Where can I get drumhead tension screws?

cky42091

I'm selling a snare and the screws are mismatched. I'd like to put some new ones on without having to shell out too much money, or wait a week for them to be shipped.

I was just going to go to the hardware store, then I realized that they need to be fitted to a drum key, and they probably don't have anything like that in the store. Have you guys found any place that has these or do I have to order them? This is becoming a major inconvenience..

There are tons of them on eBay, if you do eBay. Search on tension rods, rather than screws. What brand is the drum? Some, such as DW, have unusual diameter rods, so be aware of that. Most of the others take standard diameter rods. You also need to know the length of the rods you need.

They are called tension rods,not screws and unless the drum is DW,or something vintage or exotic,the thread size should be 12/24.The length depends on the size of the drum,and the length of the lug.Average is around 2 3/4 to 2 1/2 " in length for a 5 to 5.5 snare.:)

Steve B

Last edited:
How are tension rods measured? It appears the most frequently bought is 1.5 inches. Is that just the length of the threads, or does that include the square top?

That measurement is from under the head to the tip of the rod.Some may disagree,but the companies that manufacture tension rods say that that's the correct way.Check out tightscrew.com.:)

Steve B

Back