What Do You Think About When Playing ?

G'day All,
Good day playing----------Geez this is fun--------oops bugger.

Bad day playing------------Geez this is fun--------oops bugger-------bugger-----bugger-----oops.

I am usually thinking about the tempo and my mechanics. I try to focus on keeping the hi hats even. I also think about what song we should play next (I call the songs) I try to read the crowd and try to mix it up give soloists and vocals a breather if they need it. Try not to play two songs in the same key in a row.

Sometimes If I'm struggling to perform that day I like to imagine I'm in a better place. I usually try to imagine I'm playing on letterman, or playing with some famous band.

My thought processes on a bad day:

am I pulling a drummer face? ... ugh! I am ... people must think I'm such a retard
It is almost unavoidable when in a good groove. Mine makes me look constipated as i am told. I've since started chewing on cocktail straws.

I too think about upcoming fills while playing. I also keep an eye on our lead singer watching for her cues on endings and such.

Depends on the type of music and even the song. I can remember needing to count during certain parts of certain songs.

I did have the opportunity to drum for Evita (the show,) once. Would love to do it again. I DID have to think for that show. There are a lot of things, and odd time signatures, going on, and some of the stuff I just had to count.

If you can read and you have the opportunity to do some musicals, even for a local group, it is quite a nice change of pace. I used to do a lot of them, and loved them.

#1--"Where the hell am I?"
#2--"Who are these people?"
#3--"Are those people really clapping for me?"
#4--"How does this song end?"
#5--"How does this song start?"
#6--"Where's my wife? She was here just a few minutes ago..."
#7--"Hey...what does this thing do?"
#8--"Why is that guy in the front row blowing kisses at our guitarist? That's weird."
#9--"Why is it when two women go to the bathroom it's ok, but if two men go it's gay?"
#10--"Who farted?"

Tempo. Then I find myself watching the others and doing the Buddy Rich sort of "GET READY" for the next thing.....thing.

Someone bought a camera round to a parctice we had the other night to take pics to put on the bands website and there's not one even haf decent photo of me (I hate having my photo taken anyway) - - every single one I look so damn serious it's sad !!!! Man the concentration hurts.
From now on when I'm playing I think I'll be thinking - - - go on see if you smile you miserable git :) Never know my playing get better as well.

I don't know if I think of anything during a song I just blank out thought and play. If it's a unique fill or something which is essential I will know how to do it any way so I'm not really preparing myself for it. I just let my arms and feet do the talking as I rarely play the same fill in a song every time unless it is unique to it (if that makes sense).

Ideally, there should be no thoughts going through your head, what some call 'the zone'. A past teacher warned me that the moment you start thinking about a part of the arrangement or a fill thats coming up, you're doomed to failure. At the very least, not knowing the arrangement inside-out, or not having your chops together will make you look tense on-stage.
Aim to be relaxed enough that you can laugh and make silly noises whilst playing.

" why do the guitars have to be so loud i cant hear my bass drum, well it looks like my feet are keeping in time..."

"why is my guitarest making humping motions in my direction?"

"ugh! who ate burritos the night before?"

" i am so sick of playing this song.."

I think I fit in, I don't really think at all.

When thoughts DO come running through, they're often things like:

"WWDGD?" (WHat would Dave Grohl do?)

"Heh, what would Jesus do if he could play?"

"Oh, crap, I better do that 3 more times."

"Whoops. That was dumb."

Back