Compliments to the drummer

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
What are some of the best compliments you've received as a drummer?

That would be from a vocalist/guitarist that has been playing with lots of professional drummers, he has said a couple of times that I'm musical, an that I just don't play what everybody are expecting, instead I try to do something that contributes to the music. Feels pretty good coming from him, knowing myself that I'm not the greatest/most technical drummer (to say the least).

I kind of block them out and don't really take them seriously-- I'm just glad when people want to play with me, and when an audience shows up to hear my group. Maybe: A bassist friend who has played a lot with Jorge Rossy, and a lot of heavy New York people drops, hints here and there that he likes my playing. My brother told me Gregg Keplinger was making everyone listen to a drum solo piece on one of my albums, and he's a heavy MFer. It was cool to play a session with Bob Mover, a veteran saxophonist from NYC who has played with everybody, including Mingus, and have him say "This is as good as anything happening in New York." Oh, the pianist Andrew Hill once said something nice to me about my playing.

"Hey man, that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be!"

"My wife loves your voice"

"Nice kit"

Maybe I am missing something here??

From more than a few band leaders: "I don't have to think about you"

I have I guess I can call them fans, 2 whole fans, because every time I see them they always comment on how I'm the most musical drummer they know. That feels nice.

But the ones that mean the most to me are the 2 compliments I got from my bandleader. Two times in 6 years lol. One I overheard, he was talking to someone who was complimenting the band just as we were walking offstage, and he said, "yea I love the way my band feels music". He was referring to me mainly because I constantly hear how he is not happy with the bass player...on many fronts. That meant a lot to me, overhearing that, like it was a confirmation to just keep doing what I feel.

The other he said to me in the course of a conversation after a gig. We were just talking about this and that and at one point he said that when I'm on, I don't play 2nd fiddle to anyone. Yikes. That meant a lot to me, considering his resume. I feel the same plus more about him. So I feel we have a really strong musical bond. I believe we deserve each other.

Here's something odd, about a year before Don asked me to play in his band, he called me and asked me if I knew where my son was. What? I don't even know that I ever mentioned to him that I had a son. We were not really friends at that point, I just saw him at the jams I attended.

LSS, we both have sons who are close to the same age, and they found each other all on their own and became friends without our knowledge. So my son was hanging out with Don's son at Don's house, and Don overheard my son talking about how his Dad plays the drums. So one thing led to another, and Don realized that he had my son Rory at his house. Which prompted that odd phone call. So we have a connection that goes even deeper than music.

But yea compliments. They sure do feel nice.

I was at a gas station in my beat up Pinto hatchback back in the day and somebody recognized me as I was pumping gas.

He went back to his truck to show me a broken drumstick I had autographed for him a while back.

That was probably the best compliment I ever received.

"I can't f$&#in stand the music you guys play but man, you're really really good at it."

"You look like you know what you're doing up there"

wow man nice car (1963 impala s.s. convertible) and you play the drums purty good too!

I was once nicknamed the chameleon drummer during a studio session because of how quickly I could adapt to the changes they wanted to make.

I've had a few of random people ask if I'm the drummer when I'm outside my house, who then proceed to say some very nice things about my playing. That's always nice :)

I was told by Gil Orr of the Chantays (yeah, sthey're still around) that I was the most sensitive drummer that he's played with. Ii took that to mean that I'm a good listener.

"At last - a drummer who listens!" (I had to; I'd never heard the song before.)

My jazz band leader told me that I'm a good fit for the band. That may not sound much, but the rest of them are outstanding musicians and I'd been worried that I was bringing up the rear by some considerable distance. Needless to say, that had a very positive effect on my playing, my confidence, and my perception of myself.

However, my absolute favourite, which I repeat to anybody who'll listen, was "If I hadn't seen you play, I wouldn't have known you weren't a man." You couldn't make it up, could you?

"You're like a captain going solemnly down with his ship"

The one our reputations demand as drummers would be "hey big boy, wanna go outside for a few minutes?"

But in reality, my fave compliment was
"You have to be my drummer."

Another great compliment: "I've never heard a drummer play that, except on the record."

Back