Becoming A Drummer Musically Opened My Mind

Taye-Dyed

I started out as a guitarist then turned bassist in the late 70's. I have been mainly into classic rock, blues, prog, fusion all my life. It had to be guitar-centric or complex, jazzy, classically influenced, epic, etc. etc. for me to listen to a piece music. I had no time for "lesser" forms of music made by mere mortals! Bit of a music snob, right?

Then I picked up the drums three years ago and now I realize that a lot of styles of music that have been outside of my radar contains great drumming. Now I can enjoy a song even if it does not have a 10 minute guitar solo if I focus on the drums. Since I am a hack on drums, I am easily impressed by most professional drumming and therefore I have been enjoying a lot more music than I used to.

Can anybody relate to this?

I've always been a drummer. In my early years, if a song didn't have prominent drums or a strong backbeat or no drums at all, I'd quickly dismiss it. I've matured musically over the years. I've learned to appreciate/evaluate the ENTIRE song, studying all of the parts/instruments and seeing how they fit together.

Umm, yes. If it didn't have a 50-piece orchestra, I wasn't interested. I missed out on a lot of stuff.

I started out as a guitarist then turned bassist in the late 70's. I have been mainly into classic rock, blues, prog, fusion all my life. It had to be guitar-centric or complex, jazzy, classically influenced, epic, etc. etc. for me to listen to a piece music. I had no time for "lesser" forms of music made by mere mortals! Bit of a music snob, right?

Then I picked up the drums three years ago and now I realize that a lot of styles of music that have been outside of my radar contains great drumming. Now I can enjoy a song even if it does not have a 10 minute guitar solo if I focus on the drums. Since I am a hack on drums, I am easily impressed by most professional drumming and therefore I have been enjoying a lot more music than I used to.

Can anybody relate to this?

Do you ever "turn" into something? Once a guitar player always a guitar player, then once you pick up bass you're always a bass player, drums, etc.

When I was little I was always banging on things with spoons and mallets singing songs with them. I wanted to be Rick Allen from Def Leppard. I got an electric kids drum set when I was 8 and wore it out in 6 months. I had several pairs of drum sticks that I would beat on a special "stool" that my dad gave me. When I split it open we kept repairing it with duct tape which gave it a nice thwack sound. I would write songs and time them and play drums to them. I can't tell you how long that went on for. I always wanted a real drum set but couldn't get one.

I finally seriously picked up guitar when I turned 14. It was only $100 so it was easy to ask for a birthday gift. I have been playing guitar for 11 years. I picked up bass 9 years ago and finally picked up drums seriously 6 years ago. I play them all and consider myself somewhat seasoned in all instruments. I'm kind of a freak because I record my own albums and play all the instruments on them. I have to constantly explain to people I don't have "a band", it's just me. They can't wrap their heads around it.

I think it's always good to keep improving and learn new instruments. I play some piano, actually I play a lot of piano, but I never learned properly (my fingers are not conditioned or learned well enough for traditional piano playing) so I am ashamed to admit that I even play and don't consider it an instrument I play. I think that's my next project is to learn piano professionally and well.

Do you ever "turn" into something? Once a guitar player always a guitar player, then once you pick up bass you're always a bass player, drums, etc..

Great point. I always banged on things since I was 3-4 years old - always had that drumming itch. But what I meant by becoming a drummer was that I actually got a drum kit and started playing actual drums 3 years ago.

Before then I was aware of a lot of great drummers, but what happened after I started playing is that I started appreciating other drummers besides the usual suspects. I hear some pop song that I would not pay any attention to before and now the drums catch my ear. The music might not be my cup of tea, but I hear well crafted drum parts by a good studio drummer and I no longer dismiss that piece of music.

Umm, yes. If it didn't have a 50-piece orchestra, I wasn't interested. I missed out on a lot of stuff.

Yes Madge, you are a great example of someone whose musical horizons have been widened by taking up the drums. Just your discovery of Eric Clapton's music alone is worth your embarking on this adventure. There will be many more rewards (along with a few frustrations) along the way.

Yes Madge, you are a great example of someone whose musical horizons have been widened by taking up the drums. Just your discovery of Eric Clapton's music alone is worth your embarking on this adventure. There will be many more rewards (along with a few frustrations) along the way.

Aww, you've just made me go all warm and fuzzy. Thank you!

Back