My chance run in with Steve Gadd

wsabol

Gold Member
So a couple weeks ago my family went on a trip to Hawaii. It was awesome to say the least. Very expensive, but awesome.

Anyway, I was laying by the pool listening to my tunes, and I notice the top of this man's head out in front of me. I think to myself, "That guy kinda looks like Steve Gadd, and he is with a women that kinda looks like his wife." Keeping my distance, I get up and walk around to get a better look, and think again, "That guy kinda really looks like Steve Gadd, and he is with a women that kinda really looks like his wife."

I go sit back down smiling and laughing to myself that I must be dreaming. My wife asks me what I'm laughing at, and I reply, " I think that guy down there is Steve Gadd." My wife laughs out loud at me. Then I explain, and she gasps "how do you know what Steve Gadd's wife looks like?!" lol. We go to he website and I show her pictures of him and his family, and we start admiring his tattoos and seeing if we can match them to the guy in front of us. Sure enough, perfect match. My wife is screaming. My heart is going a million miles an hour. OH MY GADD, ITS GADD!

So of course everybody is egging me on to go talk to him, but I had no idea what to say, and I didn't want to be an annoying fan, and I was extremely nervous to say the least. What do you say to Gadd when you catch him on vacation in Hawaii?

I finally get the cojones to go down there and introduce myself and shake hands with the Man for the first time. It was incredible. He is an ultra nice guy. He asks me if I was a drummer and what/where I was playing and we talked drumming for a bit, but we mostly got to talking about stuff we were doing around the island. My wife took our picture.

We ran into Gadd a few more times (nbd, lol) and I really wanted to talk drums and the business with him of course, but I knew he was on vacation with family, so I knew I had to respect that and not be the annoying stalker fan. It was hard haha. Regardless, he is a amazing human being, and I feel extremely blessed to have met him.

I can't believe this happened. I'm still star struck.

Attachments

• SAM_0358.JPG
    SAM_0358.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 6,254
Last edited:
Awesome story and a wonderful human being.

Used to see him all the time at our local grocery stores, etc while he was back living in Rochester before moving to Arizona.

The bass player I play with used to be his neighbor for his years back here.

Lucky man and good eye for spotting him! ;)

Nice to hear that some of our heroes are good guys, too. Thanks for sharing.

great stuff bro.

you gotta love a chance meeting like that.

Steve is a great guy

Great story.Things like chance meeting usually seem to occur in the least likley place and at the least likey times.Everybody deserves a moment like that.It makes you appreciate how small the world has actually become.:)

Steve B

You guys have never heard of Photoshop??
Just kidding- that was a very cool story (and it all happened in Hawaii you lucky S.O.B.)!

How cool is that? Talk about a highlight of your vacation! It would have been fun to not let on you knew him. Then just bump into him and start normal conversation, while casually mentioning that you play drums. Just to see how he would have handled it. Would he let on?

Very cool story. And you were totally cool to let him have his vacation while still offering props to one of all our heros.

I liked the bit about him asking you if you were a drummer. What do you say to that when confronted with Steve Gadd? I'm reminded of a story from a guitarist friend of mine. This guy now lives in Vegas and has played big shows such as Wayne Newton and Donny & Marie. He was at a jazz club in SF watching Bruce Foreman and Bruce caught him watching intently. When they went to break Bruce asked him if he was as guitar player. He responded that he was a "guitar owner".

Two plane tickets to Hawaii - A bunch of money

Sunscreen and drinks - Another bunch of money

Meeting Steve Gadd - ohmahgod!

Just awesome. I'm thrilled for you that you had this chance to meet him. I don't know what I would do. There are a handful of living musicians who would leave me star struck, and Gadd is one of them. The guy was my biggest influence by a country mile when I was a young guy. I studied his music so carefully, religiously, ya know? I would have no idea what to do, but I know whatever I decided, my heart would be pounding.

I think you handled it perfectly. I would try to do the same. I would just worry that I might creep him out. But it sounds like you went about it the right way.

Great photo!

8Mile - My thoughts exactly. The aorta of my playing feeds directly from the guy.

I studied his music so carefully, religiously, ya know?

Oh yes. I do know.

Great photo!

Thanks.

How cool is that? Talk about a highlight of your vacation!

Thanks Larry. It definitely was. Even my wife thinks so, haha. Sometimes I think she was more star struck than me, lol.

I liked the bit about him asking you if you were a drummer. What do you say to that when confronted with Steve Gadd? I'm reminded of a story from a guitarist friend of mine. This guy now lives in Vegas and has played big shows such as Wayne Newton and Donny & Marie. He was at a jazz club in SF watching Bruce Foreman and Bruce caught him watching intently. When they went to break Bruce asked him if he was as guitar player. He responded that he was a "guitar owner".

haha. Thanks for this story Aeolian. I'll have to remember that. I really had the worst time thinking of what I was going to say when I went down there. In situations like that, there is a fine between sincere admiration and just profuse flattery word vomit. Of course, looking back, I wish I had said something completely different than what I did, but oh well. It was still awesome.

Way cool story!! You made a good choince in not wearing your Speedos to the pool that day. ;^) It's always good to learn your heros are fine people as well as being noteworthy.

Back