RINGO Peace & Love PHOTOS!!

barryabko

Hi All,

I went to the Ringo Peace & Love exhibit at the Grammy Foundation preview yesterday. I had a blast! I think it is a terrific exhibit that appeals to Ringo fans, Beatles fans and drummers alike.

Here is a link to the official exhibit site: http://www.grammymuseum.org/on-display/special-exhibits/ringo-peace-love

The exhibit consists of drums, clothing, Ringo's personal photos, original and reproduction items, some of Ringo's photographs (he was an avid photographer) and artwork, video displays, interactive displays, famous musician's quotes about Ringo printed on drum heads wall mounted on half drum shells, and much more. Oyster Black Pearl and bright psychedelic colors were the themes.

We were among the first to view the exhibit which gave me the opportunity to take some photos. Unfortunately, my iPhone 4S had some technical issues going on so some of my photos could not be used. I have included the best photos of the group.

The first drum kit you see is downstairs in the lobby. It is a Japanese reproduction of the OBP kit used by Ringo on the Beatles' last Japanese tour. Era correct reproductions of amps and guitars accompany the drums. Lithographed, numbered and signed artwork by Ringo was available for purchase. I believe Gallery 319 (www.gallery-319.com) is handling those sales.

The main exhibit takes up the entire second floor open area with one of Ringo's All Star Band kits up front. A video screen with modern Ringo concert footage plays on the wall.

Ringo's history is described on wall displays accompanied by photos and paperwork (contracts, receipts, etc.). A reproduction of a root beer swirl Premier floor tom and reproductions of various drum heads and some other items are next. The original gold-plated Ludwig Super Sensitive snare is among the items!

The most famous drum set in the world (from the first Ed Sullivan appearance) is set up on a riser behind plexiglas on the main wall. The Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl kit looked very clean and was set up as Ringo preferred along with cymbals, stands and hardware. The descriptor on the display seemed to indicate that all of the parts are the originals owned by Ringo. The cymbals looked like vintage A. Zildjian crash and hi hats but the crash/ride did not look like Zildjian lathing to me. Possibly Paiste? I could not see the tops of any of the cymbals except for the hi hats. See the photos below.

Another section had the natural maple Ludwig Hollywood kit (from Let It Be) on a riser behind plexiglas. It had an OBP snare covered with a tea towel. The descriptor seemed to indicate that the drums were owned by Ringo but the cymbals were on loan from Gary Astridge from www.ringosbeatleskits.com. All of these cymbals looked like vintage A. Zildjians. Maybe Gary can verify what each cymbal on display is and whether they are Ringo’s or loaners.

I hope you enjoy my photos and descriptions. Let me know if you have any questions.

Barry

Here we go...

The most famous drum kit in the world used in the first Ed Sullivan appearance:
49026042-3e34-4fe3-9050-7fc1f846a9f9_zps1e3918c4.jpg

The happiest drummer at the exhibit! Me!
IMG_0104_zps4166d889.jpg

The descriptor on the OBP kit. They were hard to read and hard to photograph:
OBP1_zps719baece.jpg

Every drummer's fantasy purchase:
OBP2_zps6e9c6568.jpg

The snare from the OBP kit. Ringo brought this from England for the first Ed Sullivan appearance. The lug distance between the top and bottom hoops is not even:
OBP10_zps3f9b3bfd.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:
The mounted tom looked to be in excellent condition:
OBP8_zps626dd821.jpg

The floor tom:
OBP9_zps454c6c5e.jpg

Bass drum with Rogers mount also looked to be in very good condition:
OBP6_zpsbe5b9b4a.jpg

Bass drum anchor:
OBP7_zpsdfa9bc08.jpg

OBP4_zps235d20ef.jpg

continued...

OBP5_zpsb964c954.jpg

The OBP crash/ride. That doesn't look like Zildjian lathing to me. Is it Paiste?
OBP13_zps366983a5.jpg

The natural maple Hollywood kit from Let It Be:
HNM2_zpsbfc4c022.jpg

HNM3_zpsa48db5e5.jpg

The view from Ringo's driver's seat:
HNM7_zps7747f5ac.jpg

Hollywood kit descriptor:
HNM1_zps641ab699.jpg

continued...

HNM5_zps720e7408.jpg

Gold plated Super Sensitive snare:
GSS2_zps35e45d5f.jpg

It seems to have had some playing time:
GSS1_zps04346f11.jpg

The drum from the cover of Sgt. Peppers was hanging over the crowd. So cool!!
IMG_0113_zps54a8f7bd.jpg

Here I am playing an OBP kit along with Ringo! Well...actually, it's an electronic DW kit with Roland e-cymbals.
It's an interactive display where you can choose three different short "lessons" with Ringo.
He is on the screen playing his signature beats and you can play along. Fun!
(BTW - Check out the DW snare stand basket holding up the video monitor.)
IMG_0131_zps4b00f4c9.jpg

Okay, that's it for the photos. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Barry

Last edited:
What's that brass knuckles looking device at the foot of the first bass drum? Is that a drum key?

What's that brass knuckles looking device at the foot of the first bass drum? Is that a drum key?

It's a stage screw. It was added by a stagehand on the Ed Sullivan Show to help ensure that the kick wouldn't get pushed off of that huge drum riser. It's not screwed into the drum at all, just gives it something solid to press against.

stagepat1.jpg

stagedrumanchorb.jpg

I just bought his e-book, Photograph, from iTunes and put myself on the notice list for when the actual book is available . Only 2000 signed copies worldwide available.

It's a stage screw. It was added by a stagehand on the Ed Sullivan Show to help ensure that the kick wouldn't get pushed off of that huge drum riser. It's not screwed into the drum at all, just gives it something solid to press against.

http://a1.vsoh.com/stagepat1.[/QUOTE]

Hi Milt,

Thanks for your clarification.

Barry

Hi All,

It seems that there is clarification about the height of Ringo's Jazzfest directly from a very well informed source.

Gary Astridge, who cleaned and set up Ringo's drums for the exhibit, said on Drumforum.org:

"The JF lugs are not off set. The top calfskin head is so stretched that in some areas the top of the rim are almost level with the head."

The snare I saw with the OBP kit was 5.5".

Barry

Question: How big were his drums? I thought it was a 13x9 tom, 20" bass, and 16" floor tom. But from that last picture of him sitting at the set, it looks..... tiny!! PLus, the rack tom and the snare look uncomfortably low given his position, and Ringo ain't exactly a tall guy.

Question: How big were his drums? I thought it was a 13x9 tom, 20" bass, and 16" floor tom. But from that last picture of him sitting at the set, it looks..... tiny!! PLus, the rack tom and the snare look uncomfortably low given his position, and Ringo ain't exactly a tall guy.

Ringo had 4 Oyster black pearl kits.Two were the downbeat which was 20/12/14 with THE jazzfest and two were 22/13/16 with THE jazzfest.

All his Beatle kits were standard sized drums 12x8,13x9,14x14,16x16 toms and 20x14,22x14 bass drums and the rarer 14x5.5 jazzfest snare.This includes his thermogloss maple kit.

Most jazzfests were 14x5.

Steve B

Back