Returning to the Drum Set after Five Years

TJDrums

Hello all,

So I played drums for a few years in high school. I'm a guitarist of about thirteen years, but I picked up the sticks in high school to play drums for a punk band for a few years.

Unfortunately, I came to a point where I had to give up the kit. To make a long story short, I'm back.

I've picked up a practice pad, a few set of sticks, and pieced together a decent kit on CL. I picked up a DW7000 single pedal, Xs20 cymbals (Hi-hat, 16" crash, 20" ride), a pearl export 4-piece kit, and all the hardware. I've put some new heads on the kit, tuned em up, and I'm ready to get back to playing.

So here's where I ask for some advice. Where do I begin to learn?

I know all my rudiments, and practice them to a metronome at different speeds quite regularly. I know some exercises to strengthen my weak hand, which has lost its focus due to my hiatus. Back in the day I worked through Tommy Igoe's basic beat DVD, and used JoJo Mayer's hand technique DVD to help strengthen my technique. I know of different bass drum techniques (swivel, slide, etc).

So, what to learn? Should I just try to work my way through different songs, and learn some new drum licks along the way? I want to maximize my productivity and not waste any practice time. I have much less free time now than I did back in high school!

Its good to be back, and I thank you all in advance for your advice.

I think everyone on here will agree that the best advice is that you find a good teacher who you trust and will send you in the right directions. A good teacher is invaluable and will no doubt maximize your potential. Good luck and stay with it.

Welcome back, TJ. Assuming you don't have time for lessons, my first thought is to find the John Riley videos on UTube and simply learn to groove again. In addition to that, check out the Mike Johnston videos to learn cool new licks using the rudiments that you already know. Once you are feeling comfortable again, join a band of part timers with your musical interests and just jam with them. Have fun. And let us know how you're doing along the way.

GeeDeeEmm

Back