Painting a bass drum reso head?

Magenta

Platinum Member
I've commissioned artwork from my tame graphic designer, that I had intended to have printed on a BD head, but today he offered to paint it on by hand. Is this doable, and if so, how? Obviously, I would want the design to withstand a certain amount of wear and tear, with minimal detriment to sound.

It's possible.

In one of my bands, the singer's roommate painted my front head. I'm not sure what paint she used, but it held up.

If you start with a coated head, I think just about any paint would work (mine started as smooth black).

As for detriment to sound, yes, it will happen, but it will be so minimal, I doubt anyone will notice.

It's possible.

In one of my bands, the singer's roommate painted my front head. I'm not sure what paint she used, but it held up.

If you start with a coated head, I think just about any paint would work (mine started as smooth black).

As for detriment to sound, yes, it will happen, but it will be so minimal, I doubt anyone will notice.

Ah, great, thanks! Tbh, I think I'd be one of the last people to notice a detriment to sound; I just don't like the idea of it happening :)

I was thinking some sort of acrylic. Because even MY bass drum reso head moves. A bit. But I will mention this to Graphic Designer.

Ahem, Andy: Guru decal? Unless you trust GD to reproduce it faithfully. ETA, two please? One for each band :)

Woo, demand is obviously good! Not surprised. Did I ever say how much I rejoice in every single hit, just because every strike is so beautiful even when I make it?

Do you want chrome or black?

Chrome please :)

Not the best logo, but it was paint on a smooth black head.

It held up to countless gigs in the mid to late 90's.

Heck, I still have the head today.

nde05.jpg

That's very impressive!

I was thinking some sort of acrylic. Because even MY bass drum reso head moves. A bit. But I will mention this to Graphic Designer.

Ahem, Andy: Guru decal? Unless you trust GD to reproduce it faithfully. ETA, two please? One for each band :)

Acrylic will work on a coated head, as will watercolors.

The attached pic is one done in watercolor.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 1,002
Not sure if paints are different, but I met an artist who painted on white coated heads and he said he used oil paints as that would flex with the head better. That was years ago.

I got my dad to reproduce one of his paintings onto a reso head for me. I gave him a coated Ambassador to work with and he used acrylic. It turned out well. He passed away a year later, so it is really something I will cherish for the rest of my days.

Acrylic or oil will be fine , after all it's only paint and a reso head. I had a Frankenstein Head painted on my first Pearl tigers eye kit, wish I kept it.

I painted this on the inside on a clear head. I cut out stencils from paper and spray painted it. then I sprayed blue and white over it. This was around 1997. I used it for at least 8yr. It's got a few places where the paint is coming off, but over all it's still good.

20150402_181801%201_zpsk6pbp87e.jpg

"Holy Smoke" - Knowing some of the stuff I've pulled off in the last 56 years I wouldn't call myself holy. Pious, maybe, but not holy.

I'd think any exterior grade paint would work well. Exterior paint has to withstand the shrinkage and expansion due to the changes in temperature - I'd think a bit of vibration would be no problem.

Ha Ha. Smoke. I'm not holy, just the guy we sang about. Lol.

I'm really glad I asked! Not just for the wisdom, but I've enjoyed seeing the works of art too! Thanks folks :)

Back