DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-12-2011, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Dear mr Harrison,

Let me first thank you for your inspiring way of playing the drums (or writing / making music generally)... as most of us can agree on, it is pretty much jawdropingly brilliant...

And now for my question (please dont mind the grammar, me being Dutch and stuff):
One of the biggest questions I always intend to ask myself, is how to keep myself being inspired...

I noticed I have long periods that I can't be dragged away from my musical instruments, and other periods that I do not even look at my drumkit, because I know I won't be able to get into the groove and feel, so it'll probably end up in frustration anyway...

So my question to you would be:
How do you keep yourself inspired?

Especially a musician like you that is playing the drums for so many hours a week (am I right?), I'm guessing that somewhere during your career there must have been a time that you knew you were less inspired (I'm just guessing here...) ?

From my experience, I know I can play the drums, like, 3 times better when I can get into the groove, but I need inspiration for that...

I know it is probably a psychological question, and I realise it is probably hard to answer, but do you know any kind of methods/ways to insure that "you're doing the right thing" as far as feeling and inspiration goes?

Once again, thank you very much for your contribution to the musical world!

Erwin
Old 09-15-2011, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos_from_greece! View Post
The only thing that dissapoints me is that his drumming is still untouchable by me!!I just cant do the licks he does!!Listen to orchidia! Man the guy is ruling there.Wedding nails too...and many other songs!I hope porcupine tree realeases some live dvd in order to see him playing on camera.Just amazing!

Just stick with it. I no longer play in a band (nerve issues on right arm/shoulder), but I mess around in my basement with various tunes. One of my favorite songs to play is "Sound of Muzak"...I have gotten pretty decent at it. Playing along to Porcupine Tree I think is making me a better drummer, not just in playing odd time signatures, but the subtle brilliance and creativity of Gavin Harrison has helped me play with more consistency, tempo and fluidity. It's hard to explain, but I'm with you that Gavin is an inspiration.

Basically, after playing Porcupine Tree tunes, when you 'go on your own', you just feel like you're better for having played (even if not correctly) Gavin's music.

As far as watching him play...Youtube has some good stuff of PT and/or Gavin playing live stuff.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Hi Gavin,
how are you?
Ive got one question.Can you tell me from what event this picture is?

Seeing this - it would be AMAZING to have a "drum-battle" with you and Danny one day!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 PM

Hi Gavin,

recently I feel a little pain in my wrist of the left hand. I use my fingers alot when playing.
I tried different things like turning my hand "inward" but it didn't really help.

Now just a couple of days ago I found out that when I hold my left arm nearer to my body it seems to get a little better.

Do you have any advice which aspects could be responsible for wrist-pain ?

Thank you very much!
Best regards
Paul
Old 09-21-2011, 03:47 AM

Hey Gavin,

I notice you don't play the kick drum so much during fills, except to use it as another voice or between your hands. I've heard you say in clinic that you think of the kick drum/double bass the way one would think of ghost notes between snare accents.

Do you ever play four-on-the-floor during fills? If not, is it because you don't like the sound?

Also, since your hands and kick are so intertwined, I'm guessing you must have the toms pretty hot in the mix to compensate. Is that true? If you played acoustically (no mics at all) do you think you'd have a different approach? (Seeing as how the kick & snare tend to be louder than the toms without mics.)

Anyway, sorry for not phrasing that into a better question, just would like to hear your thoughts. I'm realizing that the micing of a drumkit is a big factor in how one plays it and was curious about your evolution of playing over the years in regards to mic setups.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 AM

Oh man... Gavin is easily in my top 5 favourite drummers ever since I first heard him. His musical sensibilities really set him apart in my opinion as he is one of the tastiest players and has such a keen ear. He knows just what to play and when. And his touch is extraordinary.

Amazing player. I wish he'd come and do a clinic in Vancouver, BC. Please Gavin!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi VIeniu

Is there any opportunity to get Porcupine Tree play-alongs?

No - sorry.

Hi Swiss Matthias

Gavin, do you ever practice stuff out of books nowadays? If so, which ones?

yes I still practise out of some books. I recently bought Dave DiCenso's new book and I'm trying to find some spare time to really get into it.

Hi siddhant.seth

1. Do the mics catch signals they are not supposed to(like snare mic catching tom toms etc)... as in is there any leakage of sound in the mics?2. If yes, do you cut them off from the mix or do you let them be?

Yes all the mics can hear all the drums to some degree. That's part of the sound of the instrument - and no I don't cut them off or gate them in the mix.

Hi larzzzz

I have read here in thread that the overhead mics in your studio are set up above your head. I am curious in which configuration you record with them - XY, M/S, ORTF ...
Thank you

here's the short answer: XY

Hi K_HiHats

1) I've noticed lately that you've switched to one cymbal (instead of the normal two) that is placed over your toms. I realize it may be another one of your prototype crash bells (your 9 inch one is my favorite), so what exactly is it? What size? Will you be using just this one instead of the normal two from now on? (In my opinion, I prefer the other two instead of just the one)

Sometimes I just use the 7" custom 'crash bell' at the front of the kit.

2) There's this thing that you did in the live version of 'Drown With Me'. It sound like you're slurring the bass drum and snare together into one. It can be seen right away at 0:39 and 0:45 into the linked video.

They are inverted doubles played as 32nd notes. KLLK KLLK K etc.

Hi Kalma

You use a microphone on your batter head which points to the beaters, right?

the microphone (Shure SM91) is inside the drum resting on the pillow - not outside pointing at the beaters. I don't think I've ever done that.

I'm not quite sure but I remember that you mentioned that you never gate anything. is that right?

correct.

Hi formula428

My question is, have you ever tested (or do you own) an S-Classix snare? How do they stack up to some of your other birch snare drums, considering the 5mm thin S-Classix shell and sharp bearing edges? Would you recommend going with a medium or heavy shell SQ2 birch drum instead of the thin shell S-Classix?

I've never played an S-Classix drum so I can't comment about that - sorry.

Hi ErwinvanAsperen

So my question to you would be:
How do you keep yourself inspired?

Life inspires me - art, architecture and design. Listening to musicians who aren't drummers inspire me.

I know it is probably a psychological question, and I realise it is probably hard to answer, but do you know any kind of methods/ways to insure that "you're doing the right thing" as far as feeling and inspiration goes?

I don't have any methods I can tell you about. I just follow my nose - try to avoid cliches and things I've done before.

Hi CareyCopelandCameron

Ive got one question.Can you tell me from what event this picture is?

Late in January 2011 I went to see Gregg Bissonette play a gig in a bar in LA. I was with Danny, Jojo and Marco Soccoli and we met Carmine there too. Great night out!!

Hi totopaul

recently I feel a little pain in my wrist of the left hand. I use my fingers alot when playing.
I tried different things like turning my hand "inward" but it didn't really help.
Now just a couple of days ago I found out that when I hold my left arm nearer to my body it seems to get a little better. Do you have any advice which aspects could be responsible for wrist-pain ?

do you play traditional grip?

Hi Matty G.

I notice you don't play the kick drum so much during fills, except to use it as another voice or between your hands. I've heard you say in clinic that you think of the kick drum/double bass the way one would think of ghost notes between snare accents.
Do you ever play four-on-the-floor during fills? If not, is it because you don't like the sound?

I don't like the sound of 4-on-the-floor during a drum fill. Come to think of it I don't like 16ths-on-the-floor either.

Also, since your hands and kick are so intertwined, I'm guessing you must have the toms pretty hot in the mix to compensate. Is that true? If you played acoustically (no mics at all) do you think you'd have a different approach? (Seeing as how the kick & snare tend to be louder than the toms without mics.)

I don't think I do have the toms 'hot in the mix'. When I play and listen to them acoustically they sound balanced to my ears.

Hi space jeff

I wish he'd come and do a clinic in Vancouver, BC. Please Gavin!

your wish might come true.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D87j-OY9cY

Hey guys, check this out if you get a chance! A few gavin inspired fills in there, good fun getting up and performing cold, great learning curve!

Cheers from Australia, James
Old 09-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin,

are you attending the London drum show, October 15th - 16th?
Old 09-24-2011, 10:44 PM

1. Have you ever experienced other Audix products like Audix D2 and D4 (toms)? Or Audix overheads? I just bought a DP7 kit and it sounds very professionnal for the price!

2. Is there any release date annonced or informations/previews for GH05 3?

Please come to Montreal for a drum clinic while you're in Canada.
It's the city of Prog! We're all waiting for you... :)

Thanks for your time!

Will
Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi keep it simple

I should be there on the 15th.

Hi willregnier

1. Have you ever experienced other Audix products like Audix D2 and D4 (toms)? Or Audix overheads? I just bought a DP7 kit and it sounds very professionnal for the price!

I've used them in a live setting and thought that they were good - but I didn't get chance to try them in my studio yet.

2. Is there any release date annonced or informations/previews for GH05 3?

It should be available for order at the end of November. Sorry it's taking so long. I'll post some preview samples as soon as I can at my FaceBook site https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gavin...on/96557593864

Please come to Montreal for a drum clinic while you're in Canada.
It's the city of Prog!

I'd love to but it's not on the schedule this time. These will be the only Canadian clinics dates:

October 24th, 2011
WATERLOO, ON.
Long & McQuade Musical Instruments
36 King St. N.
Waterloo, ON N2J 2W8
519-885-4215
Darren McLelland

October 25th, 2011
EDMONTON, AB.
9219 28th Avenue N.W.
Edmonton, AB. T6N 1N1
780-432-0102
Darcy Kadatz

October 26th, 2011
VICTORIA, BC.
756 Hillside Avenue
Victoria, BC V8T 1Z4
250-384-3622
Sean Mitchell

October 27th, 2011
VANCOUVER, BC.
368 Terminal Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6A 3W9
604-734-4886
Shane Wilson

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi keep it simple

I should be there on the 15th.
cheers
Gavin
Cool! I'll be on the Guru Drumworks stand, along with my prototype kit. Do drop by & say hello if you have a moment.

Cheers, Andy.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin - thanks for answering all those questions for us!!

Question on monitor sound level (I mean all the band, except for myself): I've found that
there's kind of two ways for me: Either I keep everything as low as possible, so I have
maximal focus on my drums, and my ears are taken care after.
Or I have a rather big monitor sound, feel everything great and my drums really are
embedded in the sound. That way I think there's more energy and drive from the start.

Now my question is: Do you feel the volume of the monitor sound influences your drumming,
can you play a concert kind of blind flight barely hearing the other instruments, or is there a
big difference whether you have a big monitor sound or not?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say...
Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 PM

Hi Gavin, thank you so much for taking the time to answer all these questions - really is much appreciated by everyone here!

I'm sure I read somewhere that you were once a member of the National Youth Jazz Orchestra. Is that true?
If it is that's pretty cool as I've just joined the band myself!

And now for another slightly trivial question - is it true that you played drums on the Bottom theme tune? I'm sure I read that somewhere too!

Cheers
Robin.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 PM

Hi Gavin,

I DON'T play traditional grip, so the left and right hand are both playing the same "rock-grip" (like Simon Phillips e.g).

Here's my question:

Now just a couple of days ago I found out that when I hold my left arm nearer to my body it seems to get a little better. Do you have any advice which aspects could be responsible for wrist-pain ?

best regards
Paul
Old 09-26-2011, 11:07 PM

Hey Gavin! That little trick you use in 'Drown With Me' is good to know about now.

Two questions I'm once again working with. (Aren't I always?)

1) On the song 'Chloroform,' did you use sticks or brushes for the main tom pattern? Just the way that the toms sound, it makes me think that you're using brushes, but I could be wrong. But then if you were using brushes, then you'd have to be pretty quick on picking up a pair of sticks for the 6/8 ride pattern in the middle part of the song.

2) Whenever you play 'Hatesong' live, do you always play something different during the whole ending phrase that seems to be just one big solo for the whole band? Or do you follow a certain set of rhythms and patterns for the hi hat or ride or china? (a kind of order that you've set up for yourself for what to play and where)

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheers --Peter
Old 09-27-2011, 12:09 AM

Hi Gavin,

if you remember I gave you a draft of a paper about drum tuning when you were in Verona during your Italian drum clinic. That paper was accepted for publication on PAS Percussive Notes. I still don't know on which issue... but I can let you know. If you have comments they are welcome. I also referred to some tips that you suggested on your videos.

very best wishes,

M.

P.S. once in a Video you declared that you don't feel like being a teacher.... but I guess you are teaching to all of us much more than any other teacher in the world! :-) Thanks!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Hi Gavin,

I know that you've said that Porcupine uses a click during live performances - are the tempos exactly the same as the recorded versions? I ask because my band is starting to use a click more and more onstage, but we're having tempo discrepancies because we've gradually gotten 5 to 10 clicks faster on a lot of tunes. Do you have an opinion on live tempos? I like album tempos, but the guys in my band just love to go fast fast fast... Best, Matt
Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Swiss Matthias

Now my question is: Do you feel the volume of the monitor sound influences your drumming, can you play a concert kind of blind flight barely hearing the other instruments, or is there a big difference whether you have a big monitor sound or not?

Since starting to use 'in-ear' monitors I've gained control of the overall sound that reaches my ears - and I have to be careful these days as I blew my ears up in the old days and have tinnitus now. I try to keep the overall volume - including myself - as low as I can. I enjoy it more when it's louder but my ears pay the price after the show.

Hi Drummerrobin

I'm sure I read somewhere that you were once a member of the National Youth Jazz Orchestra. Is that true? If it is that's pretty cool as I've just joined the band myself!

I wouldn't say that I joined the band. I used to go along to the rehearsals in 1977 and sit in sometimes.

And now for another slightly trivial question - is it true that you played drums on the Bottom theme tune?

correct.

Hi totopaul

recently I feel a little pain in my wrist of the left hand. I use my fingers alot when playing. I tried different things like turning my hand "inward" but it didn't really help.

I don't know how to advise you without seeing you play. I haven't had that problem. Maybe a good teacher could help you with that?

Hi K_HiHats

1) On the song 'Chloroform,' did you use sticks or brushes for the main tom pattern? Just the way that the toms sound, it makes me think that you're using brushes, but I could be wrong. But then if you were using brushes, then you'd have to be pretty quick on picking up a pair of sticks for the 6/8 ride pattern in the middle part of the song.

They were 'Hot Rods' and I had a pair of sticks ready on a chair to do a quick change.

2) Whenever you play 'Hatesong' live, do you always play something different during the whole ending phrase that seems to be just one big solo for the whole band? Or do you follow a certain set of rhythms and patterns for the hi hat or ride or china? (a kind of order that you've set up for yourself for what to play and where)

It is an open solo - so I try to play it different every night - that's not to say that I might repeat something that I've played before.

Hi Matty G.

I know that you've said that Porcupine uses a click during live performances - are the tempos exactly the same as the recorded versions?

There's not a click in every song - but when we do it's at the same tempo as the album - and the videos are composed to the album mixes months in advance - so they need to be the same.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM

Hi Gavin,

I guess you don't remember..... :-(

M.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:34 AM

Hey Gavin! I would have never guessed Hot Rods. (I personally prefer Cool Rods at the moment.)

What's this? Only one question that beckons to be answered this time. That... question... is... (drum roll sounds off in the background):

I was recently watching a video of your playing (Gavin Harrison & Simon Phillips [Part 3] Guitar Center's Drum-Off 2010 Finals), and I noticed this really awesome thing that you did during the video. This thing happens to appear at around 1:55, where you play between the ride and hi hat and snare. It looks and sounds pretty cool, so just what the heck are you playing there?

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Yx41LSmXI

That's it for now. Thanks for answering.

Cheers --Peter
Old 10-01-2011, 08:55 PM

I'll try to keep it simple:

1. Since you play with gripped sticks, do you ever get blisters or something? I play with sticks with grip and recently i've been having blisters. Any suggestions?

2. Any plans in the near future, or not so near future to visit India?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:04 PM

Hi Gavin!

After many time, I got the money to buy a SQ2 like yours 8", 10", 12", 15", 16", 22". But here in my country the SQ2 does not arrive, so I would visit Germany or England to buy this drumset.

But near from my house, there‘s a DW collector‘s kit 8", 10", 12", 14", 16", 22".

I know that you use a DW on the PT album "In Absentia", but I think that you use less tom-tom fills on this album than the others PT albums.

1- Is this because the DW drums?
2- Why do you prefer the Sonor over the DW?
3- Could you give me your opinion? Is better take the DW here in my country or take an airplane and buy a SQ2 because it sounds better?

You are a great source of musicality, congratulations Gavin!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Hi Gavin,
another question:
Imagine you would awake after some accident or something
and you would have lost all your abilities to play drums.
Would you start from 0 again?

Im curious for your answer!
Chris
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rítmico View Post
Hi Gavin!

After many time, I got the money to buy a SQ2 like yours 8", 10", 12", 15", 16", 22". But here in my country the SQ2 does not arrive, so I would visit Germany or England to buy this drumset.

But near from my house, there‘s a DW collector‘s kit 8", 10", 12", 14", 16", 22".

I know that you use a DW on the PT album "In Absentia", but I think that you use less tom-tom fills on this album than the others PT albums.

3- Could you give me your opinion? Is better take the DW here in my country or take an airplane and buy a SQ2 because it sounds better?

You are a great source of musicality, congratulations Gavin!
Hey Rítmico!
I know I'm not Gavin, but I have some thought for you: Although of course every brand
sounds different, and SQ2 drumsets are more than amazing, I wouldn't interpret too much
into the drums. A lot of Gavin's sound comes from Gavin - his playing, his touch, his tuning.
So I wouldn't only buy an SQ2 because of that.

Also: If you really invest that much and take a flight in order to buy an SQ2, be absolutely
sure you will be able to take the SQ2 on the plane ;)!!! Otherwise it's going to be seriously
frustrating!!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Hey Gavin!

Any idea when we can expect anything new from Porcupine Tree?
Albums? Tours?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Hey Rítmico!
I know I'm not Gavin, but I have some thought for you: Although of course every brand
sounds different, and SQ2 drumsets are more than amazing, I wouldn't interpret too much
into the drums. A lot of Gavin's sound comes from Gavin - his playing, his touch, his tuning.
So I wouldn't only buy an SQ2 because of that.

Also: If you really invest that much and take a flight in order to buy an SQ2, be absolutely
sure you will be able to take the SQ2 on the plane ;)!!! Otherwise it's going to be seriously
frustrating!!
Great consideration Matthias!

I fully agree with you. Also consider that the sound you hear in a cd in almost never like the original one. Moreover dw makes more "standard vintage shells" whereas SQ2 offers different choices of wood thickness. If I'm not wrong Gavin choose vintage maple for the tom-toms until 12" and medium for the 14" and 16" tom-toms.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:07 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi dr_flam

if you remember I gave you a draft of a paper about drum tuning when you were in Verona during your Italian drum clinic. That paper was accepted for publication on PAS Percussive Notes. I still don't know on which issue... but I can let you know. If you have comments they are welcome. I also referred to some tips that you suggested on your videos.

yes I remember that you handed me the paper and I read it. I didn't have any comments to add to it.

Hi K_HiHats

I was recently watching a video of your playing (Gavin Harrison & Simon Phillips [Part 3] Guitar Center's Drum-Off 2010 Finals), and I noticed this really awesome thing that you did during the video. This thing happens to appear at around 1:55, where you play between the ride and hi hat and snare. It looks and sounds pretty cool, so just what the heck are you playing there?

32nd note patterns that probably have RLRRL in them somewhere plus some kind of paradiddles. It was just something that I improvised on the night rather than an exact worked out pattern.

Hi siddhant.seth

1. Since you play with gripped sticks, do you ever get blisters or something? I play with sticks with grip and recently i've been having blisters. Any suggestions?

I don't get blisters from them - I guess the stick doesn't move around that much in my grip - where the friction from the Vic Grip might cause blistering.

2. Any plans in the near future, or not so near future to visit India?

Sorry no plans to visit India at the moment.

Hi Rítmico

I wasn't trying to use any less tom fills on that record that I'm aware of.

I never really liked the DW - there was a massive mix up on the day I arrived at he studio and Sonor had sent (via a rent company) a real budget kind of kit. So I panicked and got the rent company to send over their most 'pro' kit. They didn't have any more Sonor drums so they sent that DW kit instead.

What country are you from? Do you know a shop that actually has the exact SQ2 you want? Usually it takes 10-12 weeks to order and build it. Personally I'd go for the SQ2 set.

HI anders_slåke

Any idea when we can expect anything new from Porcupine Tree?
Albums? Tours?

No - nothing at the moment. Probably we'll start writing at the end of this year.

dr_flam

If I'm not wrong Gavin choose vintage maple for the tom-toms until 12" and medium for the 14" and 16" tom-toms.

'Thin' shells for the 8, 10, 12 and then 'Medium' shells for the floor toms and 'Heavy' for the bass drum.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 PM
sticks4drums

Hey Gavin. Just wanted to tell you I had not heard of you before drum solo week. You really impressed me. I am a huge Neil Peart fan and found you to be similar in some of your solo approaches. I will be following you more closely now.

I also wanted to say I really loved the sound of your kit. Was the best sounding one of all the solos I heard.

Keep up the great work.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:39 PM

Hi Gavin,

What country are you from? Do you know a shop that actually has the exact SQ2 you want? Usually it takes 10-12 weeks to order and build it. Personally I'd go for the SQ2 set.

I‘m from Brazil, but I have friends in England and Germany. They can order the SQ2 for me and I just need bring it to Brazil. I‘m just afraid about the possibility that air company don‘t take care of my drums and breaks or damage the drums during transport. This is the only problem. So it‘s easier take the DW.

I asked your council only to know if the SQ2 sound is better than DW, that the risk of transport is valid.

Do you have any recommendation to transport a drumset (only the shellpack) in an airplane?

Thank you for your patience and tips.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rítmico View Post
Hi Gavin,

I‘m from Brazil, but I have friends in England and Germany. They can order the SQ2 for me and I just need bring it to Brazil. I‘m just afraid about the possibility that air company don‘t take care of my drums and breaks or damage the drums during transport. This is the only problem. So it‘s easier take the DW.

I asked your council only to know if the SQ2 sound is better than DW, that the risk of transport is valid.

Do you have any recommendation to transport a drumset (only the shellpack) in an airplane?

Thank you for your patience and tips.
Hi Ritmico,

Follow the link below

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=1526

Sonor takes care seriously the drum package, as you can see in the review.

Good luck

Gus.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Just today we uploaded a new transcription: Gavin Harrison - Drumsolo - Chicken - Letterman:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/g...anchicken.html

thank you so much Terry Branam: The Chief

Bernhard
Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Awesome, thanks a lot Terry!! I wanted to do this one too, but you were definitely a lot faster!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Following the transcription makes me feel dizzy! What an awesome solo. And a terrific work to write it all out.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Hi Gavin

Love your drumming, very inspirational. ;)
I'm from Russia, currently sudying in the UK. Have you got any plans on having a clinic or something like that in Russia, in the future? :)

Last edited by Staz17; 10-11-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 AM

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for your reply!

Do you plan on doing a clinic on the east coast, around New Jersey maybe?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:38 AM

Good day Gavin.

Me from Lithuania again :)

I've been playing bass drum barefoot (with socks) for the last 3-4 months, as the summer was very hot and it was not comfortable to play with trainers. Now its getting cold and I've tried to play with the same trainers I've played before. I can't do it, its very uncomfortable now, because I don't feel the pedal so 'purely' as it feels when playing barefoot.

Question: Do you ever play barefoot now or have you been ever playing barefoot? And do you find it rather comfortable or not?

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishhaggis View Post
Good day Gavin.

Me from Lithuania again :)

I've been playing bass drum barefoot (with socks) for the last 3-4 months, as the summer was very hot and it was not comfortable to play with trainers. Now its getting cold and I've tried to play with the same trainers I've played before. I can't do it, its very uncomfortable now, because I don't feel the pedal so 'purely' as it feels when playing barefoot.

Question: Do you ever play barefoot now or have you been ever playing barefoot? And do you find it rather comfortable or not?

Thanks a lot!
That is actually a great question. I notice most drummers play with shoes, but I have always played with just socks and whenever I have tried with shoes, it just throws off my whole rhythm and technique since I am use to playing with just socks. All other drummers I know play with shoes and they find it strange that I don't.

Anyways it will be interesting to hear Gavin's response.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Just today we uploaded a new transcription: Gavin Harrison - Drumsolo - Chicken - Letterman:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/g...anchicken.html

thank you so much Terry Branam: The Chief

Bernhard
Got a kick out of the note on page 2 of that transcription:

"Lose right stick."

Nice touch, Terry!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 AM

LOVE the name Brorrito.