What are your bass player priorities / red flags?

I most dislike playing with loud rushing dominant bassists. It's stressful lol

Things like enjoyable tone and volume and the ability to lock in and hold it together are things you'd hope for from any musician.

I most dislike playing with loud rushing dominant bassists. It's stressful lol

Things like enjoyable tone and volume and the ability to lock in and hold it together are things you'd hope for from any musician.
Agreed Grea - just like any player, there has to be balance & purpose to playing decisions.

News: By way of update, we've completed the first round of auditions. We tried players who, based on their submissions only, met the criteria, but were lower down the list in terms of expectation. The 2nd round is with players who we expect to be better - again, based on their submissions.

Out of the first round, we had one player who very substantially exceeded expectations, & he is absolutely under consideration. Just goes to show how tenuous / unreliable the initial filtering process can be.

Out of the first round, we had one player who very substantially exceeded expectations, & he is absolutely under consideration. Just goes to show how tenuous / unreliable the initial filtering process can be.

I love it when that kind of thing happens, and not just with musicians btw.

I wonder if you and your bandmates had something to do with supporting/evoking a certain kind of musical identity and performance for this person?

Girlfriend in tow.

THIS!!

While I respect relationships & all, regularly bringing your sig other to ANY band related activity just breeds trouble. Over time they seem to want to become the "manager", or start to dictate when you rehearse and for how long.
Never ends well.

As a drummer, I need the bass player to lock in with me and me him. We're a foundation team and if we're not on, no one else is.

I wonder if you and your bandmates had something to do with supporting/evoking a certain kind of musical identity and performance for this person?
That might be a stretch, but he did really enjoy himself. If that enjoyment translated significantly to his playing, then maybe so :)

I think he had the necessary tools in the first place. He submitted some videos of his current band. To say those videos didn't represent him well is understatement of the decade. Just goes to show, you can find good players who are stuck in lacklustre bands.

An update for anyone interested - we finally selected a new bassist!

To roll back, our aim was to find not only a very competent bass player, but also someone with strong BV ability. In a largely rural area, not easy at all - actually, not easy anywhere.

We had a lot of applicants, & amongst those, a couple that were very close to the mark. However, eventually, one stood head & shoulders above the rest, but we had to wait a while before he was available for audition. We were after someone who could take the band forward, & we certainly found that.

Although I'm really pleased we eventually found the right player, I'm also a little bit scared. I'm fairly sure I'm now the technically weakest member of the band, but I'm embracing the opportunity to force myself to improve.

We're announcing the change in a couple of weeks time, then it's only two rehearsals until the first gig with the new lineup - tight, but doable.

Wow it took less than 3 months since you started this thread. Sounds like all your boxes are ticked. I hope personality wise, he works out over time. Beings that your band is a well run and totally professional outfit, I'm sure he won't want to give that up, it's rare.

Congratulations Andy.

It's a great opportunity for a bass player.

Looking forward to seeing a vid of the new guy.

Were there any female applicants? Female bass players are cool.

That can only help a stageful of "over a certain age" men lol.

All right Andy I'm "Fired Up" for you and the band. Success in your efforts is always sweet-like Larry can't wait to see you guys in action. I'll wear my FU t-shirt in honor of the event today ;)

How did he stack up against the guy he's replacing Andy?

I've told you before, I loved that guy. His playing was great. His stage demenour was entertaining. And his overall presence was fabulous. You may recall me mentioning years ago, that he reminded me so much of my favourite bass player (and still best mate to this very day)?

Is the new guy a worthy replacement?

How did he stack up against the guy he's replacing Andy?

I've told you before, I loved that guy. His playing was great. His stage demenour was entertaining. And his overall presence was fabulous. You may recall me mentioning years ago, that he reminded me so much of my favourite bass player (and still best mate to this very day)?

Is the new guy a worthy replacement?
It's difficult to come to any real conclusion this early on. There's playing / facility differences for sure. In many ways, the new guy is a more straight ahead player - very "open" - super solid. His vocal ability is undeniable, & with our significant upgrade in lead vocalist last year, we're hoping that's a potent mix.

I think it's best summed up by stating our goals. We were determined to take this opportunity to take the band up a few notches, rather than simply seek a replacement, & my gut feeling is we've done that. Of course, it will take a while to wash through.

The last number of the last gig with our current bass player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzCYEX1C-Q&feature=youtu.be A different gig to our usual, & not exactly a big exit gig for him, but enjoyable non the less.

Our new bassist starts rehearsals tomorrow. Only 3 rehearsals to get up to speed on about 30 numbers. Quite a big ask, & our first gig with him is a fairly chunky headline outdoor event in a few weeks time. Nothing like getting stuck in eh!

Back