The essence of mastery

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummingman

Gold Member
As a drummer it is my goal to reach the upper levels of mastery on my instrument. My goal is to one of the greats, so to speak, in the field of drumming. A lofty goal, but one I fully believe is achievable. It's not my intention to reach this goal for mere adoration from others. But my main reason for striving for such mastery is for the personal achievement of going farther then many every will.

I'm inspired by people in every field who have done this. For example, Buddy Rich, Bruce Lee, Etc. These guys are the standard bearers that show what is possible when one truly dedicates themselves to a goal.

So I'm pondering the ways to truly reach such a level of mastery on the drums. There are so many areas one can focus on as a drummer that mastery of every one is honestly not possible. So that by default means narrowing the focus down to at least a hand full of areas. After this has been decided upon then it's time to get to work. This is where my main point of discussion falls.

In order to achieve mastery in the decided upon areas what does it truly take? How many hours of practice a day? Does it mean sacrificing all hobbies and only focusing on one's musical goals? What does it truly take to be a master of something?

Obviously time, dedication, passion, drive, and a refusal to quit in tough times is paramount. But I'm also looking for the intangibles, as well as other tangible, to implement.

Just to be clear, when I say mastery I mean reaching of the highest levels of a certain area. Not where one reaches a point and says "that's all there is to learn here" and then just moves on. I don't know if that's ever truly possible in any area of study. So by mastery I mean reaching a level that is far higher than most will every go or pursue.

I think it was Tony Williams or/and Steve Smith that said it best. .the drum set is not an "instrument" and each instrument should be mastered indvidually as well as collectively. Maybe that is a good starting point?

How old are you? I guess older than four years. Then it's too late. No chance to get to Buddys level anymore. :)

What does it take? Hard work, hard work, hard work, deidication, dedication, dedication - and some good genes (=talent, good ears, good limb-proportions, good muscles). And of course education and working with other musicians all the time. And ... XYZ

Ordinary mastery-- meaning you're playing at a professional level, and able to sound good in all common settings without a lot of preparation, and people are asking you to do paying work-- can be achieved in a fairly short amount of time with some talent and a lot of immersion: a lot of practicing, playing with good musicians, and listening. And having access to good information, and the ability to recognize it. Plenty of players get to this level of playing in their 20s, sometimes teens. The vast majority don't, so just getting to that level makes you very special.

Once you get there, you can talk about going further. Obviously we're talking about more work, over a longer period, maybe more talent.

I hate calling people "the greats", but to be one really requires special opportunities in addition to special abilities: you have to meet the right people, do big projects together, and have them be recognized as great by large numbers of people.

I don't actually think the type of goal orientation you're describing is productive. Mainly because, even if you're a very good player, unless you end up being "a great", you will have failed, and you will have wasted your life. You should be so lucky to be a very good player. I also just don't believe you can get there being focused on greatness/mastery in the abstract. Everyone I know who can play didn't want to be some unnamed "great", they wanted to be Elvin Jones. And/or Tony Williams, Jack Dejohnette, Billy Cobham, whoever they were insanely in love with. Long after they could play and were sounding great. I don't think you can become any kind of player without being insanely in love with specific, good music.

Ordinary mastery-- meaning you're playing at a professional level, and able to sound good in all common settings without a lot of preparation, and people are asking you to do paying work-- can be achieved in a fairly short amount of time with some talent and a lot of immersion: a lot of practicing, playing with good musicians, and listening. And having access to good information, and the ability to recognize it. Plenty of players get to this level of playing in their 20s, sometimes teens. The vast majority don't, so just getting to that level makes you very special.

Once you get there, you can talk about going further. Obviously we're talking about more work, over a longer period, maybe more talent.

I hate calling people "the greats", but to be one really requires special opportunities in addition to special abilities: you have to meet the right people, do big projects together, and have them be recognized as great by large numbers of people.

I don't actually think the type of goal orientation you're describing is productive. Mainly because, even if you're a very good player, unless you end up being "a great", you will have failed, and you will have wasted your life. You should be so lucky to be a very good player. I also just don't believe you can get there being focused on greatness/mastery in the abstract. Everyone I know who can play didn't want to be some unnamed "great", they wanted to be Elvin Jones. And/or Tony Williams, Jack Dejohnette, Billy Cobham, whoever they were insanely in love with. Long after they could play and were sounding great. I don't think you can become any kind of player without being insanely in love with specific, good music.

That is precisely it. Todd, you've nailed it right on the head as usual.

If you want to aim for 'greatness', you don't aim for that target. It's not a useful target. Aim to be the best player you can by getting out there, practicing and enjoying what you do. Sitting around typing about the concept of 'mastery' is about as far away from achieving 'mastery' as its possible to get.

Read "The Big Gig" by Zoro.

And read "The Music Lesson" by Victor L. Wooten.

I disagree with some of the posts.

The pursuit of excellence for excellence's sake is a noble goal. And if this is what you're after, rather than fame, you'll be satisfied to have been the best you could be.

It's important to recognize that many things are out of your control, such as your level of God-given talent, health and, to some extent, opportunity. Would we have ever heard of Charlie Watts if he hadn't hooked up with the Stones? I'd say a sizable percentage of musicians were in the right place at the right time, met the right musicians etc. Once that happens and you get paid to play every day with pros, no longer working full-time at anything else, becoming known as a pro yourself, your opportunities multiply exponentially.

The big question in my eyes is not so much "how exactly do I become excellent?" as it is "Can I really be content to devote my life to this goal even if nothing ever comes of it?" If the answer to the second question is "YES", then go back to the first question. Maybe you've already

I disagree with some of the posts.

The pursuit of excellence for excellence's sake is a noble goal. And if this is what you're after, rather than fame, you'll be satisfied to have been the best you could be.

It's important to recognize that many things are out of your control, such as your level of God-given talent, health and, to some extent, opportunity. Would we have ever heard of Charlie Watts if he hadn't hooked up with the Stones? I'd say a sizable percentage of musicians were in the right place at the right time, met the right musicians etc. Once that happens and you get paid to play every day with pros, no longer working full-time at anything else, becoming known as a pro yourself, your opportunities multiply exponentially.

The big question in my eyes is not so much "how exactly do I become excellent?" as it is "Can I really be content to devote my life to this goal even if nothing ever comes of it?" If the answer to the second question is "YES", then go back to the first question. Maybe you've already

Great comments. Last night I discovered a new PBS series (Public Television in the U.S.) called "Soundbreaking" about the history and evolution of recording. One episode was about capturing vocals. A lot of well-known names on there -- performers as well as producers and engineers -- and what jumped out at me was the consensus of what made a great singer. It wasn't simply the ability to hit every note perfectly or having good timing, but something that comes from within -- a combination of natural talent, drive to succeed, and an intangible that seems to just well up from the soul. The thing about these is, two out of three are something you either have or don't have. That intangible is a combination of emotion, creativity and the means to express it that sets the "greats" apart. Some of the "greats" did not have particularly good voices, but they could reach out and touch you in your deepest recesses. The same principles, I believe, apply to all instruments. You can't simply "will" yourself to attain these things if they're not already there. When I assess myself, I think I'm an OK drummer (for what I do), I have a great time playing the drums, but at the same time I acknowledge I do not possess that "it" factor that would allow me to become as good as (fill in the name of your favorite drummer here).

The desire and drive are necessary elements of "mastery," but some honest self evaluation is also required. The drive to put in the time, practice, and playing with others will almost certainly make you a better player and musician, but may not necessarily make you "great."

Mastery is a very broad term. Stating your exact goals would be more beneficial to you.

For instance, if you want to make a living from playing music, that's the main part of your goal, you don't necessarily have to be a master. You just have to excel at what you need to do to make your living. If you want to be a master of the drumset anyway, have at it. Just don't let the pursuit of mastery "get in the way" of making a living. If that's your goal of course. Making a living playing drums and mastery...you don't have to have one to have the other.

OTOH, if you want mastery for your own personal satisfaction and you don't care if it makes you a living, that's a very different goal. I'm doubting this is your motivation.

Your target should be crystal clear in your mind down to the most minute detail.

Maybe you're the type of person where this mindset motivates you. I hope so. I know I couldn't take that kind of self inflicted pressure. I feel I would be setting myself up for disappointment. Drumming makes me happy right now, today. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like you will be putting off much satisfaction until you feel you've proven to yourself or others, that you are a master. That could take decades. My point is don't put off happiness because you don't feel you are a master yet.

In my world, no expectations works best. It is what it is. If it works out, great, if not, great.

But don't let me drain my boils on your parade lol.

This is purely speculation, but IMO a true master of the drumset, if that's actually a real thing... doesn't just wake up one day and feel he is a master, unless there's still a healthy dose of ego hanging around, like Buddy Rich for example. A true master in my mind is closer to selfless, and probably never feels like a master, my guess. Because there is always something more that's beyond reach, and this is known by the student trying to achieve mastery.

Me, I let myself be happy about little advancements. Mastery....I know I don't have what it takes to be a master. That's OK. I don't need to be a master. That in no way detracts from all that drumming gives me, which is considerable. I know I can advance when I need to, and that's good enough for me.

The only advice I can offer to the goal of mastery...after you have the required coordinations to a point where it's automatic, learn to let go of your ego and try to be a conduit....a.channel ....that music can flow through. Music doesn't originate with you....that would be ego talking. Music is a gift from above and comes to us in the form of inspiration. The best you can do is eliminate the mental restrictions and blockages that stand between you and your connection to what I call the Universal Well of Rhythms. Or the Spirit plane. Whatever you like.

Last edited:
What is mastery of drumming?

No one has mastered playing the way Charlie Watts does, like Charlie himself. Its his way, its his style and his imperfections that make his drumming. He is known for his drumming the World over so its safe to say he is a drumming master/legend.

Is mastery playing perfect, even, single stroke rolls? Drum machine manufacturers spent years factoring in the "human" feel to stop there devices sounding like a machine gun.

Is mastery being able to play anything anyone else has ever played, but faster?
Or, is it having the ability to be inventive, play with any other musicians and enhance the music, whatever the genre? I prefer the latter.

Most of the musicians we call great, or masters, are only so because they played on era defining albums or multi million sellers. They may have played for other huge artists on world tours. Its the music they make that elevates them to legends, not some mythical mastery of an instrument.

Aspire to being a "good" drummer, easy to work with and always the light in the room and you will go far. Be a musician not just a drummer and you will understand the music and how to get into the song.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply constructively.

I was thinking more about this topic last night. I agree with what has been said that there are some factors beyond one's control. There are some drummers that are considered master's that don't have the best technique. But what they do in the context of their band is what makes them a master. So on a certain level it can be band dependent.

My goal is to make a living as a full time player. But, I also want to achieve a level of mastery and innovation that makes me unique amongst others. It's my desire to be the absolute best that I can be and leave a mark that I can be proud of and that will inspire others to be the best they can be.

I believe in searching and seeking for answers on any topic that I'm interested in. I believe it's important to always approach anything as an eternal student. It's the only way to truly keep growing.

On the topic of sacrificing for mastery, I do have to wonder if that means cutting all things out of one's life that detracts attention from said goal? Such as hobbies or past times. Or, if having these hobbies that takes a person off the drums and away from practice a few days a week will actually help in achieving the goal of mastery because it recharges the musical batteries and brings a person back to the drums refreshed?

Or, if having these hobbies that takes a person off the drums and away from practice a few days a week will actually help in achieving the goal of mastery because it recharges the musical batteries and brings a person back to the drums refreshed?

I think you're underestimating the amount of practice that really good instrumentalists do.

I work with quite a few professional musicians and before they were full-time musicians, they were practicing every single day for several hours. They don't practice like that now but they have ten years of that training behind them and can polish up their skills again if they need them for a concert. One guy I work with was a professional oboe player for many years and now teaches but he teaches on at least three other instruments and is a very high standard at those too. That takes huge dedication.

If you want to be good at an instrument, there aren't any shortcuts. You just have to practice. Practice. Play out. Practice. Practice. Practice.

If you want to make a living playing an instrument, you also have to be good to work with, reliable and available to play. That means you have to be good with other people.

. . . I do have to wonder if that means cutting all things out of one's life that detracts attention from said goal? Such as hobbies or past times. . .

That would make for a one-dimensional, boring person. Is that who you want to be?

As I began my study in the photographic arts, I kept riding my cruiser on the beaches, dating cuties, surfing throughout Baja & SoCal, and hanging with friends of all shades & attitudes. They supported my "hobby", and I'm forever grateful for that.

I highly recommend a mentor. I put in the obligatory 10,000 hours to achieve an average level of competence & success. But my career took off after 3 years of apprenticeship in the art/craft. During those years, my work was critiqued every week, and I was always encouraged to "try it again, and get it right". Without that mentorship, I'd have been lost.

In my life I have put in massive amouts of practice. I still try to practice as much as possible. But, I always feel like I should do more. So that makes me think that I need to eliminate my hobbies so I can put in more practice time. But then I think about the fact that this could lead to burn out as a drummer.

I know its very important to strive for balance. But in order the reach such high levels in any area one has to put in the time. So its determining that amout of balance to reaching mastery and having a balanced fulfilled life. I think thats the hard part.

Because this is a discussion board and I like discussing interesting topics. No one is forcing anyone to perticipate. That's the beauty of the enternet, if you don't like the topic a new one is just a click away! Have a nice day!

Because this is a discussion board and I like discussing interesting topics. No one is forcing anyone to perticipate. That's the beauty of the enternet, if you don't like the topic a new one is just a click away! Have a nice day!

I just don't understand the mindset of discussing deeply personal, nebulous concepts that would only apply to you and asking for the advice of others. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back