THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

additionally if you have not check out yet here you can see and listen to how it sounds:

i have the 6.5x14 by the way. this snare is slightly different than what i have bought. mine has longer lugs and it doesn't have that embossed metal tama logo on it like the one shown in the picture. color of the maple finish is the same and mine has what is called the mighty hoop (i have no idea actually what difference does it make). it has killer rim-shots though. :)

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?itemid=58176 - there is a video section in the page

TAM1465BM.jpg

Last edited:
please help!!!
right... i have a day or two to decide over 3 snares.... i can't get to any of them to listen to them 1st hand........... aaargh!
so...
does anyone have a review for the yamaha oak custom 14x7 or a musashi 13x6.5. or a pork pie curly maple 14x6.
i don't know any of them and i can find reviews for the musashi and the custom but not the pork pie.
i'm a rock/blues/funk drummer with a catalina maple kit tuned low, i've never heard any of these snares before and would like an honest opinion if anyone has the time.
ideally i'd like a versatile snare that when open has some real projection and is sensitive on ghost shots but can be tightened to give some funky push snap type thing.
i've read the thread and agree that its best to look/listen/check out / compare what's out there but some times things get thrown at you (i'm not complaining!) and you need some sound advice....please
many thanks[/QUO

Of the three snares that you mention, I've played the Yamaha Oak Custom. I have to say that I really liked it; enjoyed playing it.
It had a good tuning range and tuned tight it has a nice snappy sound.
A very easy drum to play.

I played the Pork Pie Curly Maple at Guitar Center this past weekend. I really liked it, what little time I got to play it before getting ran off by a salesman. It seemed really responsive; ghost notes were fine. I thought it sounded great - nice crack, not too ringy (which I don't like) but a very pleasing resonance. Rim shots sounded good. Didn't get a chance to try any cross-sticking. It was apparently loud enough since the GC salesman saw fit to tell me to keep it down!

Hello,

I just purchased a Ludwig s402 superphonic and sounds great!

I have a Ludwig Chrome 5 inch supraphonic that is incredible and also a Yamaha Elvin Jones Custom Maple Signature 6.5 inch. both are fantastic and I use them together with the Elvin as a left side snare. Its nice to have a maple and a steel snare as they both are incredibly different sounding. I use the supraphonic for rock mostly and the Elvin for a variety of different things and also to mix up fills and to create interesting snare patterns I use them both simultaneously sometimes.

Spaun snare drums are the best. I played a 7x14 double hollowbody hybrid snare. It sounded just as good as it looked.

I also own a Spaun steel vented snare drum in black wrinkle. Its the loudest most responsive thing I've ever played.

Attachments

• Spaun Double Hollowbody.jpg
    Spaun Double Hollowbody.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,975
  • Spaun Steel Vented in Black Wrinkle.jpg
    Spaun Steel Vented in Black Wrinkle.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 2,959
Spaun snare drums are the best. I played a 7x14 double hollowbody hybrid snare. It sounded just as good as it looked.

I also own a Spaun steel vented snare drum in black wrinkle. Its the loudest most responsive thing I've ever played.

Apparently you don't get to play many snare drums then... ;)

Pork Pie 13' lil squealer, it's a great, fat, groovy pocket snare drum. And only like 250.00 bucks.

incredible.

I have three faves:

- Tama The Monarch Simon Phillips (for it's fine overtones and a quick response, very aggressive yet subtle. Love it)

- Tama The Gladiator Simon Phillips (my favorite metall shell snare ever, a dream when high pitched)

- SCS 10x5 side snare (Swiss Custom), the finest small side snare I have ever heard, it's a beast!!!

my favourite snare right now is my pork pie maple 12x5 lil squealer, it was quite the deal, it has the nicest "crack" and works for alot of music styles

mine's a yamaha oak custom 14x6 silver sparkle

oh yes, oh yes.

OooK guys, I'm looking for a snare and I was hoping I could get some advice/insight/suggestions from some of you.
Here is what I am looking for:
I really like the sound of Carter Beauford's snare, but I think it is a current prototype that he and Yamaha are working on. To my best knowledge it is 14"x6.5"
The sound that I like from this can be found on their myspace page, the song is Drive In Drive Out in their music player.
Link: DMB Myspace page

I also play some songs with a Reggae/Island feel much like Chad Sexton's snare in one particular song : Amber (but with slightly less ring)
Link: Amber by 311

So heres the deal, I want to be able to get something similar to those two sounds out of the same snare. If that's possible.
With my current snare I have it tuned in such a way that when I hit off-center I can get that ring I am looking for, and when I play a rimshot with the head of the stick toward the center I can get the kind of sound I am looking for from a "Carter-like" snare. If I have to end up getting more than one snare to get the sounds I want, then that is understandable.

I would like to try to keep cost down below $700 if that is possible.

I'm not very knowledgable about tuning and even less knowledgable about snares, so ANY help at all will be greatly appreciated.

I currently own five snares:

2x10" Sonor Jungle Snare
5x12" Pork Pie Little Squealer
5.5x13" vented Spaun acrylic (for sale)
5x14" Yamaha Birch Custom
6.5x14" Ludwig Accent (sounds better than it should)

Fett - I know Carter is listed on the Yamaha site as using the Roy Haynes snare, but I've also seen him use a Dunnett metal something (looked like titanium). And if you want that sound, you'll want a single-ply head, like a G1 (as he has used in the past, more of a 'pop) or an Ambassador.

Last edited:
I apparently own THE GREATEST SNARE DRUM IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM. At least the best of a selection of snares that debuted in the last year that was decided by anonymous readers of DRUM! magazine. I'm just sayin'

Attachments

• drummie_front_page.jpg
    drummie_front_page.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 3,053
  • SnareLogo.JPG
    SnareLogo.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,926
  • SnareStand.JPG
    SnareStand.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,959
  • SnareReso.JPG
    SnareReso.JPG