Speaking of DIY solutions....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So, I just picked up a nice Pearl H-900 hi-hat stand to replace my aging Tama Stage Master HH stand. Love the big feet on the Pearl and it has a lovely feel.

However, being as short as I am, I now have a hi-hat pull rod that's too tall. I can certainly live with it tall, but I wouldn't mind cutting off about 4-5 inches of it.

Question: is there a tool that you can use to round the tip of the rod after you've hacksawed it to the desired length? Or am I stuck with a Dremel and a grinding head to do it by hand?

i used a bench grinder to round mine off then a bit of fine grit sandpaper to get it nice and smooth. but i dont know of any specific tool that would round an end like that.

a grinder would work..and you can even use a cheap hand held angle grinder from home depot for about $30...or better yet if you cant borrow one you could always rent from depot or other for around 10-15 for 4 hours. you can use it 1st to cut it then 2nd to shape it... wear safety glasses of course...worse case you can always find some kind of plastice/rubber cap to put over your cut if the shaping doesnt turn out the way you wanted.

I just used 2 metal files. One course, and one fine.

I think there is a very small cup grinder in the Dremel accessory line up. I know they have them for rounding off dowels but not so sure about one that small for metal.

Clear lacquer or nail polish the tip and it won't rust since the chrome will be gone off the tip.

Pearl makes a "short" pull rod, iirc its 3" shorter. I ordered one for my elim. at GC for like $6 i think.

Back