to me it sounds like a mixture of Latin, Reggae, and Soul.

I already have an idea of what to play for one of the pieces; just a light groove to keep things flowing and give it a soulful atmosphere.

However, for the more upbeat and Reggae-feeling song, I don't know how to tackle it! It's written in 4/4, with the pulse on 1 & 3 and guitar chords on upbeats.
My question is: how would you go about writing a drum part for music that's new to you?

I'm very excited to record drums for this person, I have never been asked to do something like this before (I'm only 15, haven't gotten out of the drum room much!).
Old 05-29-2009, 09:59 AM

Hey Gavin,
I was wondering why you dont follow the guitar riff (with your bass drum) on Open Car with a 4/4 on top, missing the last note (skipping the snare on the 17th note). Was it feel based or a conscious effort to not follow the guitars ?

Also I'm still kinda confused about Irrational polyrhythms. Any info on those ?

(PS I was at the Opeth press conference in Chennai, India and someone asked Mikhail which band would he have liked to play in, other than Opeth and he promptly replied with "Porcupine Tree". I'm sure you already knew this :) )

Cheers,
Hamza.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
But aside from USB recording, doesn't each channel still have an output, which can be connected to a separate input on a soundcard? So, to record a miked a drumkit it would still allow for separate channels on the computer if not recorded via USB, right?

Fox.
These don't as they are not really made for multitrack recording. Mixers suitable for gooed multitrack recordings have generally one (or more) of the following options:
  • Multiple groups (4, 8, 12, 16)
  • Direct outputs per channel (or on a number of channel)
  • A lot of auxes

Because with this, the routing facilities inside the mixer (the way the audio signal flows over the circuitboard) will generate more options and circuits which means that the price goes up. Mixers with these kind of functionalities cost a lot more. Plus you will need a multitrack soundcard too.
Now you can do two things if you want multitrack:
  • Get a mixer suitable for multitracks and a multitrack soundcard
  • Just go for a multitrack soundcard with enough inputs and mic channels (presonus, focusrite, mackie, motu offer those for example) but this doesn't give you a mixer, only a way to record your audio.
  • Get a mixer which streams enough channels to a computer. Mackie onyx and the newer Allen & Heath Zed series spring to mind.

Or of course, record everything one by one :)
Old 05-30-2009, 02:48 PM

Hey Gavin,

do you play the Sonor SQ with a walnut roots finish and golden hardware at the modern drummer festival??
Which Remo- Heads are you playing?

thanks for answering!!

Cheers
Clemens from Germany
Old 05-30-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. - Drum View Post
Hey Gavin,

do you play the Sonor SQ with a walnut roots finish and golden hardware at the modern drummer festival??

thanks for answering!!

Cheers
Clemens from Germany
Hi C.L.-Drum
Check it out this: Golden Madrone!. This is the finish. Beautiful, isnt it?.
Regards.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gus; 05-30-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:29 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Leper

I absolutely love the sound of your snare drum throughout In Absensia, in particular Gravity Eyelids. What snare are you using during that track?

I think it's two different snares. In the early part it was an old Sonor 14x5 drum that I tuned pretty high. Later in the track I switch to my old Yamaha RC9000 drum which I used on the rest of the album.

Hi RollMyCoaster13

I'm wondering what you think about Opeth? Do you see the same beauty in Mikael Akerfeldt's writing that so many do? Any words on what you like/don't like?

I got to see a lot of Opeth when PT toured with them a few ago - and I was very impressed. Mikael is a great singer and guitarist - I really enjoyed listening to them.

Hi gibeachhead

Any idea when we will start seeing information about the new Porcupine Tree album? Regarding audio previews, promotional images, title, etc.

Watch porcupinetree.com for the first announcements - coming soon.

Hi colinjnk

However, for the more upbeat and Reggae-feeling song, I don't know how to tackle it! It's written in 4/4, with the pulse on 1 & 3 and guitar chords on upbeats. My question is: how would you go about writing a drum part for music that's new to you?

I have no idea without hearing it. I usually rely on gut instinct - and try to find a way that's not too obvious. Good luck.

Hi drumbumhamza

I was wondering why you dont follow the guitar riff (with your bass drum) on Open Car with a 4/4 on top, missing the last note (skipping the snare on the 17th note). Was it feel based or a conscious effort to not follow the guitars ?

It's quite simple - I didn't want to follow the guitar riff with my bass drum. I liked the way it turned out better.

It's not a term that I'm familiar with or use - but when I did a little search it seems some people think of them as quintuplets, septuplets etc.- in fact anything that is not 2 or 3 based - but I wouldn't call them polyrhythms - they're just (not commonly used) subdivisions.

Hi C.L. - Drum

Yes Gus is correct - Golden Madrone.

The tops of the toms have Remo Coated Emperors - and the bottoms have Clear Ambassadors. Bass drum batter side has a clear Powerstroke 3 and the snare drum has a coated CS head on it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-31-2009, 12:19 AM

Hi Gavin,

Good wish for your birthday (for the 28 may, i forgot..). I'm curious to know what crashes have you used in "Gravity eyelids". I like they sound, very colourful and particular. I think K Fast crashes (perhaps 15" and 18"), but i'm not sure..Thanks!

Last edited by daniele; 06-01-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:14 AM

Hi Gavin!

I love a lot your work with Porcupine Tree, is a very good job these records.

i have one question but isn't about drums... when we can have a porcupine tree south american tour? i know a LOT of people here in Chile waiting for the band visit...

well, that's all, thanks for everything.

PS: sorry for the bad inglish :)
Old 05-31-2009, 02:47 PM

Hi Gavin, what mic's you like to use when you are recording your snare drum?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Hey Gavin,

Congratulations on this thread first of all! 3000+ posts and who knows how many pages. Just a thousandth of this thread are my questions :P

So I was wondering, what was drumming with OSI like? Any new challenges? I heard what seems like a lot more of your custom chimes on some tracks. My favourite track is Be The Hero. Any memorable ones for you?

I do apologise if you've answered this kind of question before but theres just too many posts to trawl through :P

Thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbumhamza View Post
Hey Gavin,
Cheers,
Hamza.
I saw that Gavin had already addressed this; however, I thought this link (cut and pasted below) might be of interest regarding tuplets, so-called irrational rhythms, polyrhythms and the like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuplet

I've read this about four times and I think I get most of it. But I'm not sure what the 7:11 reference means? Anyhow, the link (above) is an easier format to read.

Tuplet
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In music a tuplet (or irrational rhythm or, rarely, contrametric rhythm) is any consecutive group of notes whose note-values involve a fraction (other than a multiple of a power of 2). This is indicated by a number (or sometimes two), indicating the fraction involved. The notes involved are also often grouped with a bracket or (in older notation) a slur.
Contents [hide]
1 Terminology
2 Explanation
3 Triplet notation
4 Usage and purpose
5 See also
[edit]Terminology

The modern term 'tuplet', predating but popularized by computer software, comes from the -tuplet suffix of names for individual tuplets: quintuplet, sextuplet, etc.[citation needed] Previously, there was no general term for these individual tuplets. The alternative modern term of 'irrational rhythm' is a misnomer as, in mathematical terminology, the note-values are rational (i.e. fractions), not irrational.
The term polyrhythm, sometimes incorrectly used to mean a tuplet, refers to the complex rhythm produced when non-tuplet rhythms are played against tuplets.
[edit]Explanation

The most common tuplet is the triplet (G. triole), shown at right.

Tuplet: a standard triplet; a triplet denoted without a bracket; a tuplet denoted as a ratio
Whereas normally two quarter notes are the same duration as a half note, three triplet quarter notes total that same duration, so the duration of a triplet quarter note is 2/3 the duration of a standard quarter note. Similarly, three triplet eighth notes are equal in duration to one quarter note. If several note values appear under the triplet bracket, they are all affected the same way, reduced to their original 2/3 duration.
[edit]Triplet notation

If the notes of the triplet are beamed together, the bracket (or slur) may be omitted and the number written next to the beam, as shown in the second illustration.
For other tuplets, the number indicates a ratio to the next lower power of two. So a quintuplet indicated with the numeral 5 means that five of the indicated note value total the duration normally occupied by four, equivalent to the second higher note value; for example, five quintuplet eighth notes total the same duration as a half note. Some numbers are used inconsistently: for example septuplets are sometimes used to mean 7 notes in the duration of 4, but other times to mean 7 notes in the duration of 8. To avoid ambiguity, composers sometimes write the ratio explicitly instead of just a single number, as shown in the third illustration; this is also done for more complex cases, e.g. 7:11.
In compound metre, even-numbered tuplets can indicate that a note value is changed in relation to the dotted version of the next higher note value. Thus, two duplet eighth notes (most often used in 6/8 meter) take the time normally totaled by three eighth notes, equal to a dotted quarter note. Four quadruplet eighth notes would also equal a dotted quarter note. The duplet eighth note is thus exactly the same duration as a dotted eighth note, but the duplet notation is more often used in compound meters.
[edit]Usage and purpose

Tuplets can produce rhythms such as the hemiola, or may be used as polyrhythms when played against the regular duration. They are extrametric rhythmic units.
[edit
Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 PM

Gavin,

are you using maple, medium shells??

Cheers
Clemens
Old 06-03-2009, 05:22 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi daniele

I'm curious to know what crashes have you used in "Gravity eyelids". I like they sound, very colourful and particular. I think K Fast crashes (perhaps 15" and 18"), but i'm not sure..Thanks!

It's such a long time ago - but I think it would have been 18" K Custom Dark Crash and a 15" K crash plus another 18" K or A crash.

Hi Berethor

i have one question but isn't about drums... when we can have a porcupine tree south american tour? i know a LOT of people here in Chile waiting for the band visit...

thanks - but I don't know. We have no plans to tour South America at the moment.

Hi Toza

what mic's you like to use when you are recording your snare drum?

An Audix i5 on the top of the snare and a Shure SM57 on the bottom.

Hi DT91

So I was wondering, what was drumming with OSI like? Any new challenges? I heard what seems like a lot more of your custom chimes on some tracks. My favourite track is Be The Hero. Any memorable ones for you?

It was all good fun to play - a bit heavier than I normally go with PT but I enjoyed it. Jim and Kevin were very nice to work with even if I've never actually met them in person. I like "Be The Hero" too.

Hi C.L. - Drum

are you using maple, medium shells??

On my European set the first three rack toms are thin shells - then the floor toms are medium shells and the bass drum is heavy shell. All maple.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-04-2009, 02:39 AM
michael drums

Well...

Gavin. It certainly is obvious that you've helped so many DW members which is a testament to you and your professionalism. Not only as a fabulous drummer but as a drumming partner who "gives back".

Thank You So Much for taking the time from your VERY busy schedule to answer so many questions from all of us here on DrummerWorld.

Your humility is unwavering.

Great thread, sir! ;-)

All The Best!

michael

Last edited by michael drums; 06-04-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:31 PM

Hi Gavin

First, congrats on the MD readers pole. In my opinion, totally well deserved ;-)
Your drumming on the last 2 Porcupine Tree outings are superb.

2nd, will you be doing any performances on the Drum Channel in the
near future?

All the best on the tour and I hope to see you for the show in Toronto Canada with my
other favourite band King's X. What a great double bill !!!!!

Glen Thomas
Old 06-04-2009, 05:45 PM

When I see you in NY on September 24th, I'm going to yell - Gavin Harrison Rules!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
When I see you in NY on September 24th, I'm going to yell - Gavin Harrison Rules!
Not an improviser are you? You'll ruin the surprise! Of course I'm only kidding. I wish I could be in NY to see 'em too.

Gavin,
Any word on when your new book will be available? Will it be through Hudson or another publisher?

Thanks so much,
Clint

Last edited by Clint Hopkins; 06-05-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:02 AM

Hi Gavin!!

I wanted to ask you of "Via" in "Acustico" album of Claudio Baglioni live.
The solo start with tom.. like a jungle, but evolves like in a fast funk pattern. (i think ^.^)

Wich kind of pattern you make with Elio?? As it plays??
(I refer to the piece with charleston, snare and bass. And various snare ghost notes)

I hope that i explained well :P
It's really corious this solo.. colorful and accurate to listen :)

Thanx to the availability :)
Nice weekend and good work Master!!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 PM

Hi Gavin,

If I recall correctly, you are using the M-audio FW410 in your livesetup right? What is your experience with using this interface in a live setting? I'm thinking of getting one as they are offered for cheap second hand. I don't want to use my presonus card for live (as its rack mounted and I need something more portable).

I did own the FW1814 for a time. Apart from the coloured sound, there where some issues with hotplugging the device (which could break the firewire connection on your mac) so I'm still hasitating.
Did you ever experienced any issues with the drivers, stability or other strange stuff for that matter?
Id like to use it for sending backingtracks to the FOH, delivering clicktracks to myself and the drummer and also for a softsynth I use.

Thanks,
Santi
Old 06-06-2009, 10:59 PM

Hi Gavin,

When you play a song in a recording situation, i think you write only the most important reference, like the fills or another. But i ask me: For example,in "Terminal",with OSI, you play with great interpretation followed the music and the singer voice for all the song (i hope you have understand me). From 03.45 to 04.25 you play a beautiful part. Is it improvised remember some things which you have think before and follow the music which you have in the headphone? Do you remember what parts have you write? I don't think you have write all the song.. Sorry the bad english,thanks!!!

Last edited by daniele; 06-07-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:22 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi glen thomas

First, congrats on the MD readers pole. In my opinion, totally well deserved ;-)
Your drumming on the last 2 Porcupine Tree outings are superb. 2nd, will you be doing any performances on the Drum Channel in the near future?

Thanks. They haven't asked me to - so I suppose I won't be.

Hi Clint Hopkins

Any word on when your new book will be available? Will it be through Hudson or another publisher?

I'm still working out the details - it'll be some time yet!!

Hi Fabio

I wanted to ask you of "Via" in "Acustico" album of Claudio Baglioni live.
The solo start with tom.. like a jungle, but evolves like in a fast funk pattern. (i think ^.^)
Wich kind of pattern you make with Elio?? As it plays??

It was so long ago that I can't really remember. We are both playing fast patterns with ghost notes and I can't figure it out. I think there was a DVD of that tour - maybe that would help you if you saw it?

Hi SantiBanks

If I recall correctly, you are using the M-audio FW410 in your livesetup right? What is your experience with using this interface in a live setting?

Very good - but the outputs are very low so you will need DI boxes for the channels that you'll be sending to the PA.

I did own the FW1814 for a time. Apart from the coloured sound, there where some issues with hotplugging the device (which could break the firewire connection on your mac) so I'm still hasitating.Did you ever experienced any issues with the drivers, stability or other strange stuff for that matter?

We have experienced problems - but never got to the bottom of what was causing them. 98% of the time it was perfect. One thing to bear in mind is that it can be powered via firewire or a separate power adapter. If you're doing it via firewire and the power on stage flickers for a second it won't upset the FW410 (assuming that's connected to a powerbook). If it's taking it's power externally and that happens - then the computer will lose site of it and will require a restart (which is not much fun in the middle of a performance).

Hi daniele

When you play a song in a recording situation, i think you write only the most important reference, like the fills or another. But i ask me: For example,in "Terminal",with OSI, you play with great interpretation followed the music and the singer voice for all the song (i hope you have understand me). From 03.45 to 04.25 you play a beautiful part. Is it improvised remember some things which you have think before and follow the music which you have in the headphone? Do you remember what parts have you write?

I wrote all the drums parts in that song. Yes 3:45 to 4:25 is a free improvisation. There's is a much longer version of that song on the bonus disc version of the album - and has a much longer 'improvisation' section towards the end of the song.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to let you all know to check out the latest issue of Drumhead magazine (the May/June issue with Gary Husband on the cover).

There is a cool track from GH/05Ric's album called "Source"on the accompanying CD, as well as some highlighted transcriptions inside the mag.

I'm very excited to see it as a preview for Gavin's upcoming book!!

Stay tuned!

Terry
Old 06-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B. View Post
Hey Fragile,

I transcribed one of the fills you're asking about. Here's a link for you:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Drumclin...risonfear.html

Here is some more stuff to check out as well:

http://www.askgavinharrison.com/transcriptions

Hope it helps!

Terry
Thank you very much, that was the trickier fill, but does anyone still not have any word on the other one?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:00 AM

Hi Gavin, im trying to do groups of 3 bass drums, like i've heard you do yourself. Are you doing RLR LRL?

cheers
Old 06-11-2009, 02:13 PM

hi gavin. id like to thank you for the impact you have had on my drumming over the years. its not your chops but the ideas you come up with are fantastic. at the moment im over playing a fair bit in trying to create magic like yours. how can i avoid this over playing and start sounding mature as a player?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Hi SantiBanks

If I recall correctly, you are using the M-audio FW410 in your livesetup right? What is your experience with using this interface in a live setting?

Very good - but the outputs are very low so you will need DI boxes for the channels that you'll be sending to the PA.

I did own the FW1814 for a time. Apart from the coloured sound, there where some issues with hotplugging the device (which could break the firewire connection on your mac) so I'm still hasitating.Did you ever experienced any issues with the drivers, stability or other strange stuff for that matter?

We have experienced problems - but never got to the bottom of what was causing them. 98% of the time it was perfect. One thing to bear in mind is that it can be powered via firewire or a separate power adapter. If you're doing it via firewire and the power on stage flickers for a second it won't upset the FW410 (assuming that's connected to a powerbook). If it's taking it's power externally and that happens - then the computer will lose site of it and will require a restart (which is not much fun in the middle of a performance).

cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin,

Thanks a lot for your very honest answer! I appreciate that a lot.
To be honest, I never thought of powerdips on stage so running the power from the macbook would be a much better option.

have you ever encountred a reboot during the middle of a performance (or at a gig in general)? Also, I noticed that Richard uses the Motu 828 MKII. Do you perhaps know if he ever had any trouble on stage? I'm very much concidering Motu as I think it's drivers should work better with mac.

Oh and here is a small story I'd like to share. I tried the new backingtrack system (macbook+presonus firestudio) on a gig and it worked very well. I followed your advice to give the FOH a stereo mixdown of everything and to use separate outputs for clicktracks which we take care of ourselves instead of the monitor engineer.
That worked well until "Mama" (we are a genesis tribute). The low drone came in and they blew one of the PA speakers. It seemed that the volume was set too loud on the mixingdesk and I think they didn't use limiters. It certainly was one of the most interesting basstones I ever heard and felt But still, the system works very good and in fact I was never so happy with having a click in my ears because I had no monitor feed.