DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:49 AM

Default Lessons in New York Urgent!!!

I am going on vacation and i will be in New York from Agust 22-26 and i want to take some lessons with some really good teachers in the area, like dom famularo, joe morello, etc. but i am not sure who else is in the area that is worth taking lessons with any suggestions, would be really helpful thanks alot.
Peace
Old 08-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Lessons in New York Urgent!!!

Look for Ken Marino. He s a member here- Delta drummer. Or you could go with the "Pro-fessor" Jeff Indyke. Look around here, you ll find what you re looking for.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

Other than the ones were mentioned already (Morello, Famularo, Marino) there is:

Pat Petrillo
Phil Maturano
Kim Plainfield
The rest of the Drummer's Collective faculty
Mike Clark
John Favicchia
Jim Payne
Matt Ritter
Vince Cherico
Adriano Santos
Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Billy Ward?

Bernhard
Old 08-14-2008, 01:04 PM

I know Pat Petrillo teaches at Drummers Collective in New York City. I'm sure that it would be very worthwhile. It would probably be a really great place to go and hang. Lucky you! Good Luck.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Senior Consultant

Go to dom famularo's website and set up a lesson with him. You will thank me later.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:06 PM
percusboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicebox View Post
I am going on vacation and i will be in New York from Agust 22-26 and i want to take some lessons with some really good teachers in the area, like dom famularo, joe morello, etc. but i am not sure who else is in the area that is worth taking lessons with any suggestions, would be really helpful thanks alot.
Peace
Tommy Igoe if you can do it but last I heard his waiting list is months long. At the very least, go to Birdland to see his band on Friday. Unbelievable.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdirtRider856 View Post
Look for Ken Marino. He s a member here- Delta drummer. Or you could go with the "Pro-fessor" Jeff Indyke. Look around here, you ll find what you re looking for.
Thanks for the recommendation. It is an honor to be listed along with all these other great drummers/teachers. If you teach in NY like I do, you can see how steep the competition really is just by taking a look at Jeff's list. :)

There are also John Riley, Frank Bellucci, Rod Morganstern, Bobby Rondinelli.

I thought Matt Ritter lived on the west coast. I may have to check him out.:)
Old 08-15-2008, 02:55 AM

Thank you all so much for the sugggestions i will definatley check out drummers collective, alot of the teachers i look at their prices are high so unfortunatley ill have to choose wisley, i am thinking of going with dom for sure and i want to check out phil maturano for the latin.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

I really wouldn't pass up the chance to learn with Joe Morello if I were you.

He's a master technician and a jazz drumming legend in his own right, and given his current age, there isn't going to be a long window of opportunity compared to some of the drummers that you might want to see.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:36 AM
percusboy

Quote:
Thank you all so much for the sugggestions i will definatley check out drummers collective, alot of the teachers i look at their prices are high so unfortunatley ill have to choose wisley, i am thinking of going with dom for sure and i want to check out phil maturano for the latin.
No problems, and good luck. Are you going to birdland tomorrow? Maybe we can catch a drink at the bar if you go. I'll be there for sure.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Not every teacher will be great for a 'one off' lesson so be careful.

Dom is great for a one off. You can book a couple of hours with him and get a lot done. I've never studied with Phil; but I would imagine he would be the same way and give you a lot of stuff to take home.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:43 AM
Silver Member

Tommy Igoe is 5 or so miles west of the GW Bridge in NJ.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM

I have taken "one off" lessons with Pat Petrillo, and it was awesome. We worked on everything from hand technique to roots grooves, and cool fill concepts. He's very energetic and will give you a great work out and honest evaluation..Playing together with him was a revelation, and it helped with my feel alot.

J.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions, i ve cut it down to dom, joe morello (like michael g said, given his age), phil maturano and pat petrillo, i understand that one off lessons might not work with alot of teachers so,i hope i can get my moneys worth.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you all for the suggestions, i ve cut it down to dom, joe morello (like michael g said, given his age), phil maturano and pat petrillo, i understand that one off lessons might not work with alot of teachers so,i hope i can get my moneys worth.
I think you made great choices. I wish I were a fly on the wall. If you want to share some of what you learned, I am always ready to be a sponge.:)
Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 AM

Im back finally, i had a great time in new york saw 2 musicals (the lion king and chicago) both great. I took 2 lessons while i was in new york one with Pat Petrillo and one with
Marko Djordjevic, with marko we work on poly rythm concepts and odd time signature concepts wich is really fun, but hard to get your head around sometimes. With Pat we started with working on grooves from his book, really inspiring me to work on my groove and then we work on hands and learned a bit about his tab formula which is amazing, i am very glad i took classes from these teacher. Unfortunatley i didnt have enough time to go to get a lesson with morello and Dom was book all that week, but i plan to go to new york as soon as possible