DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Any USA shows this year? Hopefully in the New York area
Old 04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Toza,

how do you count 10, 11 and12?:)

10 I would count as two groups of five D t D t t D t D t t
11 would be D t D t D t D t D t t
12 could be three groups of four or two groups of six

Hi Alex P.

In "Glass Arm Shattering", how do you think of the tempo?
I mean, it's : 8th = 98 bpm or 8th = 49 bpm (approximately...) ?

8th = 98bpm

I finished the transcription of "The Start of Something Beautiful". Great Song !!
I'm not sure of the bars 20, 36, and 156. Can you confirm it's good... or not !

Thanks for th transcription - it looks great. I would say that in bars 20 and 36 there's not a double hit on the bass drum. The low volume one should not be there. The last four 16ths of bar 156 I would say is a flam on the tom then a bass drum, and then another tom flam and another bass drum.

Hi miha,

Here are my two samples (same recording). One from overhead and close mics (no EQ, no effects) and one from my camera mic. Camera mic is producing some interesting reverby snare sound. I have no idea how to acomplish that with my drum mics (without excessive use of effects). Any advise would be appreciated.

What you are hearing from the camera mic is a lot of compression. Some camera mics have "automatic record level" built in - and that means that it will record very quite things quite well - but when a loud thing appears (like a drumset) it will use a compressor to not distort the recording.

Hi Kongo

Any USA shows this year? Hopefully in the New York area

Yes there will be - but we don't announce them until they're confirmed.

cheers

Gavin
Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM

Hello!

I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but I thought I would post a video tribute to Gavin just to show how much of an influence he has been for me. Made this cover of Blackest eyes, because I love the drumming in it. I'm 18 and been drumming for 3 and a half years. Don't mind about the c-part (or whatever you call it) where I lose the count and mess up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlKuA9zDG4M

Pity youtube didn't provide me with the hq-option for this video.

Cheers,

Ilkka, Finland

Last edited by Sardaukar; 04-08-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Hi Sardaukar

Search for thread 2635

Regards.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronMapex View Post
That's really good, I looked over it and it looks great. What program do you use to make these transcripts? I'm really interested in making some.

And of course Gavin, you are the man :)
Thanks! I did it with "Finale" software.

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the correction!

Last edited by Alex P.; 04-09-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 PM

I'm hoping to get an audition with a prog rock band called Coralspin, obviuosly apart from learning the auditon pieces, is there any other research, listening you would suggest I do? I have a fair amount of prog stuff at home, mainly Genesis, Spocks Beard, Also Eden and Porcupine Tree (of course).

Thanks,

Kev Cook
Old 04-09-2009, 10:41 PM

Hey Gavin,

finally i got your DVD's really enjoying them! Great stuff!
also i'd like to ask what the snare on the AS DVD is ?

thanks for your time!
B.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:42 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin,
I was wondering, well, I'm 90% sure you *can* sing in tune since you're a very musical drummer. While I'm very technical, I never got past rhythm when it comes to music theory, and while I can notice when things aren't sounding well tune-wise, I can't sing in tune or identify musical notes at all. It has been suggested by some of my bandmates that it would be really helpful to develop that aspect of music (apparently not so necessary for drumming, but that's what I'm asking!) It would be great to hear your take on the matter!
Another thing, I've spotted you switching to traditional grip in different footage, but you only seem to do it for a few seconds, do you play traditional, or do you just switch some times to get certain sounds for a particular fill or part?

All the best, Fox.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:42 PM

Damn you Gavin Harrison why does everything you can touch have to be so inspiring...and out of reach for this mortal drummer! Thoroughly enjoying the awesome live PT Ilosaarirock show at moment although If I had to list every jaw dropping moment I'd be here for ever (the start of Halo for example), great sounding gig and typically great playing from you.
Having had the luxury of hearing some of your forthcoming material I'll have to wait for my physical copy to arrive before asking a question or two. Thank you for the continuing inspiration.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi hairydrummer

I'm hoping to get an audition with a prog rock band called Coralspin, obviuosly apart from learning the auditon pieces, is there any other research, listening you would suggest I do? I have a fair amount of prog stuff at home, mainly Genesis, Spocks Beard, Also Eden and Porcupine Tree (of course).

Just do the homework and be yourself.

Hi Trains'

finally i got your DVD's really enjoying them! Great stuff! also i'd like to ask what the snare on the AS DVD is ?

The snare drum on that DVD is a Sonor 14x5 Black Steel with an EmperorX on the top and 8 strands of Puresound snare wires on the bottom.

Hi Fox622003

I was wondering, well, I'm 90% sure you *can* sing in tune since you're a very musical drummer. While I'm very technical, I never got past rhythm when it comes to music theory, and while I can notice when things aren't sounding well tune-wise, I can't sing in tune or identify musical notes at all. It has been suggested by some of my bandmates that it would be really helpful to develop that aspect of music (apparently not so necessary for drumming, but that's what I'm asking!) It would be great to hear your take on the matter!

I've always had an ear for picking out notes - I can sing a melody close enough that I can go and find it on a guitar or piano - but I don't really know how good my tuning and intonation as a singer really is. About 20 years ago I bought the Relative Pitch and Perfect Pitch courses of David L Burge. Whilst I found the Perfect Pitch stuff interesting - I didn't find it that useful. The relative Pitch was really worth it and I only wish I have done it as a kid. It does open your ears and make you listen in a different way - does it help with drumming? Kind of - because it made me realise that I could focus my ears in ways I hadn't imagined before.

Another thing, I've spotted you switching to traditional grip in different footage, but you only seem to do it for a few seconds, do you play traditional, or do you just switch some times to get certain sounds for a particular fill or part?

Yes because there are certain touch/bounce subtleties that I can only really get from trad grip...but 98% of the time I play matched.
cheers
Gavin
Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 PM

Hi Mr. Harrison!

Hope you are well.

I was just wondering what double pedals you use?
My second hand iron cobras are in terrible shape and I'm fed up with having to manage with them falling apart during gigs.

Also, one of my bands is soon to start recording its debut album - www.myspace.com/hakenmusic
I love your sound and was wondering whether you record drums for people other than yourself?

Cheers,

Ray
Old 04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

Man, if a pair of Iron Cobras are falling apart you'll have some serious trouble finding a double bass pedal that can stand more punishment than those. Maybe they weren't in very good shape when you got them in the first place?

Fox.

Last edited by Fox622003; 04-12-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 AM

I second fox. There are few things in the world capable of sustaining more damage than an iron cobra. maybe military grade hummer....
Old 04-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have a few questions. Do you use Zildjian 20" K Ride cymbal when you
play "19 days" ? I thought that you use K Ride only at concerts. I am
just interested.
Do you ever use Constantinople cymbal, if so, what type is it? Would
you be so kind to write me what Ride cymbal do you actually use?
I would like to buy type Ride Zildjian as you have but not K Ride 20".
Thanks for your reply.

Cheers Matěj
Old 04-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Oh GAVIN!!! i was going to be able to see you in concert this september but i can't because ill have a band competition, oh woe is me.

but i really would like to see your drumming amazingness in person!

have a good day sir!
Old 04-12-2009, 05:02 PM

To ray

Gavin uses axis longboard pedals. I hope that helped

Cheers!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 PM

yeah you guys are probably right
I got 'em off a friend for 100 over two years ago now and the guy can't have treated them too well. I was happy with the bargain but they're really starting to frustrate me now. Example - One day (usually the day of a gig) the treads just come loose on the connecting bar, and then the next day they're fine!

oh really, axis pedals?
i tried to glimpse them on a couple of videos and the pedals themselves looked very axis-like but the beaters didn't
do you know whether thay're X or A pedals?
and am i right in thinking the A pedals are essentially a more powerful pedal?
thanks
Ray
HAKEN
www.myspace.com/hakenmusic

Last edited by Bernhard; 01-01-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ray - HAKEN

I was just wondering what double pedals you use?

Axis A Longboards

am i right in thinking the A pedals are essentially a more powerful pedal?

No I think they're just more adjustable.

I love your sound and was wondering whether you record drums for people other than yourself?

Thanks but no I don't.

Hi kotras

I have a few questions. Do you use Zildjian 20" K Ride cymbal when you
play "19 days" ? I thought that you use K Ride only at concerts. I am
just interested.

It depends which version of 19 Days you're referring to. On my DVD it's a 1980's K Canadian ride. On the Frankfurt version it's a 20" K Ride.

Do you ever use Constantinople cymbal, if so, what type is it? Would
you be so kind to write me what Ride cymbal do you actually use?
I would like to buy type Ride Zildjian as you have but not K Ride 20".

I have done in the past - but I don't have it any more. Sometimes I use a 1940's Avedis 20" ride.

Hi Alex P.

Here is the transcription of "Glass Arm Shattering". It's a very subtle part, very tasteful !
It's pretty hard to hear everything.

very nice work - everything looked good to me. Thanks for posting it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 PM

i hope for you an happy easter.
cheers from Italy.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 AM

I just bought tickets to the NY show in September, I really want to meet the band....how would I go about doing that? No joke master Gavin, I'd pay a lot of money of a picture with you and Steven Wilson. If it means sleeping on the smelly city streets of NY, I'm so doing it.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:13 PM

Hi Gavin,

sometimes when I am really feeling great at the set, I typically tend to overplay... thats at least what my band colleagues tell me. The number of fills and what type of fills I select often changes depending on my mood but especially when I am in a good mood, it seems that I am pushing the drums too much into the foreground. This is really frustrating and it sometimes brings me down to receive such feedback in a moment when I feel great.

Did you ever come across similar feedback? If so, what did you do? How to control the emotions and still live the moment and letting out new ideas?

By the way... when listening to PT's recent live record ("Ilosaarirock"), I noticed that you are using double bassdrum based fill patterns more often than for example on the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD. Is that something you have been focussing on or does this get in subconsciously?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Gavin, got the MD Fest 2008 DVD package - your performance is awesome, as always! Thanks for the stuff, great to hear you talk with Simon Phillips too!

What heads do you use? I can't read it:(! Are those Ambassadors? And do you use the same head type on the bassdrum as on the toms?

Thanks and greetings from Switzerland
Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Kongo

I just bought tickets to the NY show in September, I really want to meet the band....how would I go about doing that?

I don't really know. We certainly don't guarantee that we'll meet anyone after the show - but sometimes it happens on the way to the bus.

Hi ChrisGau

sometimes when I am really feeling great at the set, I typically tend to overplay... thats at least what my band colleagues tell me. The number of fills and what type of fills I select often changes depending on my mood but especially when I am in a good mood, it seems that I am pushing the drums too much into the foreground. This is really frustrating and it sometimes brings me down to receive such feedback in a moment when I feel great. Did you ever come across similar feedback? If so, what did you do? How to control the emotions and still live the moment and letting out new ideas?

Like you, my mood has a lot to do with my performance. I guess listening to a recording of the show is always a good way of judging how you really played.

By the way... when listening to PT's recent live record ("Ilosaarirock"), I noticed that you are using double bassdrum based fill patterns more often than for example on the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD. Is that something you have been focussing on or does this get in subconsciously?

I can't remember consciously trying to play more double pedal fills - again it might have been the mood I was in that night. The main problem we were having that night was that the audience were very excited and clapped along to everything - but they always got faster and faster - so you found yourself fighting them a lot.

Hi Swiss Matthias

Hey Gavin, got the MD Fest 2008 DVD package - your performance is awesome, as always! Thanks for the stuff, great to hear you talk with Simon Phillips too!

Yeah that was great fun - I could have gone on all night!!

What heads do you use? I can't read it:(! Are those Ambassadors? And do you use the same head type on the bassdrum as on the toms?

They are coated Emperors on the tops of the toms. The bass drum skin is a Powerstroke 3.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 AM

Hey Gavin!

As a drummer, I'm starting my eduaction at Berklee College of Music this fall, and I'm also seeing PT at the House of Blues on September 27, 2009. Do you think there's any possibility that you could do a clinic at Berklee earlier in the day? I've considered emailing them first, but thought that I would ask to see if you're even up for it. It would be amazing.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 04-16-2009, 02:56 PM

Hey Gavin, congrats on the 'Ilosaarirock' cd, the FOABP stuff sounds class! Just two quick questions for you; firstly is that your SQ2 kit we are hearing on Ilosaarirock? Secondly have you guys played 'What happens now?' live yet? It's probably my favourite track out of Nil Recurring and FOABP!

Thanks again!

Nige
Old 04-16-2009, 03:16 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi RollMyCoaster13

As a drummer, I'm starting my eduaction at Berklee College of Music this fall, and I'm also seeing PT at the House of Blues on September 27, 2009. Do you think there's any possibility that you could do a clinic at Berklee earlier in the day? I've considered emailing them first, but thought that I would ask to see if you're even up for it. It would be amazing.

I'd love to do a clinic at Berklee but I don't do those kind of things whilst I'm on tour with a band - it's too complicated from a timing/schedule point of view and an equipment nightmare. Thanks for the thought though.

Hi Nige86

Hey Gavin, congrats on the 'Ilosaarirock' cd, the FOABP stuff sounds class! Just two quick questions for you; firstly is that your SQ2 kit we are hearing on Ilosaarirock? Secondly have you guys played 'What happens now?' live yet? It's probably my favourite track out of Nil Recurring and FOABP!

Yes that's my SQ2 set and we've played "What Happens Now" many times live - and that ending is quite hard to play!!

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 PM

Hi Gavin,

Out of all the things you're involved in, what do you enjoy the most out of these areas: touring, recording, writing & collaborating, mixing, and recording (saving for later) new drum ideas?

Also, speaking about equipment - not drums, but your computer. I noticed you use your laptop often for clinics and performances, such as the Modern Drummer Festival 2008. What on Earth would you do if that thing crashed?

Circles is amazing! How many times did you rehearse these songs before pressing record? They sound so effortless. Great job - you should be proud!

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 04-17-2009, 06:53 AM

Hi Gavin,

I discovered your sound few months ago. Just amazing. Congratulations.

I want buy a Sonor snare drum. I read on this forum that you used a "sonor designer" maple snare drum 12x5, and a "cottonwood" 14x6.
I like the sound of yours old 12"x5" snare drum, that you used in "Plasson" video.

Which Sonor Artist snare drum is more similiar to your snares drum? Do you know the Sonor Artist Amboina 13"x7"? Is it good?

If I create a new snare on SQ2 Sonor configurator, would I be able to create a snare like your 12"x5" snare drum? Which shell type I would have to choose? Vintage, thin, medium or heavy? The sound will be similar?

A last question: What hi hat did you use on "modern drummer festival weekend 2008" video. Its a K zildjian, but the size is 13" or 14"? Its a special series?

Thanks a lot,

Marcos
Old 04-17-2009, 07:34 AM

Guys,

A few years back I asked Gavin if he would like me to archive the posts here into a Q&A section - and he said yes. Long story short I got incredibly busy with the day job and didn't do it.

Ever since then it's been in the back of my mind, nagging, so two days ago I started.

Data is my #1 priority, so the design is simple and functional - but lacking. Being that I have to swim through 3000+ pages of posts - I want to get that stuff in ASAP.

The driving goal is to keep the discussion here - but help Gavin out by having frequently answered questions head off before their asked - keeping the discussion new and fresh and easier on Gavin.

http://askgavinharrison.com is the site, right now I have 64 questions from pages 80->68 and plan to do 50-100 per day until I'm done.

I hope to have an area where the guys here that have done GREAT jobs transcribing can upload transcriptions, etc.

This is a labor of love, completely free, and not designed to detract from this discussion thread in any way - DW is where the talk happens.

-Richard
Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

wow, awesome work! maybe you could make different sections, Porcupine Tree, audio recording, his trademark cut cymbals, etc!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM

There will be a "tag cloud" specifically for that - categories if you will.

I'm open to suggestions, and will implement anything useful, but please PM them to me. Last thing I want to do is derail this read or irritate Bernard and Gavin. Where else can you ask, for lack of a better word, "drum gods" all of these questions? drummerworld.com is where it's at!

Last time I spoke with Gavin about this (2 years ago or so!) we had several great ideas, and both agreed the focus is this thread - general idea is to give Gavin a little relief answering the more often asks questions.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:18 PM

Hey Gavin,

I read you don't use a click live.

Is that true and if it is, why?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JeffV71

Out of all the things you're involved in, what do you enjoy the most out of these areas: touring, recording, writing & collaborating, mixing, and recording (saving for later) new drum ideas?

I would probably say that I enjoy recording the most - but you can have too much of a good thing - so the best thing - really is having a nice balance of all of the above.

Also, speaking about equipment - not drums, but your computer. I noticed you use your laptop often for clinics and performances, such as the Modern Drummer Festival 2008. What on Earth would you do if that thing crashed?

Yes I have nightmares about that kind of thing - and luckily it behaved very well at the MD Fest. In fact it's never crashed mid drum clinic before (fingers crossed) but one time in Italy I had to set up in a real rush and I got the computer going for a quick soundcheck and then left the stage for a couple of hours. When I went on for the performance (during the first song) suddenly there's a very loud "Choing" alert sound coming through my headphones and the PA - so I looked at the computer and it said "You are now running on reserve power - only 5% left". I had forgotten to plug in the power supply for the laptop and it was going to die any minute. Luckily it made through to the end of the song.

Circles is amazing! How many times did you rehearse these songs before pressing record? They sound so effortless. Great job - you should be proud!

Thanks - I'm very pleased with it. Some of the songs I rehearsed for about three days before I felt I was in good enough shape to record them.

Hi Marcos

I want buy a Sonor snare drum. I read on this forum that you used a "sonor designer" maple snare drum 12x5, and a "cottonwood" 14x6. I like the sound of yours old 12"x5" snare drum, that you used in "Plasson" video. Which Sonor Artist snare drum is more similiar to your snares drum? Do you know the Sonor Artist Amboina 13"x7"? Is it good?

I don't think it's like any of the Artist snares. I have the 13x7 Ambonia and it's really good.

If I create a new snare on SQ2 Sonor configurator, would I be able to create a snare like your 12"x5" snare drum? Which shell type I would have to choose? Vintage, thin, medium or heavy? The sound will be similar?

All I can tell you is that it's 12x5 6 ply maple - so that would be considered Sonor's "Thin" shell. I have played other Sonor 12x5 but they didn't sound exactly the same. My one is quite old - and of course wood is a natural material that you can get lucky with (or not).

A last question: What hi hat did you use on "modern drummer festival weekend 2008" video. It‘s a K zildjian, but the size is 13" or 14"? It‘s a special series?

They're just a standard pair of 13" K hi hats.

Hi fromyesterday

http://askgavinharrison.com is the site, right now I have 64 questions from pages 80->68 and plan to do 50-100 per day until I'm done.

looks great - well done!!

Hi ccutler69

I read you don't use a click live. Is that true and if it is, why?

You can't have read that on this forum! Have a search around and you'll find quite a bit of discussion about it.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-18-2009, 04:53 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, I was wondering if you *always* recorded a track in one take, or sometimes recorded the parts separately, because I find it too frustrating, time consuming and can never get *everything* perfect when recording in one take, so I usually try to record as much as I can in every take, but end up having to link several parts that were recorded separately, I usually cross-fade the parts so they sound as if they came after eachother, but I believe some of the feeling might be lost when recording this way, so, what's your take on it?
Thanks a lot for all the questions you've been answering, all the best.

Fox.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the answers Gavin.
I saw the website askgavinharrison. Ive found many interesting answers.
Come to visit us in Brazil.
God bless,

Marcos
Old 04-18-2009, 10:53 AM

Gavin,

Just purchased Circles and it is nothing short of brilliant genius craftsmanship. Very inspiring.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Hi Gavin!

I've been watching the musikmesse clips on the site here, and I was wondering those tracks will ever be released as playalong tracks. I understand that 19 days is on one of your DVDs.

The reason I ask is that I am studying music at university and the third track in particular would be great to include in my fourth year recital (if I could get the hang of it!).

Cheers.
Ewan.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:08 AM

Fox, based on a previous question

http://www.askgavinharrison.com/arti...g-to-save-time

"I do several takes of the same song and pick the best performance."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Hey Gavin, I was wondering if you *always* recorded a track in one take, or sometimes recorded the parts separately, because I find it too frustrating, time consuming and can never get *everything* perfect when recording in one take, so I usually try to record as much as I can in every take, but end up having to link several parts that were recorded separately, I usually cross-fade the parts so they sound as if they came after eachother, but I believe some of the feeling might be lost when recording this way, so, what's your take on it?
Thanks a lot for all the questions you've been answering, all the best.

Fox.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:12 AM

Gavin,

Any interesting studio stories you can share?

I remember recording once about 10 years ago and when I pulled my china cymbal out the engineer said "real drummers don't use chinas, get rid of that"

http://www.askgavinharrison.com
Old 04-19-2009, 10:01 AM

Hi Gavin,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am really glad that you can spare some of your time for your fans.
I wrote you about Ride cymbal that you use. You told me that you use 1980's K Canadian ride in "19 days" at the concert on your DVD. Can you give my a piece of advice where to buy such a cymbal? Any link would help me.

Ive got another question: Do you use 20" K ride when recording Porcupine Tree albums at the studio? If so, is it this one?
http://zildjian.com/EN-US/products/p...productID=1415

My very last question: On 31 October 2009 youre playing with Porcupine tree in Vienna, Austria.It is true? Are you planning anything special for the concert?

Thank you very much for your reply. C u at the concert!

Matěj