Making Drum Covers

SweetRide

Wasn't sure where to put this. Sorry if i put it in the wrong place.

Im curious, when you make a drum cover, how do you do it? Are you recording your drums directly over the audio? Are you recording your drums then syncing it up? Then afterwards are you trying your best to sync up the audio with the video? Also, with covers like cobus's, where the person isnt playing the exact drums on the track, it seems like they removed the original drums somehow?

I just started some rough recordings for covers on Youtube today, actually! I tried quite a few different methods, and my favorite (not the easiest, but sounds best) is to record the audio/video apart from the track, then sync them. What I did:

Run drum mics into the soundboard, and EQ there. The soundboard then has an output that runs into the camera's input. That makes sure audio/video are synced and working together. After recording, I sync it to the original track.

As far as how Cobus does it, I'm not sure. I honestly (after playing around with the original track some) made it sound right. I think once your drums go over it, they'll dominate the original drum track and make it almost unnoticeable, especially if you're just adding little fills, etc.

Hope that helps a little!! (and I'll have the vids up as soon as the mastering/after effects are done, links to follow)

Back