johnfredrickson

Hey,
I'm looking for a very punchy, deep, bass drum sound, with no sustain. I've decided on the clear Evans EMAD for the batter side (I don't like having to use internal muffling), but I don't know what to get on the resonant side. I really like the sound of Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan's bass drum, but I read that his bass reso head was an Evans Resonant Black, which is supposed to have full sustain.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hey,
I'm looking for a very punchy, deep, bass drum sound, with no sustain. I've decided on the clear Evans EMAD for the batter side (I don't like having to use internal muffling), but I don't know what to get on the resonant side. I really like the sound of Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan's bass drum, but I read that his bass reso head was an Evans Resonant Black, which is supposed to have full sustain.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

If your reso doesn't have a ported hole in it, I would recommend trying a 2" strip of felt on the inside all the way across. This is what I've found to work the best for my 20x22 at the moment. No muffeling on inside and using EMAD with the large dampening ring.

You simply can't compare the acoustic sound of a drum to a recorded sound, especially a sound like that. You can't assume that if you use the same heads as a certain drummer you'll get the same sound.

To approximate the sound you describe, I would second the EMAD reso, OR muffling another type of head.

Back