two-legged hi-hat stands

timmdrum

Gold Member
Anyone find that they wobble a bit more than 3-leg stands, especially on carpet? The rehearsal kit at a friend's house has a DW hi-hat stand that wobbles like crazy on his fairly lush carpet. (Don't know the model- the one with two legs and way-too-thick bottom tube section that's too wide for the clamp mount for my aux snare!)

Two-legged hi-hat stands are a geometric design flaw to begin with (this oughta' start a flame war, eh?).

The strongest geometric shape is the triangle, and you're losing that strength when you eliminate one leg of a hi-hat base. The pedal wasn't meant to be the 'third leg' of a triangle. Of course, I've owned the two legged DW 5500 hi-hat stand and with enough weight and angle, you can eliminate the wobble, but at what cost? Now you have a hi-hat stand that significantly weighs more and your hats are angled a bit to help compensate. Whereas, now I'm happily using a single-braced Tama Stagemaster hi-hat stand that is stable like a rock, weighs less than half the DW and my hi-hats aren't angled towards me.

I always recommend a three-legged hi-hat stand if it's to be standing on its own.

I use a no-leg hihat stand,clamped to a two-legged cymbal stand. Instead of seven points of contact, I have three, save a bit of weight, streamline the appearance of my kit and open up space on the floor for percussion foot pedals. I control wobble through the spread of the cymbal stand legs and pedal - imagine the stability if you had a hihat stand base as big as a cymbal stand.

My Iron Cobra lever glide is solid as a rock. No wobble or tilt or lean ever. It's just exactly perfect.

I had a DW hi-hat stand, and I couldn't move fast enough to get rid of it.​
Bit of an "inherent" design flaw, I'll say. I'd basically classify it as a POS ... and an expensive one at that ... oh well, live and learn.​
What I do own, and have kept for some time now, a Yamaha single braced (700 series) with the swivel tripod legs. And when I need "extra" room (floorspace), out comes a Tama legless stand that I clamp to a close "whatever" with a Gibraltar SC-EA 100 and "gizmo clamp" that I put together 18 years ago. My current favorite, however, is the Yamaha WHS860. Remote cable-operated hi-hat.​

I've gotten my DW9500 2-legger pretty stable by adjusting the legs so the heel plate shares some of the load. Otherwise, if too much wieght rests on the section below the chain link, it will wobble.

I'm kinda using the heel plate as a 3rd point in the triangle. Works like a charm, and I do a lot of time keeping and bouncing with my HH foot. It is on a thicker carpet, which I'm sure helps.

I use a DW5000 2-legger HH on my practice set, with a thin carpet. No issues there (after adjusting legs + heel plate)

Seems like we just had another thread about this... but I'll bite.

I use a PDP 820 two-legged stand and I have some stability issues with it on anything less that completely flat, solid surfaces (like, say, smooth concrete). What I ended up doing was taking a very old piece of hardware that looks like it was made in the 60's or 70's as some sort of prehistoric multi-clamp - and it stabilizes the hi-hat just enough to prevent wobble.

Attachments

• hatbrace.jpg
    hatbrace.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,732
I've got two two legged hihat stands...one of them is a Yamaha HS1100 and the other is the newer HS1200T...the 1200 is clearly the more stable stand... I can't get it to wobble, whereas the 1100 will wobble some if the surface has some give to it...

I believe in using the right equipment for any particular job. I own just one two legged Tama Lever Glide (HH905) stand for use in conjunction with my double pedal. The rest of my Hi Hat stands are all three legged with my newest being a DW 5500D three legged stand.

BTW, I have absolutely no stability problems either on hard floors or carpeted areas using the Tama stand.

Dennis

I believe in using the right equipment for any particular job. I own just one two legged Tama Lever Glide (HH905) stand for use in conjunction with my double pedal. The rest of my Hi Hat stands are all three legged with my newest being a DW 5500D three legged stand.

BTW, I have absolutely no stability problems either on hard floors or carpeted areas using the Tama stand.

Dennis

Not to be argumentative but I have other hat stands and have seen no reason to even look at them since the Tama Lever Glide arrived.

Not to be argumentative but I have other hat stands and have seen no reason to even look at them since the Tama Lever Glide arrived.

You're not being argumentive at all. I have a few different kits and sometimes some of them are in different locations, so that's why the different Hi Hat stands. Currently I have the Tama Lever Glide, a Tama HH75, a Yamaha HS840, a Pearl 900, a very old Remo stand and now also the DW 5500D. All the above stands are very good, although I retired the Remo a few years ago. I also carry a spare stand in the van when going on gigs and when I have to take my kits into the studio. I believe in redundancy, it's one less thing I have to worry about failing.

Dennis

I also have no problems with my Tama Lever Glide stand.
I love it. It is strong, stable, tall, smooth, and heavy duty.

Back