Valley Drum Shop Snare?

Babaji

Hello,

I'm wondering if someone knows the value of a "Valley Drum Shop" 7 X 14 wood snare made in 83' by Ron Syde? I've been looking all over and can't find what it may be worth. Thanks

need a lot more info.What finish,lugs,keller shell,jasper,eames?Either way its not going to be a lot of money.Custom drums have terrible resale value.

Steve B

You could always go to Ric's page here and ask him for yourself:

https://www.facebook.com/richard.syde

I frequented their shop all the time when I was starting out in the late 80's, and they were always straight up with me. Love these guys! Just found Ric on Facebook and he remembers me even after 30 years! Give him a shout...

I remember Valley Drum, I think they were the main distributor for Blaemire's drums. They'd get the shells and put on whatever hardware you wanted, which accounts for the various kits/snares out there with typically either Rogers, Slingerland or Ludwig hardware. I forgot when they closed, I think they had a fire and that was the end of things.

As for value, hard to say. I agree that custom/"unknown" drums generally possess diminished resale value, but there may be some L.A,. guys who feel differently about those particular drums.

Bermuda

Here's a little bump. I used to shop at Valley Drum Shop all the time. My dad would take me as a kid there. I knew Ron Syde from when he was at Hollywood Drums in Northridge. Both him and his son Rick were and continue to be amazing people. I always wanted one of their custom snares because all the cool studio guys at the time were drooling over them, but I never got around to it. Lo and behold I found one on Craigslist last year and it's become a favorite. I haven't recorded with it yet, but for live, it kicks some good tail!! 7"x14" maple with Slingerland lugs and the famous Pearl Gladstone style strainer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 432
Back