The New Breed... anyone done the WHOLE thing?

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
As of right now, this is my new drumming goal, haha. I want to play EVERY combination in that book. It will serve as my groove and coordination practice for the next year or so. My question is, has anyone else here done this? I know a lot of people talk about the New Breed, but who has done the whole book? I'm just curious :D

With one hand?!? It's a four-way coordination book! :)

I've done the first system... at 60bpm :|

I pop in and out of it all the time

for some reason I have a hard time staying interested in it and find myself doing it just to do it

a lot of it just seems impractical to me.

I've definitely taken things from it and it's obviously a fantastic book, but it just doesn't tickle the creative nerve in me the way some other books do

that being said...it's always on my music stand

I went through the whole book as per Chester's instructions (singing the click track and each limb's part separately, not moving on before playing the whole two-page thing without making mistakes etc). I didn't have any tempo goals but I remeber that depending on the system, I used to practice at 50-80 bpm.

It was also a goal I set for myself and the first run took approx. one year. I kept a log of course which promoted a sense of accomplishment every time I "completed" a system. Afterwards I feel like I could've spent all those hours on something more practical but it definitely made my overall groove playing and timing more solid. And strengthened the HH foot.

With one hand?!? It's a four-way coordination book! :)

I've done the first system... at 60bpm :|

I'm using my left hand now ;) Its painful, but its worth it! I'm doing the first system at 200 bpm already, haha :D

I pop in and out of it all the time

for some reason I have a hard time staying interested in it and find myself doing it just to do it

a lot of it just seems impractical to me.

I've definitely taken things from it and it's obviously a fantastic book, but it just doesn't tickle the creative nerve in me the way some other books do

that being said...it's always on my music stand

I can understand not wanting to do it all, but I don't think any of it is really impractical. All of the coordinations and rhythms in there could be used in musical expression pretty effectively, and it definitely gives you a big vocabulary! But yeah, for the most part, you're not going to use a lot of it specifically. I guess it also depends on what styles of music you play, my overarching goal is to be able to play EVERYTHING, so I'll probably use more of it than most people would!

I went through the whole book as per Chester's instructions (singing the click track and each limb's part separately, not moving on before playing the whole two-page thing without making mistakes etc). I didn't have any tempo goals but I remeber that depending on the system, I used to practice at 50-80 bpm.

It was also a goal I set for myself and the first run took approx. one year. I kept a log of course which promoted a sense of accomplishment every time I "completed" a system. Afterwards I feel like I could've spent all those hours on something more practical but it definitely made my overall groove playing and timing more solid. And strengthened the HH foot.

Awesome! I honestly didn't expect to hear that anyone had done it, haha. Its a pretty monumental task. I'm keeping a log too, it also makes it harder to make excuses ;) As far as how useful the time spent is... I don't know, it honestly feels more useful to me than any other practicing I've done recently. After I finish an hour of that book, I'm on the top of the world. I can FEEL the improvement, haha. So for me, I can't think of anything more practical to work on.

As of right now, this is my new drumming goal, haha. I want to play EVERY combination in that book. It will serve as my groove and coordination practice for the next year or so. My question is, has anyone else here done this? I know a lot of people talk about the New Breed, but who has done the whole book? I'm just curious :D

I must admit that I have. I worked out of it for a few years. I also did most of New Breed Book 2 (same idea as first book). I went back and applied many of the same concepts to Syncopation as well.

It certainly helps the independence thing.

Isn't system 1 one-handed 16th notes on the ride, with the right foot playing the melody? You're doing one-handed 16ths at 200? and 5+ one-footed 16ths (the last melody)? yikes.

Isn't system 1 one-handed 16th notes on the ride, with the right foot playing the melody? You're doing one-handed 16ths at 200? and 5+ one-footed 16ths (the last melody)? yikes.

Yup, you're right, I'm retarded, haha. I'm playing 16th notes at 100BPM, not 200 :p I'm used to describing a tempo in terms of the 8th notes, when I blast, haha.

After I finish an hour of that book, I'm on the top of the world. I can FEEL the improvement, haha. So for me, I can't think of anything more practical to work on.

that right there is why we do this

keep at it and keep getting those feelings

your reward at the end will be fulfillment and the ability to express yourself using all that amazing vocabulary

hope your collar is feeling better

Awesome! I honestly didn't expect to hear that anyone had done it, haha. Its a pretty monumental task. I'm keeping a log too, it also makes it harder to make excuses ;) As far as how useful the time spent is... I don't know, it honestly feels more useful to me than any other practicing I've done recently. After I finish an hour of that book, I'm on the top of the world. I can FEEL the improvement, haha. So for me, I can't think of anything more practical to work on.

Sounds good man. An hour a day is probably a good pace - I totally overdid the whole thing, sometimes practicing only New Breed up to 5 hours a day... That way I completed the project in a year, but I feel like I would've gotten more out of the book if I had a been a bit more patient with it.

I still use the text pages quite often and it would actually be quite interesting to start practicing the systems all over again now that a couple of years have passed. It's actually a fantastic book as long as you remember to practice smart and have a balanced practice routine.

But yeah, definitely doable so go ahead and do the whole thing even if it takes a couple of years :)

that right there is why we do this

keep at it and keep getting those feelings

your reward at the end will be fulfillment and the ability to express yourself using all that amazing vocabulary

hope your collar is feeling better

Exactly, its extremely fulfilling, I love it! Thanks for the kind words, my collarbone is finally starting to heal up.

Sounds good man. An hour a day is probably a good pace - I totally overdid the whole thing, sometimes practicing only New Breed up to 5 hours a day... That way I completed the project in a year, but I feel like I would've gotten more out of the book if I had a been a bit more patient with it.

I still use the text pages quite often and it would actually be quite interesting to start practicing the systems all over again now that a couple of years have passed. It's actually a fantastic book as long as you remember to practice smart and have a balanced practice routine.

But yeah, definitely doable so go ahead and do the whole thing even if it takes a couple of years :)

Yeah, I try to keep it reasonable! I find that more than an hour or two of practice at a time isn't really useful, haha.

I haven't seen this book!

I love the new breed drummers and i dabble in and out of this stuff all the time. It's mire an ego thing though.

That Thomas Lang dvd creative control is great for learning these excersises but in the whole 4 hours or however long it's on he doesn't play one good beat, one decent groove. All that technique and he doesn't show you how to apply it to the kit at all so it's hard for this stuff to stay top of my practise priorities. I'll often practise somethibg that has similar concepts but in groove form or for a ridiculous midi backing track I've made to test myself.
Was anyone else a bit disappointed with that dvd?

I've glossed over it and talked about it with my teacher but I haven't done any serious work with it yet. I'm saving it for the summer, when I have some free time, right now I don't really have time to add it to my practice routine. However I am practicing Alan Dawson's 4 way coordination ideas, they're awesome exercises imo and can get stupidly hard, I think you would enjoy working with them!

Back