Bands with two drummers

A lot of the great Motown records were recorded with two drummers, Pistol Allen and I can't remember the other guy.

I've done a fair amount of jamming with other drummers. If I was called to do a gig with a band that used two drummers I'd do it, if for no other reason than curiosity. Could be a lot of fun.

I'm not really a huge fan of the music but some later King Crimson with Bruford and Pat Mastelotto is really impressive. I have a VHS of a live concert in Japan from like '98 I think, there is some really cool stuff on it, they play really well together, and Pats kit is really unique. Other than that I can't stand any Crimson with Adrian Belew, good guitar player, terrible singer. Some people just shouldn't sing.

A lot of the great Motown records were recorded with two drummers, Pistol Allen and I can't remember the other guy.

Uriel Jones, and the original drummer, the great Benny Benjamin, who died supposedly from a stroke, according to Wiki.
But Benny had alcohol and heroin problems, which probably contributed.
Early on, Berry Gordy wouldn't produce a session if Jamerson and Benjamin weren't on it.

That's how important the drummer and bass player are.

There was a King Crimson album a while ago that used two different drummers.

I think it was THRAK, but I'm not sure...

There was a King Crimson album a while ago that used two different drummers.

I think it was THRAK, but I'm not sure...

Yes it was! And a great album it is. I understand King Crimson got back into two drummers again, this time with Pat Mastellotto (as the older member) and Gavin Harrison as the new guy. I've yet to download some tracks from them with the new line up, though. It must sound cool.

Yes it was! And a great album it is. I understand King Crimson got back into two drummers again, this time with Pat Mastellotto (as the older member) and Gavin Harrison as the new guy. I've yet to download some tracks from them with the new line up, though. It must sound cool.

I haven't listened to anything real recent from them, but I guess I gotta check it out, lol.

The Melvins come to mind when I think of a band with two drummers.
One of the best examples of two drummers making it the spectacle it should be IMO. I was always a Melvins fan, but it seems like really found an extra gear when they picked up Coady Willis (or should I just say Big Business?). He's an amazing drummer and a perfect match for Dale Crover. My favorite two-drummer band right there.

Bumping an old thread with this awesome clip! It's got 2 really cool drum parts and some monstrous groove!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ysRH1Dxyw

I cannot stress it enough to listen to the Mothers of Invention. They almost always had 2 drummers going, and they were both great. One did solid R&B stuff, and the other was orchestrally trained.

Never really liked it too much. I've never seen a showing of two drummers that justified why they had to have two, I'm probably missing out on something really impressive but thats just been my experience. I've always thought of drumming as a one man job.

Don't care that much for two drummers, with the exception of the Allman Bros Band.
Butch Trucks and Jaimoe Jai Johanny Johanson are amazing. (poster above mentioned)

Show me one drummer that can do this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdVrRJ1T-Xk

Ringo and His All Starr Band tours with two drummers now and the both play at the same time on a few tunes.

MELVINS- Ever since the album " A senile Animal" they have use two drummers.

Check out "Evil New War glass" for a good example of that.

Jim Keltner I think. I was watching some Ry Cooder stuff the other day with Jim Keltner on drums and I've just never heard anyone play like him.

What do you guys think about bands with two drummers? I not a big fan of it personally, If there are two drummers I really would expect something mind blowing,

Not much of a fan of 2 drummers, unless one is a percussionist as well:

Mike Oldfield had 2 drummers - though Pierre Moerlen was far more than just a drummer

Genesis with Phil and Chester

Feargal Sharkey had 2 female drummers

Gary Glitter had 2 drummers...... (don't be rude)

Amon Duul II had two drummers on "Live in London" - very effective

If you're into jazz, David Binney's "Graylen Epicenter" features Dan Weiss and Brian Blade playing together on most of the tracks. Neither of them overplay and they work very musically together. Definately worth looking into.

Back