Best choice for durable preferably cheap stands?

Gypsyheart

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the forum and figured it's about time i posted something!

I'm looking for a couple of cymbal stands to add on to my drum kit only being a bit tight on cash i thought i would ask some more experienced drummers what the best choice for the money would be. I'm looking for mid-weight either straight or boom but i'm not really interested in the cheap cheap stuff i want quality. I understand that you get what you pay for, i'm just looking for the best price i can get. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D
Thanks guys!

I understand that you get what you pay for

Good, because that is the golden rule in regards to pretty much everything with drums.

I've come to prefer boom stands, you may not need them in every situation but they are far more flexible than straight stands of course, and the ability to angle the cymbals exactly as prefered is important to me. For some reason I prefer the 8mm tops over 6mm, may be because the all the good quality stands I've had, (and still use) have the 8mm ones.

I've never thought about brands really, I bought my stands long ago, but I have two from Tama which are really nice, and have the 8mm tops, and two Sonor 400 series which have nice and sturdy base parts, but the boom part is a bit light and also have the 6mm top.

I can definitely recommend Tama HC73BWN, they don't cost a fortune and mine doesn't show any signs of wearing out.

The yamaha boom series can also be converted to a straight stand and are lightweight and durable. Stick with the 740 (single braced mid weight) and it pretty much does everything without weighing much.

The yamaha boom series can also be converted to a straight stand and are lightweight and durable. Stick with the 740 (single braced mid weight) and it pretty much does everything without weighing much.

+1. I wouldn't consider anything else -- the only stands I've owned in over 15 years.

+1... again

...for the Yamaha 740's. I own some and they show no signs of wear (except the plastic cymbal sleeve which is expected) after 6+ years of local gigging. They are not the lowest price stand you can walk out of a store with but....just don't go there.

The only reason to go bigger is if you tour a lot. Then the Yamaha 940's or some Tama heavy duty stands might be the way to go.

But you did say money was an issue so I'm assuming the 740's will do.

DON'T go cheap or you'll start stripping tilters and other screws as well as other dumb fails. Even buying used Yamahas you would come out ahead.

Jim

As was already recommended here, the Tama single-braced StageMaster stuff is really good, I also like the Yamaha 7-series single-braced stuff. Regarding the Yamaha's, I found 6-series straight cymbal stands on Amazon for $48 each - a steal considering how well-made they are.

But, you're not that far away from something like Pearl's double-braced 900-series stuff. I have that too and found that they didn't weigh that much more, and are much more stable. Above that would be Tama's RoadPro series, but at that point the price is kinda' high.

As I have learned over the years, I can make any hardware set-up work, but what I found is absolutely necessary is a good sturdy throne. I have DW9000 and Pork Pie thrones and love them - both of those cost 130+. I did try a Yamaha lightweight throne, and although it works, definitely not the same stable feeling, and sometimes I let it affect my groove.

I use stands from DW, Tama, Ludwig, Yamaha and Pearl. I believe from a value and quality standpoint, the Pearl double braced BC-900 boom/straight stands are the way to go. There's nothing wrong with any of the above manufacturers, but I'm balancing features, sturdiness, cost and they also incorporate the Uni-Lock tilters for very easy cymbal placement. Looking at any manufacturers "medium grade" stands will usually put you in the right direction.

Dennis

Not Dixon. If you play anything louder/heavier than a coffeehouse jazz gig, the cymbal holders will collapse.

Would not recommend.

I also agree with the Tama single-braced and Yamaha 700 series cymbal stands. I have used both and have clamped other cymbal arms and toms to them, and they hold up great. The two Tama stands I now have are about fifteen years old. Peace and goodwill.

Hey guys :)

Cheers for the advice i think i'm gonna go with the Yamaha stands, I already have one Yamaha stand and it's pretty lightweight and sturdy piece of kit! i would love to get me a few with the boom arm.

George

If you're looking for REALLY cheap but very sturdy, I'd go with Sound Percussion double braced boom stands (boom collapses inside to make straight stand as well.) It's GC/MF's house brand. You can usually get a 2 pack for $70-80. I bought 3 2-packs on sale for $60! Numerous, positive reviews too.

They've been sturdy so far through several breakdowns/setups, although the greater test will be 2-3 years from now.

I used to have a mixture of all Tama Roadpro/Titan/Stilts. I let somebody "borrow" them for my 4 yr. drumming hiatus from 2008-2012 and they ended up getting rusted out. Didn't feel like putting in the time to clean them up to go with my brand spanking new Tama kit, so I bought these SP's on the cheap.

Looking to sell them "as is" just to get something out of them. I just don't have the time to sit there and scrub all the rust/pitting off. I realize things get scratched/dented but these things look like crap.

EDIT: here you go....on sale now for 59.99! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/sound-percussion-double-boom-cymbal-stands--2-pack

If you're looking for REALLY cheap but fairly sturdy, I'd go with Sound Percussion double braced boom stands (boom collapses inside to make straight stand as well.) It's GC/MF's house brand. You can usually get a 2 pack for $70-80. I bought 3 2-packs on sale for $60!

They've been sturdy so far through several breakdowns/setups, although the greater test will be 2-3 years from now.

I used to have a mixture of all Tama Roadpro/Titan/Stilts. I let somebody "borrow" them for my 4 yr. drumming hiatus from 2008-2012 and they ended up getting rusted out. Didn't feel like putting in the time to clean them up to go with my brand spanking new Tama kit, so I bought these SP's on the cheap.

Looking to sell them "as is" just to get something out of them. I just don't have the time to sit there and scrub all the rust/pitting off. I realize things get scratched/dented but these things look like crap.

I'm in slight disagreement on the SP stuff. At one point I needed some cheap stands to outfit with a kit and picked up three SP straight cymbal stands (the less moving parts, the better), and within a month, every one of them developed an issue where at least one of the wing nut height adjusts just stripped out and couldn't be tightened. But some guys like them and have them for years, so maybe I got some bad stands. But the situation taught me to not trust them, so I stick with the brands I trust now. In some ways I've taken for granted just how good hardware has gotten in the last 20 years.

Fair enough. I'll know where I "stand" on the SP stands in a few years, provided they last that long. Maybe a dozen setups and breakdowns and so far, so good.

One thing about my old Tama stands was the weight (which in some ways, is viewed as a good thing). Now granted, the lightweight nature of the SPs may bite me in the ass at some point, but it sure is nice carrying 7 of them in a hardware bag with no problem. And that's with 2 herniated discs!

But that old Tama Stilt stand....holy crap I'd trust using that as a support beam for a house!

Fair enough. I'll know where I "stand" on the SP stands in a few years, provided they last that long. Maybe a dozen setups and breakdowns and so far, so good.

One thing about my old Tama stands was the weight (which in some ways, is viewed as a good thing). Now granted, the lightweight nature of the SPs may bite me in the ass at some point, but it sure is nice carrying 7 of them in a hardware bag with no problem. And that's with 2 herniated discs!

But that old Tama Stilt stand....holy crap I'd trust using that as a support beam for a house!

Fair enough, but because of the r&d that went into Tama's heavier stuff, they're lightweight stuff is really good. I had a stage master hi-hat stand for almost 20 years then sold it to a friends son and its still going strong!

I just picked up two Yamaha single braced boom stands, I think its their 600 series and WOW! Having never used a single braced stand before they always gave me the impression that they wont be up to what i need them to do, But these do the job perfectly.. handy when taking to gigs as well.. You'd be surprised how much more space there is in the car. I think what really persuaded me to to buy them is because they were going on Ebay barely used for £40 for both! :D
You guys gave me some advice so i thought i'd just drop by and let you know the outcome. :D
George

I have the 2 Sound Percussion boom stands (the $70 two-pack), the Tama Roadpro boom stand, and a DW-9000-weight PDP straight stand. The SP stands are very solid for the price, they're fairly light but they are solid. Solid enough to stand up a tom and 2 or 3 clamped on cymbal arms (on both stands) for about 3 years now. The only issue mine have developed is that the very top of the stand where the boom arm "joint" is has an Allen screw that has come loose in both models. It's very small and I don't have the right size wrench for it, but it does mean that the top boom arm & tilter will come right off the piping if you're not careful. It can be fixed with the right size Allen wrench or just some thought about where you pick the stand up. I do not regret my purchase at all (but with my current setup of having 9 cymbals and 2 toms spread over just 2 stands, I use the heavier Tama and PDP just to be sure). I recommend them highly for inexpensive, light gear, unless you are clamp crazy like me!

The PDP 800 stuff is good and the 900 stuff is rock solid, I have a 12 and 13" toms an 18" crash and two splashes on one and its solid as hell.

buy used. i have never had an issue with used hardware and its less than half the cost.
yamaha, tama...virtually indestructible under ordinary use.

Back