Apparently I am a Ghost

Most times I pay anyway because it's easier than explaining. Hmm, maybe an investment in a sparkly yellow jacket would pay for itself after a while?

Nah....never pay Pol....demand a rider. Get it written into the contract and then just smile and bat your eye lids at the bar staff.

G'day All,
I've been playing drums, in bands, for over 40 years, & I have always said, Drummers are invisible.
BUT, make one stuffup, & everyone notices, so I'm glad to be invisible, that means I may not have stuffed up too often.

You should be happy.
Most people only really notice the drummer when he sucks!
Only a small amount of people in the audience notice a good drummer for his playing merits.

I do that solo/singing act from behind the drums and nobody notices me still. Sometimes I just wanna go Carmine Appice on everybody.....

(You're ego is big when you become a verb).

Sometimes recognition is overrated, just realize if you people enjoyed the music it was partly because of you. And if they hated it.... well they can't see behind your mountain of equipment.

Nah....never pay Pol....demand a rider. Get it written into the contract and then just smile and bat your eye lids at the bar staff.

Oh gawd, that sounds like work, Pocket :) Last time was cool, though. Our bassist handed me two tickets, each of which would get me an on-the-house.

Bo, that sucks. So it seems that drumming not only fails to grab people's attention but it acts as an attention diverter! The weird thing is that the attention inhibition quality doesn't work on neighbours .... for some reason they always seem to notice ... must be Murphy's Law ...

I had a couple of beers and I was just surprised as I make sure to make eye contact with people and I sing as well

With hindsight I believe it's one of the best indirect compliments anyone has given me about my playing. It tells me I am playing for the music and not for myself. It also tells me that I've never bombed that badly on stage! Also I forgot as a ego stroker I am the only member of the band who has had anyone (happened a few times) come up to the rest of the band asking if I was single

I'll take that! Lol, just don't tell the missus !

it happens to the best and worst of us dude. ive had shows where everyone just thought i was some sweaty guy in the crowd to not even beliveing me that i was the drummer for the band that juat played no matter what i said, to getting mad props for the show and my band being pissed at me cause they didnt get any attention.
personally i like being told i had a good show by a couple of people then being left alone, drunk fans can get really annoying.

Drummers get noticed more than you may know. If you're up there and everyone is looking at the band, there are people looking at you. Just because you don't hear from every single person doesn't mean they didn't see you. You are not invisible. There's a way to prove it. Offer a round to anyone who can pick the drummer out of the crowd.
Then you will see how many actually really do know that you are the drummer.

You can also ask the guitarists to not block your view of the crowd. I definitely do this with musicians who aren't prima's. I explain to them that I need to see the crowd because I take tempo cues from the dancers, which isn't untrue. Plus I'm not fond of staring at a guitarist's skinny ass all night.

I don't like it when guitarists/harpists put their amp directly in front of my kick drum when I'm unmiced. Most times there's no other choice for them but when there is, I speak up.

I get it all the time from people in my church... "I *know* you from somewhere..." "Yeah, I'm the drummer at church!" "Oh *yeahhhh*... that's it!"

In my last band, I got noticed a lot because I had a mammoth drumset with rack tubes and cymbals and stuff all over the place. The drumset was a spectacle that got me noticed. But I paid for it with two herniated discs (oh, how I wish I was kidding). Now I carry a much smaller kit and am happy to be less noticed.

+1 on the comments that if nobody notices you, it means at least you didn't kill the music!

Back