PROTECT YOUR EARS - ear plugs, hearing loss, deafness

Re: Ear Protection

XeroX said:
MFB, do you have vented or non-vented? The site recommends vented for musicians, but they don't really seem to have much dB reduction.

Mine are vented, they do have a significant dB reduction. If you're doing a serious amount of high, cracking rimshots, you may be better off with non vented, but like I said, for 90% + of applications, even the vented ones will be fine. They let through enough of the natural sound, more than non vented would at least.

Jay, I remember once doing a session for a friend in his (converted-ish) cellar. I was hitting hard and my snare was cranked right, right up. I had my proplugs in, but I remember the guitarist walking in and physically flinching and blinking every time I hit a rimshot. I was playing for a Pixies cover, so it was totally appropriate. I was laughing so hard each time I hit that backbeat.

Alright, thanks for the info. You've played wuhan and stagg splashes havent ya? I know this is completely unrelated to this thread, but what series is your stagg, and which do you think is better (if they're the same price)?

The splash is a DH 8". Very thin, very trashy. I don't think you can actually go wrong with any of their series of splashes, they all share similar characteristics with the super trashiness. My SH China Splash (10") is a little dead sounding, but it's probably the way I have it mounted. Great effects cymbals.

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
Jay, I remember once doing a session for a friend in his (converted-ish) cellar. I was hitting hard and my snare was cranked right, right up. I had my proplugs in, but I remember the guitarist walking in and physically flinching and blinking every time I hit a rimshot. I was playing for a Pixies cover, so it was totally appropriate. I was laughing so hard each time I hit that backbeat.

LMAO the first time the band I'm with heard me play properly I remember laughing so hard at them for the exact same reason, I was using a 13" x 3" steel shell cranked up as far as humanly possible at the time tho haha

I think the 42 Strand Wires may have added to the super loudness. It really needed a video, but alas. Try putting some 42 Strand wires on your 13x3 brass. That would be very, very loud.

EDIT: I remember my old band telling me not to hit rimshots. Proudest moment of my drumming life.

I think it's only drummers who find that funny though =]
Everytime I play a rimshot (even when it is appropriate), my whole band just turn round and stare at me. Its great fun! And to be fair, we don't get annoyed when guitarists play pinch harmonics so I guess us drummers are just more laid back.

Guitarists can turn up to 11 though... apparently.

that's deffinately my next purchace, some new wires for my 14" x 3.5"... I put the maple back in it last night, so it's a little softer, until it gets cranked again, then the thickness & density of the wood really makes the sound project haha

Back on topic tho... I must start using my plugs again... at some point... soon... maybe

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
Guitarists can turn up to 11 though... apparently.

but only if you're a member of spinal tap though...

haha yeah... Just gives us an excuse to play that bit louder though doesnt it ;)
There is no sound that a good instrument can make that annoys me. If it was coming from some guitar that sounded cringe-worthy however, that would be a different matter...

it's funny, after a couple of years of trying to find the right earplugs I've just gone back to straight forward foam ones!

I did like the etmoyotic research ones, they're good. I wasn't impresed with Proplugs to be honest - I found them quite uncomfortable. I think at the end of the day if I'm doing quieter work I don't use any, if it's really loud I stuff foam ones in, and anything in between I just put foam ones in fairly lightly.

I'm sure this is in a different thread, but the best earplugs I've found are actually the shure ec2 isolation earphones I use with click/backing tracks. They actually work very well just as earplugs (although you look a bit silly with nothing plugged in!).

Martin

Sesh, that's very interesting. You found them uncomfortable? Well I suppose everybody has different shaped ears (mine never accept bud ear phones for instance). Are you sure you were using the right size? I'm just interested, mine are ridiculously comfortable.

For playing along to a click track/music I just use some cheap Maxell imitations. Cost me £5 and they work pretty well. I just want something a little more practical and effective. Nobody I know finds my earbud headphones comfortable, but I think they're great. They don't feel like they're gonna fall out like normal headphones. For loud practices I just use cotton wool at the moment, so I'm sure pro plugs will be an improvement where comfort is concerned. To be honest it doesnt even work that well... =(

MFB,

yeah - everyone else I know loves them too. I'm pretty sure they were the right size, I think it's me - the pointy bit that sits outside just annoyed me, and one ear tende to work it's way out. I think I've one ear different to the other!

As I say though, everyone else I know loves them so I'm pretty sure it's me.

Martin

Sesh said:
I'm sure this is in a different thread, but the best earplugs I've found are actually the shure ec2 isolation earphones I use with click/backing tracks. They actually work very well just as earplugs (although you look a bit silly with nothing plugged in!).

Well I'm definately looking in to getting a pair of those, just what I need for listening to pre programmed sequences (by myself) for playing back with the band, thanks for the info Sesh

XeroX,

Cheap earbuds do work pretty well - the cool thing about isolation earphones is that they cancel out most eternal noise, like an earplug, and inject the click or whatever right into ear. That basically means you can have the volume right down on the backing track and get a really nice mix without blasting your ears. I used to just use headphones, but I always found I had the volume right up = which isn't good for you, and gives a pretty difficult mix.

Anyhow, if any of you guys ever get into much backing track work or whatever I'd check out the ec2's - they're only about £60.

Martin

I meant I use cheap isolation earbuds. Imitations of the shures that you use. I hate normal earphones cos they feel really lose and you have to turn them right up to hear them - and even then the sound quality isnt as good. I had some good philips isolation headphones, but one of them cut out so i ripped it off and bought new (cheap maxell) ones. If I had £60 to spend on headphones I'd probably go for the EC2s, but as it stands I only ever have about £6 to spend on headphones and occassionally get lucky like I did with the £30 philips ones I got for £9.99.

Jay.B, glad I could help - they are fantastic - and a very good cheap alternative to the £300 molded ones shure do. They come with about 10 different alternative inserts (different sizes and materials) so they should fit and suit everyone.

I should be a shure endorsee....I hope someones listening!

Martin

got a couple of pairs on my ebay watch list now

thanks again, I was either using a full monitor setup, which meant the audience could hear the click count in haha or a pair of senheiser headphones I still have from my DJing days haha so these will make a great professional looking and sounding alternative :)

Back