12db Ear Protection?

Drumsarefun

So I just bought Hearos High Fidelity ear plugs and it says they reduce noise by 12db. I have heard these being recommended many times for drummers before but 12db doesn't seem like much to me...

Will these protect my ears enough?

That's not a lot, but it's better than none at all. It really depends what your needs are based on the volume around you and from your drums. I would tend to think that if you need to reduce volume to your ears, you'd need mnore than 12db, But there's also the paradox of blocking your ears so much that your sense of dynamics is hampered and the balance suffers. So maybe 12db is a workable compromise?

Bermuda

I actually use ER9 filters typically. Unless it's really loud, then I'll put in the 15 dB filters. I tried 25 dB ones once but it sounded like the rest of the band was outside. Maybe if I were playing on loud varsity stages with Texas headphones, then they would be good.

When the band isn't terribly loud, in a small-moderate bar, the 9.5 dB knocks it down enough my tinnitus doesn't kick up, but I'm not over playing either.

I use Earasers, which also reduce by a small amount of db, and I find they work well to take the edge off without making everything sound completely unnatural.

Musicians plugs are different. It's not really a flat 12db. The government makes them put a flat number, but the truth is, they go after certain harmful frequencies and leave others alone. I believe they average out the number or something of that nature.

I just picked up some of these myself. After fiddling with them for a while I think I found the best fit/seal. My question is similar to the OPs. Is 12db reduction enough? These almost sound too clear.

I will be using them for solo practice and practice with the band. Two amped guitars and one amped bass. For what it's worth, the other guys wear NOTHING when we practice.

I use some 12db reduction plugs and they're great for cutting down the offensiveness but keeping the tone.

When I'm teaching drum lessons they're great because they don't completely wipe out my ability to hear conversation but they knock the edge off the sounds created by two drumkits.

Back