Hardware tote cases?

I have Gator 15x36 inch bags without wheels for my smaller kits. (4 and 5 piece in fusion/jazz sizes)
The hardware weighs around 80 LBS for those kits.

I have a Gator bag with wheels for my larger 6 piece Rock kit.
The hardware weighs slightly over 100 LBS for that kit.

Hey Bob,

I have been looking at the Gator line of cases, they seem to be a good compromise between price & features, how long have you had your cases, are they good for 'casual' hauling, or robust enough to take a beating? On the larger case, can you get your drum stool in the case?

Thanks

H

Good info Bonzo, thanks. Do you pad/tie down the hardware within the case? i would imagine that is where a 'true' traps case has an advantage, additional padding....unless I steal all the extra towels from home!

Bonzo thats a good idea and cheaper than drum brand cases.

I use a golf travel bag with wheels on it, inside there are tie down straps as well as tightening straps to keep the hardware togeather, on the outside it has larger straps to cinch it tight. also has a lot of handles on the outside for easy hauling.

Good info Bonzo, thanks. Do you pad/tie down the hardware within the case? i would imagine that is where a 'true' traps case has an advantage, additional padding....unless I steal all the extra towels from home!

That may or may not work because it is not very long. I got an SKB smallish trap case, but first I broke down my hardware into transport condition, put it in a pile and measured the length, width and height. You should do this first, then see if the WalMart case will work.

I suspect this Walmart case is made of particleboard covered with plastic. In a case like that, you will need to be careful as it won't be as durable as a purpose-built plastic case.

I've been looking at those. Just not gonna work for me. My Tama Road Pro stand is 31.5 inches when it's broken down....the biggest I can find at Wal Mart is 30". Too bad.

EDIT: Actually my stand is 30.5. I mis-typed before. And Wal Mart has 31" trunks but they are nearly 100 bucks. For 100 bucks I can get a legitimate drum hardware case.

Last edited:
I've been looking at those. Just not gonna work for me. My Tama Road Pro stand is 31.5 inches when it's broken down....the biggest I can find at Wal Mart is 30". Too bad.

EDIT: Actually my stand is 30.5. I mis-typed before. And Wal Mart has 31" trunks but they are nearly 100 bucks. For 100 bucks I can get a legitimate drum hardware case.
I set my stands diagonally in my case..no probs. if you have a lot of stands that may be a prob..lol

I set-up light mostly old-school with a modern twist- 1 bass drum, 1 tom, 1 floor-tom, 1 snare, 3 crashes(17" A med-thin,16" A-custom EFX & a 18" rock crash with a inverted 6" splash on top), a ride & a 10" splash.

oh yeah can't forget my LP "Prestige" cowbell..lol

good luck,
Bonzolead

I set my stands diagonally in my case..no probs. if you have a lot of stands that may be a prob..lol

I set-up light mostly old-school with a modern twist- 1 bass drum, 1 tom, 1 floor-tom, 1 snare, 3 crashes(17" A med-thin,16" A-custom EFX & a 18" rock crash with a inverted 6" splash on top), a ride & a 10" splash.

oh yeah can't forget my LP "Prestige" cowbell..lol

good luck,
Bonzolead

With more calculation I've determined that my RP stand would fit diagonally in the 30" case. I have 4 stands plus HH, snare, and throne. All the other stands should fit fine. Thanks for your help.

With more calculation I've determined that my RP stand would fit diagonally in the 30" case. I have 4 stands plus HH, snare, and throne. All the other stands should fit fine. Thanks for your help.

Anytime, You may not be able too get the throne in I've got a Roc-n-Soc "Nitro" & it won't. fit but it's worth it even if I have too carry by itself..lol

Again I take my beater off my bd pedal I don't. want it too get messed up.

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

Anytime, You may not be able too get the throne in I've got a Roc-n-Soc "Nitro" & it won't. fit but it's worth it even if I have too carry by itself..lol

Again I take my beater off my bd pedal I don't. want it too get messed up.

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

Hmm. I've got the same throne. Good info. I've got a separate case for my pedals so no issue there.

Back