Tama SLP Snare Drums

LeftyDoug

Anybody tried one of these yet? They sound and look pretty good in the YouTube videos from Tama. I'm really digging the Bubinga and Power Maple models. The black brass looks really cool too. They are all reasonably priced as well. Opinions?

The Vintage Steel model is at the GC close to my house, and personally I think it looks great. I havent gotten to play the drum yet, but I have held it and its pretty heavy

I've recently bought the classic maple and... awesome!!! It has a nice warm sound, very sewnsitive and you can tune it in a wide range. Easy to adjust the snares.
On the whole, very nice snare drum with an incredible price (comparing with other similar).
I strongly recommend this snare.

Cool! Thanks Peri! I'd love to buy a bunch of them. Right now I'm looking at the G-bubinga and then the Power maple. Maybe even the black brass model eventually. They look like great snare drums for the price.

I have 2 maple snares. I migth be interested in the Black Brass, but also, a .357 , might be better?

Tama snares and drums are made to be sustained. They take a beating and STILL sound good.

Their snares are tanks. They are like the Ruger of the drum world

Depends on price, I could also get a pork pie.....

I'm going to be picking up one of the classic maples on saterday, could someone tell me if it would work for funky, hip hop kinda stuff.

I can confirm now that this classic maple slp is amazing, seriously funky with great snap and sensitivity, couldn't be happier with this affordable purchase :)

I'm sold on the G-Bubinga. It has the crack of my DW Edge and Craviotto but with more bottom end phatness. I'd feel much better gigging with the G-Bubinga than degrade the value of the Edge or Craviotto, considering how much I paid for them.
My two cents... CHEERS!

I will also confirm here that the SLP 6.5x13 Sonic Steel snare is an awesome CRACKER! With a double-ply batter head, it also tuned down well too, I was surprised. Unfortunately I can't keep mine since there was a family emergency I had to help fund, but I'll consider it again when I can shop for another 13" drum!

I'm sold on the G-Bubinga. It has the crack of my DW Edge and Craviotto but with more bottom end phatness. I'd feel much better gigging with the G-Bubinga than degrade the value of the Edge or Craviotto, considering how much I paid for them.
My two cents... CHEERS!

+1 here on that. Tama snares are built well, and perform so nicely. Solid drums.

The G-Bubinga is a gorgeous looking snare, I agree that it nicely captures the qualities of the Edge and Craviatto. At the same time, YOU CAN travel with it comfortably, as it is about 1/3 the price of the DW Edge.

This Tama SLP line is a very smart buy in all regards. The Power Maple just cuts through anything, and has a very wet tone to it. This one is truly defined by its wet ring that cuts.
The G-Bubinga has that crack to it, and is extremely versatile in many genres.
You can't go wrong with this Tama line, and the price is insanely affordable for the tone you get.

I bought them both to try out, but couldn't decide which one to keep, as they both kick ass.

Last edited:
I've been looking at SLP videos on youtube. The Walnut seems to be a versatile snare for all kinds of music IMO

Just got a Tama SLP Classic Dry Aluminum snare. 5.5 x 14 aluminum shell, light as a feather, great versatility and sound. All for under $300. I also like the 13 x 7 Kapur snare. May get that at some point.

I'm going to GC today which has a few. I may just pick one up for giggles. Can never have enough snares, Rides and Hi Hats

In my small experience, they are an excellent sound for the money.

Tama SLP aluminum snare (LAL1455): video

Tama SLP G-maple Ltd. Edition snare (LGM1465-SMT) tuned tight: video

Tama SLP G-maple Ltd. Edition snare (LGM1465-SMT) tuned for punch: video

Back