Remo Black suede

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
So these are some heads I'm interested in trying out. The ad I found them in mentioned something about jazz, and with me being the kind of guy that likes to put things in places where they wouldn't normally work, I wanted to try them out in my own genre.

That, and they're black. Which looks amazing.

So anyone have any experience with Black suede? Are they worth the upgrade?

I was interested in them also and was actaully wondering that too. I liked them because they were said to have a sound in between clear and coated. I have only heard them in guitar center and i wasn't playing them and couldn't really compare them to any other heads (plus the fact that since i have never heard the sound of the set before either i could'nt really judge the heads). But we used the black suede heads on the tenors at my high school drumline and they sounded really good. Then again that was a entirely different drum and i don't know how they would sound on a drum kit.

A drum tech friend of mine says they're a great head i'm switching too them from clear emperor's..........Black Suede Emperor's by the way.

Bonzolead

Last edited:
I was interested in them also and was actaully wondering that too. I liked them because they were said to have a sound in between clear and coated. I have only heard them in guitar center and i wasn't playing them and couldn't really compare them to any other heads (plus the fact that since i have never heard the sound of the set before either i could'nt really judge the heads). But we used the black suede heads on the tenors at my high school drumline and they sounded really good. Then again that was a entirely different drum and i don't know how they would sound on a drum kit.

inbetween clear and coated you say? huh, i was under the impression they were more on the warmer and deeper side then your regular coated heads. i was planning on trying a few in the next week or 2 but i might have to rethink that if they are indeed brighter then coated heads....

Well, yes and no. I tried a Black Suede Emeperor on my Mapex Saturn 16" a month ago.

In all honesty, the best way to summarize it is this: Take the articulated attack of coated and add a little brightness. Take out almost all the middle frequencies. Add in the sustain of clear, temper it a bit and deepen it alot. This is the Black Suede in a nutshell: Strong defined attack with deep sustain. And because of this, it's quite nice sounding, controlled without being muffled. It does what the Pinstripe *SHOULD* do but doesn't. :)

To the OP, I'd buy two at most: one for a rack tom, one for a floor tom. Tune them up, see how they sound. It'll likely give rack toms a deeper tone and give floor toms a more defined attack, thus balancing the kit. And FYI, I'm thinking about switching over to them as soon as I find a dealer with the regular white suedes in stock.

Here's a good video that's pretty close to the actual sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cBB7tl4Spg

Well, yes and no. I tried a Black Suede Emeperor on my Mapex Saturn 16" a month ago.

In all honesty, the best way to summarize it is this: Take the articulated attack of coated and add a little brightness. Take out almost all the middle frequencies. Add in the sustain of clear, temper it a bit and deepen it alot. This is the Black Suede in a nutshell: Strong defined attack with deep sustain. And because of this, it's quite nice sounding, controlled without being muffled. It does what the Pinstripe *SHOULD* do but doesn't. :)

To the OP, I'd buy two at most: one for a rack tom, one for a floor tom. Tune them up, see how they sound. It'll likely give rack toms a deeper tone and give floor toms a more defined attack, thus balancing the kit. And FYI, I'm thinking about switching over to them as soon as I find a dealer with the regular white suedes in stock.

Here's a good video that's pretty close to the actual sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cBB7tl4Spg

You sound just like the drum tech I talked too, I'm putting them on a old school Yamaha "Tour Custom" kit 12 x 10 tom & 16 x 16 floor-tom & 24 x 16 bass-drum, they have that deep 80's drum tone anyway & the kit is Black it's kinda my "Biker-Club" kit LOL. I'm putting a PS3 on the bass & emperor's on the tom & floor-tom.

So i'm thinking the Black Suedes are the best of both worlds for this kit,
Great looks,great sound.

There is something just cool about Black & Chrome.

Thanks for the input,
Bonzolead

Back