Denting drumheads

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
How long do your heads last before denting?

After four years I have yet to dent a head. And I hit very hard. Even on super thin heads I've never dented one

Denting could mean you're using small round tips on your sticks and there's less surface area of the tip hitting the head if compared to an almond shaped tip. (when all other factors are the same.)

You could be hitting the head on more of an angle than you need to. Try tilting the drum UP a bit. Maybe to JUST the angle where you miss the rim and the point of the stick won't stick into the head as much, it will rebound off it.

I have new drums and my buddy who is a drummer came over and dented my remos in one sitting! Personally, I was not impressed and his random style as well as denting my heads reenforced all the more to me that I was taking lessons! Hey, my bud is a great guy but for as long as he told me he had been playing and could hardly come up with a solid groove I was like OH HELL NO, I need a teacher!

So, for my heads it took one pounder one sitting to dent my heads!

You should never dent drum heads, ever. The only dent I've ever put in a head is from dropping it in mid stroke. It rotated to 90 degrees off the head and made dent.

I've been playing ten years and never dented a head. If you do, you are playing too hard. Downward force should not be the main focus of your strokes but rather the rebound. If you 'play' the drum instead of hitting it you will get a better sound, better control, and not break sticks or heads.

I also have been playing for over 20 years and have never dented a head...... From my experience i have only seen dented heads on toms that are at extreme angles..........

I'm thinking that, if you're denting heads yourself, it could be to do with your 'strength-building' exercises which involve gripping to the point of pain, which you've described elsewhere. If an exercise like this is causing you to hit drums with force excessive enough to dent, i'd leave it alone.

I actually never dent heads, sorry if I misled anyone, but I've used my set on open mic jams where other drummers use them and I tell them hey I just put new single ply heads on, don't dent them. Waste of breath. I agree, if you're denting them, you're doing something wrong. Now if I have to use my set in that kind of situation I change heads to the ones that got dented previously, and change back when I'm going to be the only one using the kit. Rebound is a beautiful thing

I've dented a tom head once when I was frustrated with its sound and really laying into it. Dumb, I know. But when used normally most heads shouldn't dent. Unless you use really thin ones.

Back