TD-20 or TD-30

Chromium

Looking to upgrade from my Alesis DM10 kit which I've outgrown the capabilities of and very interested in the top-end Roland kits, specifically the TD-20s and TD-30s.

I don't want this to become a Yamaha vs Roland discussion, so I'll state right now I'm after a Roland kit... I don't like the Yamaha pads or the look of their kits.

But I need a little advice which I can't seem to find elsewhere. I'm hoping Roland owners can answer this for me...

I'm confused about the difference between the TD-30K V-Pro and the TD-30KV V-Pro. From what I gather the drum module is exactly the same, and apart from slightly larger sized drums, and one extra tom, what else is the difference? Why is the latter almost £2,700 more here in the UK? I'm thinking the sensitivity and accuracy of the pads must be also improved, but is it worth the extra to most drummers?

I've always thought if you can afford the best then buy the best, you probably won't regret it later. If I buy a TD-20 now will I simply want to upgrade to a TD-30 later on?

Apart from the USB connectivity will the TS-20KV V-Pro be that much different?

Cheers,
Chromium

I would say newer is always better. Products generally improve with each generation. So, the new TD-30 replaces the old TD-20. Unless you find a very attractive clearance discount on the old, since-replaced, TD-20, just get the current model, the TD-30.

I'm confused about the difference between the TD-30K V-Pro and the TD-30KV V-Pro. From what I gather the drum module is exactly the same, and apart from slightly larger sized drums, and one extra tom, what else is the difference? Why is the latter almost £2,700 more here in the UK? I'm thinking the sensitivity and accuracy of the pads must be also improved, but is it worth the extra to most drummers?
Apart from the USB connectivity will the TS-20KV V-Pro be that much different?
Cheers,
Chromium

Some of the differences between the KV & K are:
  • KV pads are all new; designed to trigger better at rim; also KV pads are better looking as well IMO
  • Kick pad on KV is larger by 2inches, although I've played both kick pads, either one is fine IMO
  • KV rack much better rack; all steel construction and looks better as well

Personally, if I was gonna spend the money on a new e-kit, and my choice was either a td-20 or a td-30 the kit (which it wouldn't be), I'd opt for the td-30, and between K or KV, that's a decision that you and your wallet will have to make...$2700 is a lot of money; before deciding I'd try to spend some time on both kits...

Last edited:
I much prefer buying new but I would happily own a td-20 if money was an issue. I have played both the td-20 and td-30 and there were some small differences but the 20 is still great.

Agreed TD20 is still a great kit.

I tried the TD-30K and 30KV kits recently at Wembley Drum Centre. Well worth a trip if you are considering them.

I felt a bit cheated with the TD30K kit. The toms and the cymbals felt like the previous generation kits and I'm sure the hat was different as well. The TD-30KV had new silver cymbals, and it may be phychological, but they felt so much nicer and I mean feel. The hihat really was a revelation and the whole experience was a joy. I was blown away for sure. The new drum kits were significantly better too.

So I am considering the TD-30 and I would defo get the TD-30KV.

That's my take.
Davo

I'll give you my perspective since I just bought a Roland kit. I am comming back to drumming after a 20+ year break and didn't have a kit of any kind. I like the Rolands as they are wife and neighbor friendly in terms of noise.

I had seen the TD-20SX kits a couple of years ago at the time the top of the line flagship. I knew the TD-30KV was out and my decision was between a new TD-30KV and a lightly used TD-20SX. I playe a TD-30K at a Guitar Center, it seemed a bit "smallish" to me. Being married, $4000, the price of the lightly used TD-20SX was less of a marital problem than the $5800 for the TD-30KV (best price for a new one I could find).

I decided to get the TD-20SX. I found one a few hours drive away. It came with all the hardware I needed (mid-level, which I replaced with DW 9000). If I decide to upgrade the module at a later date, I can sell the TD-20X module and get the TD-30 module. If I don't feel the need to upgrade, I'm ahead money wise. The TD-20SX is a great kit I'm very happy with. I figured the percentage I would be happier with the TD-30KV wasn't significantly more than I am.

YMMV.

Chris

Thanks for all the brilliant advice above guys... I was getting a bit fed up after trying the TD30KV that I might have to settle for just a regular TD30.

But in the end I got an incredible deal... and a fantastic result. One of the large UK retailers had a 'B-Stock' TD-20KX V-Pro that had been on display and I got that for less than £2.9k with a years guarantee. It was a little dusty and had a badly applied Blue-wrap kit over a perfectly good silver wrap. Apart from that... Perfect.

However even better than that... The day I placed my order (via credit card), it had been in my on-line basket for a couple of days, and I later got an email telling me that there should have been a % discount applied to all their B-Stock at the start of the month, but the script had not run. So because of the error they would like to offer me 12.5% off the listed price! That was essentially another £300 less than I paid, so when they said I could retrospectively claim it, I took Pearl hardware (S-2000 Snare stand and H-2000 Hi-hat), as a credited order. Essentially the TD-20KX V-Pro cost me £2600

The only difference (apart from the brain) from the TD30KV V-Pro, is that the hi-hat is a VH12 instead of a VH13. If I bought a TD30 Module for £1700 I would essentially have a TD-30KV for about £2k + (TD20SX module sale price) less than the price new.

And yes Davo... The silver cymbals are much nicer than the black! :)

Thanks for all the brilliant advice above guys... I was getting a bit fed up after trying the TD30KV that I might have to settle for just a regular TD30.

But in the end I got an incredible deal... and a fantastic result. One of the large UK retailers had a 'B-Stock' TD-20KX V-Pro that had been on display and I got that for less than £2.9k with a years guarantee. It was a little dusty and had a badly applied Blue-wrap kit over a perfectly good silver wrap. Apart from that... Perfect.

However even better than that... The day I placed my order (via credit card), it had been in my on-line basket for a couple of days, and I later got an email telling me that there should have been a % discount applied to all their B-Stock at the start of the month, but the script had not run. So because of the error they would like to offer me 12.5% off the listed price! That was essentially another £300 less than I paid, so when they said I could retrospectively claim it, I took Pearl hardware (S-2000 Snare stand and H-2000 Hi-hat), as a credited order. Essentially the TD-20KX V-Pro cost me £2600

The only difference (apart from the brain) from the TD30KV V-Pro, is that the hi-hat is a VH12 instead of a VH13. If I bought a TD30 Module for £1700 I would essentially have a TD-30KV for about £2k + (TD20SX module sale price) less than the price new.

And yes Davo... The silver cymbals are much nicer than the black! :)

Great deal well done.

I have a TD12 and so I'm lagging behind. But this kit is wonderful since I downloaded kits from www.vexpressionsltd.com.

Peace
Davo

Back