super kick I vs. superkick II

Jon B

Hi! Basically I was wondering what the difference in the two is. I know that one is single ply and the other is double, but what about other factors? Do they sound different? Can the 2 ply go lower? Is there a difference in feel? Which has a punchier, "tighter" sound? Which has a more open, boomy, resonant sound? I currently use a sk1, and I started wondering if I would like a sk2 better. Any kind of comparing is nice.

On a side note, what would the new sk10 sound/feel like? Anyone tried it?

If you really like the sk1 you probably wont like the sk2 as much, the sk1 is fuller and has a more focused attack, the sk2 is deader and more muffled as all 2 plys are imo. The whole deeper sounding thing from 2 ply heads is an illusion as the 2 ply removes some of the higher frequencies giving making it sound deeper an deader, once miked and run thru the board they can both sound as deep but the sk1 will be fuller imo. BTW are you using a regulator front head if not I recommend you try one, hope this helped.

i have a muffled regulator as the reso with a 4(?) inch port. Its really nice with the sk1, but maybe a little too ringy/ boomy, would the sk2 fix that? i also have a 6(?) inch ported remo ebony powerstroke three reso (pretty sure thats what it is) and it has too little ring with the sk1, and idea where to find the happy medium?

i have a muffled regulator as the reso with a 4(?) inch port. Its really nice with the sk1, but maybe a little too ringy/ boomy, would the sk2 fix that? i also have a 6(?) inch ported remo ebony powerstroke three reso (pretty sure thats what it is) and it has too little ring with the sk1, and idea where to find the happy medium?

If the sk1 and ported regulator combo is too ringy/boomy I am going say you may have one or the other a bit too tight. I would try tuning JAW on both heads and then take it up a bit from there till you get the resonance you want/need.

the sk2 is deader and more muffled as all 2 plys are imo. The whole deeper sounding thing from 2 ply heads is an illusion as the 2 ply removes some of the higher frequencies giving making it sound deeper an deader, .

I agree with you totally here. I tried an SK2, as everybody raves about it, but I was very dissappointed with the dead thud from this head. I know its popular but I don't quite get why. I'm much, much happier with the PS3.

To the post, I would simply stick with SK1 if you like it, or if you want to try a new 2 ply head, an EMAD2 or EQ4. good luck.

I agree with you totally here. I tried an SK2, as everybody raves about it, but I was very dissappointed with the dead thud from this head. I know its popular but I don't quite get why. I'm much, much happier with the PS3.

To the post, I would simply stick with SK1 if you like it, or if you want to try a new 2 ply head, an EMAD2 or EQ4. good luck.

I personally dont care for any 2 ply heads on anything no matter who makes them, just too muffled and dead for my taste especially from the audience point of view.

sounds like the consensus is stick with the sk1
il mess around with the tuning with the regulator, thanks guys

I went from a Super-Kick II to the Super-Kick I and found that the I gave the perfect amount of attack and tone (with a nylon patch) whereas the II sounded much more like I'd stuffed my bass drum full of blankets.
If there's too much ring I'd try resting a pillow ever so slightly against the reso head with the batter tuned just above the wrinkles.

I have an sk1 on my 20" rogers and an sk2 on my 22 Eames kick.The sk 1 has a little more click in the attack ,In my exp there is not a whole lot of difference,esp after I put a mole skin patch on the sk1. One thing I noticed with either sk is that I had to tune the sk higher than a powerstroke head to get it to open up,at jaw tunings it was to dead for my liking.

Back