Measures and Rudiments

Tonico

Hey guys,

I was wondering how you guys split up practicing your rudiments. By that I mean: How many measures do you play of a rudiment before taking a break, or resting? (And by resting I mean resting for a measure or two, not putting your sticks down and going to get a glass of water). Or, do you just play straight through and not really pay much attention to how many measures you're playing of a rudiment?

I myself have found that practicing straight through with a metronome becomes monotonous and taking a break helps me to really learn and internalize the rudiment.

Feedback, or comments would be great.

Take Care
-Tony

What rudiments are you practicing? It also depends what your practicing. Are you reading or just playing rudiments? From what you wrote, it sounds like you're just practicing rudiments? I'm just guessing from what you've written but use rests other then quarter rests between the rudiments. Get away from practicing everything starting or ending on the count.

Consider playing with written music. Intrepret what's written. Turn 4, 16ths into a paradiddle, or whatever. This is a great thing about playing with a drum line. How are you going to intrepret what's written, and then everyone play the same thing together. When you get a piece of music, it seldom indentifies play this or that. You interpret. Years ago, I started with Haskell Harr's books and after going through beginning, intermediate and advanced books and supplementary books, we were taken back to the beginning books and it became all about now interpreting different stickings. I still do it on accasion. It's good exercise.

By that I mean: How many measures do you play of a rudiment before taking a break, or resting?
-Tony
If I want to practise e.g the single paradiddle or the rattamacue or whatever I turn on the radio, and play this rudiment repeatedly along to the random upcoming music, and give a s*t about the song or what the drummer of that song plays..this means 4 minutes of practising the rudiment in time, metronomewise, and also listen to how it sometimes fits the song or sometimes does not..such getting a feel of how to use the rudiment on the drumkit, starting randomly on the downbeat or on the upbeat or whatever..just messing with it while practising along to any music

If I want to practise e.g the single paradiddle or the rattamacue or whatever I turn on the radio, and play this rudiment repeatedly along to the random upcoming music, and give a s*t about the song or what the drummer of that song plays..this means 4 minutes of practising the rudiment in time, metronomewise, and also listen to how it sometimes fits the song or sometimes does not..such getting a feel of how to use the rudiment on the drumkit, starting randomly on the downbeat or on the upbeat or whatever..just messing with it while practising along to any music

Interesting idea, good on you sir.

Excellent idea! I don't count measures but usually try to do 3 or 5 min. of a particular rudiment as part of warm up. Playing to music unstead of metronome will make the whole process much more enjoyable I think. Thanks!

I like that idea. I was practicing paradiddles one time while the Whether Channel was on. When they wen tto the local forcast, which is always done to music, and this time a nice 4/4 tune was playing, I started to adjust my paradiddle to the time of the music. It is a great idea. Starting to incorperate other rudiments and some other exercises in that fashion, to different forms of music.

Hey guys,

By that I mean: How many measures do you play of a rudiment before taking a break, or resting? (And by resting I mean resting for a measure or two, not putting your sticks down and going to get a glass of water). God, it could be hours.

Or, do you just play straight through and not really pay much attention to how many measures you're playing of a rudiment? I do not limit myself. I do what it takes. I'll practice all day if I have time. I love rudiments. The feel of the sticks moving in my hands is something I adore.

I myself have found that practicing straight through with a metronome becomes monotonous and taking a break helps me to really learn and internalize the rudiment. Nothing wrong with that.

Feedback, or comments would be great.

Take Care
-Tony

Comments above in red.

Back